Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure that our fridge is working on 12v when we're driving. We've been in France and Spain for 9 weeks and every time we drive for any length of time there is water in the fridge when we stop and the frozen stuff seems to have defrosted slightly. It's an Autotrail with automatic switch over and it is showing battery on the fridge display when the engine is running. At the start of our trip I thought it was the warm weather but it's very cold now and the water is still there after a run. It's still under dealer warranty. How can I check that it's working? It's going back in for a couple of other problems so I can ask them to check but I'd like to know for sure.
Thanks
Mags

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if things are defrosting it cannot be working properly. so i would tell the dealer it dont keep down to temperature on 12v and get them to check it out.
then if i were you i would check its keeping its temp after they say its fixed.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Does your fridge have the big vents on the MH wall which require the winterisation below a certain temperature. They simply clip on with a single lock on each using a quarter turn.

I had the reverse problem of it not staying cold when I was driving South in France, consistent temperatures in the high twenties.

Finally and under duress (being a bloke) I read the instructions - doh, took the panels off, very simple and popped them safely in an overhead locker.

This may help, I hope it does.

The other thing I learned - having finally succumbed to reading instructions - was the reason the gas boiler which worked perfect on electric but just would not play on gas was because I had not removed the exterior vent cover. Yes - doh again!

It is becoming easier to read the instructions now.....

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have just had the same problem but mine is a manual energy selection fridge. I tested the cooling function by putting a fridge thermometer inside the fridge. I could tell that it was working on gas or mains but the temperature rose once we were travelling. Assuming the fridge is not left open for long, the 12V supply should be able to maintain a low temperature.
My fault turned out to be a poor connection in the 12V line from the Elektroblock to the fridge, caused by arcing at some point in the past and a burnt connector. In your case I would suspect either a blown fuse or a dodgy connection somewhere. Just tell the supplying dealer what the symptoms are and leave it to them to sort out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It could of course be the usual reason: that the OEM wiring is underspecified. I've rarely seen more than 11v at the fridge with the engine running on any motorhome. Decently wired the fridge will freeze its entire contents when on 12v.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back