Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I thought it would be nice to have a new computer, so I went to the Pound shop but could not find one, they had a ruler with a calculator but it would not pick up the internet! ;)
Anyway I found some pointless items and went to the till knowing the items are a pound each, makes sense it's the Pound shop, "do you want a carrier bag sir they are 5p each", now surely if it's the Pound shop they should be a Pound :confused:.

So let's get you all going, what do you think of this pathetic carrier bag ruling?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Since finishing work due to ill health I've started walking to the village every day with my 'Roy Cropper' shopping bag, must say I se a lot more people using them now. (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Was looking at Google earth for something, then noticed the amount of nasty looking sludge coming out of the local sewage works outfall pipe. Most works are often said to overloaded particularly during winter and just vent directly into local watercourses. This seems to be a far higher priority than to sort out plastic bags to me!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
agree 100% about plastic carrier bags.. we use stout carrier bags from a couple of French supermarkets ..

but ..

I bought a birthday card in WH Smiths and they wanted 5p for a tiny little plastic bag.. I think that is taking it too far

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Morrisons "bag for life" are the dogs do da's, 40p to buy, once its gets tatty simply hand it back and get a new one.

Better quality bags and you're "in profit" after 8 weeks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
agree 100% about plastic carrier bags.. we use stout carrier bags from a couple of French supermarkets ..

but ..

I bought a birthday card in WH Smiths and they wanted 5p for a tiny little plastic bag.. I think that is taking it too far
Yep, that is profiteering,
They don't have any choice do they?
Having said that, I agree 100% with the new rule. We have been using our own bags for years.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't know if they have or haven't a choice.. .. but probably they don't.. can't imagine WHS breaking the law..

it just feels like you are being ripped off being charge 5p for a small plastic envelope to carry a card home ..
They were doing that well before the new ruling, my answer to them is a polite 'no thanks'

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
To me taking my own shopping bags is normal, seems old hat to expect plastic bags now. It's amazing the difference it has made in Wales over the last few years, you used to see old plastic bags stuck in trees in hedge rows etc, now in all honesty it is unusual to see plastic bag litter anywhere.

One of the better laws I think.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know if they have or haven't a choice.. .. but probably they don't.. can't imagine WHS breaking the law..

it just feels like you are being ripped off being charge 5p for a small plastic envelope to carry a card home ..
That's the point though isn't it? To wean people off using plastic bags as much as possible. If people feel ripped off then they might be deterred more quickly :)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
How on earth did we ever get the shopping home before plastic bags?

Not many had cars then either!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
No problem with supermarkets, that's where the majority of cheap plastic bags emanate but when we go in M&S and spend £100 or more and then get asked if we want a bag it gets a bit rich. Yeah I know, we spend a fortune on a new motorhome and shouldn't flinch at 5p for a bag but there's a limit to how many plastic bags the wife can get in her handbag for that impulse buy.

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Why can't we go back to the days when they supplied brown paper (sack like) bags before the introduction of wafer thin plastic bags that you can't put more than three items in before ripping a huge hole in the side

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's the point though isn't it? To wean people off using plastic bags as much as possible. If people feel ripped off then they might be deterred more quickly :)

already said I agree and happy to comply with the plastic bag laws.. not an issue..

but to charge 5p for a bag to put a card or 4oz of sweets in.. ?

.. as I read it , it's also breaking the law.. the bag in question (for the card ) doesn't have handles..

read here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities
Bags you charge for
You must charge at least 5p a bag (including VAT) for carrier bags that are all of the following:

• unused - it’s new and hasn’t already been used for sold goods to be taken away or delivered
  • plastic and 70 microns thick or less
  • it has handles, an opening and isn’t sealed

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Oh and another thing. I bought a new laptop in John Lewis on Friday, lot of shuffling about at the pay desk printing stuff off and the like and the boxed laptop was pushed across to me. "Don't you have a bag?" I said. "Erm we have to charge for them Sir" Remembering they used to supply large sturdy paper bags I said "what even the paper ones, I don't fancy carrying that back to the car under my arm?". "Oh, I'll see if I can find one large enough". Sure enough a bag with sturdy string handles was produced and off I went showing little interest in the rest of the shopping that day. Damn bag suddenly tumbles to one side and nearly hits the floor, the string/cord handle had parted company with the bag, I carried it under my arm back to the car. :rolleyes:

Oh and the laptop is Win 8 and sits forlornly awaiting time for me to upgrade to Win 10 before I can begin to fill it with junk.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Here's the rules
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities

Mum used to make me carry 10 bags up each arm & walk the mile home.:)

Just seems ridiculous to me when we use plastic bags for the toilets, picking up after the dogs etc; & now I buy them by the 00's down the chinese shop.:LOL: Fortunately we haven't started charging here yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Morrisons "bag for life" are the dogs do da's, 40p to buy, once its gets tatty simply hand it back and get a new one.

Better quality bags and you're "in profit" after 8 weeks.
Sainsbury do the same....but theirs are only 10p.

We have no end of heavy type reusable plastic bags from sainsbury and morrisons but we tend to take them in the house to empty them, then they get shoved in the bag cupboard to be forgotton about.
Now i throw everything back in the trolley, go to the car and unload directly into the boot.
When i get home i load into Aldi cardboard boxes to take indoors.
Takes just as long as packing instore.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
They could make brown paper bags with embedded biodegradable string to give strength and longevity, I would pay 5p for one of those. Back to the point, many retailers in recent years have sensibly rounded up their prices so if like today I was paying £40 for an item of clothing and only had £10 notes on me, being a bloke I don't even think of carrying my own bag so the assistant has to find all that change from a tenner, so for the sake of 5p why don't they reduce the items to 5p under the nominal figure or not charge the customer for the bag instead just pay the fee themselves.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Shopping in Sainsburys the other day the cashier told us a customer came in and produced a roll of plastic bags to pack his shopping, bought in the Pound Shop, 40 on a roll I think she said for a errm, a pound.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Shopping in Sainsburys the other day the cashier told us a customer came in and produced a roll of plastic bags to pack his shopping, bought in the Pound Shop, 40 on a roll I think she said for a errm, a pound.

Hey, an entrepreneur opportunity!(y) See you on Dragon's Den soon.:notworthy:
Get a few rolls of plastic bags and stand at the checkout flogging them for 4p each undercutting the checkout girl \ guy!:giggle:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Get it home?
That was easy.

They sent No. 1 son (bloody me!) with a list as long as Schindler' s to the CO OP (divvy No. 33338).
The "order" was then packed in a damn great cardboard box for No.1 son (still bloody me!) to struggle home with.

No wonder we are a generation of bad backs,eh?

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some shops have gone back to paper bags for small items and they can give them out free

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The British public have always demanded that everything is put into a bag.
In my previous life I used to sell, among many other things, vacuum cleaner bags.
They're paper bags, wrapped in a clear plastic bag and just about every customer would ask, much to my amusement, for a bag to put their bag full of bags in.
How wasteful and cranky is that?

Richard.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
already said I agree and happy to comply with the plastic bag laws.. not an issue..

but to charge 5p for a bag to put a card or 4oz of sweets in.. ?

.. as I read it , it's also breaking the law.. the bag in question (for the card ) doesn't have handles..

read here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities
Bags you charge for
You must charge at least 5p a bag (including VAT) for carrier bags that are all of the following:

• unused - it’s new and hasn’t already been used for sold goods to be taken away or delivered
  • plastic and 70 microns thick or less
  • it has handles, an opening and isn’t sealed
That being the case I should be going into WH Smith for another card and challenge them when they try to charge for a bag :) Not that I'm awkward of course :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back