Vatersay (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
On our last trip to the beautiful islands of the Outer Hebridese we went to the Isle of Barra , where they have an airport on the beach . http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/barra/airport/
Then on to Vatersay.
"If you take a drive around the island of Vatersay , you’re likely to stumble upon a very interesting discovery, behind which lies a tragic tale. Just off the road (there’s really only one) as it runs around the east of the island you will find a black stone memorial, and scattered around it, the scattered wreckage of an aircraft.
The plane is a Catalina, built by the Americans in the 1930s and 1940s as a long-range patrol plane and often referred to as a flying boat for its ability to land and take off at sea. This particular plane was being used by the RAF during WW2 and was operating from Oban. On the night of 12th May 1944 the plane took off with nine crew on board for a training exercise. They were due to fly over the nearby point of Barra Head, but lost their way and found themselves well off their intended course. The pilot tried in vain to gain altitude and the plane crashed into the side of the nearby hill Heishavel Beag. Three of the crew were killed, with six surviving the crash."
The wreckage is still there. Right next to the roadside down the hillside.
I thought I'd post some pictures for those who've never seen it. If you drive further on you'll come across yet another lovely beach too.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Barra airport the tide was just going out when we visited.
We had a very nice hot smoked salmon salad baguette and some home made soup while there too. The hand luggage was still checked for size , in one if those steel frames too.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 9

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We spent a night at the village hall when we visited, sat and watched the dolphins swim in the bay on the left as you head for the village/settlement truly stunning place like all the islands.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Spent a week on Barra a few years ago, pre-moho days, came into Castlebay on the ferry without a car so all travelling on foot (& bus to get our luggage to the out-going ferry at North Bay). Walked round Barra and Vatersay - wonderful walks. Beautiful islands, the most superb sunsets over the machair; glorious white beaches, seals in the bay & cattle on the beach on Vatersay; lochans full of flowering waterlillies, airport on the beach, & interesting castle in the bay at Barra .....
Thanks for bringing back the memories @Ralph-n-Bev :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The Catalina is a beautiful aircraft, it purrs through the sky, saw one at Ayr airshow this year, along with the Vulcan.
Jacques Cousteau also used one for his diving explorations.
B]

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
We used to go to Barra every 2-3 months via the car and stay there for a few days. I then bought a 30ft yacht with the idea of sailing there. Sailing is just so slow and weather dependent that we have not been there for a while. We are picking up our first MH(used) in two weeks and after a shake down trip, heading towards Barra. Some of the nicest people I have met live there. I should have bought one of these MH's years ago to break the trip. Great pictures thanks for sharing....itchy feet now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We used to go to Barra every 2-3 months via the car and stay there for a few days. I then bought a 30ft yacht with the idea of sailing there. Sailing is just so slow and weather dependent that we have not been there for a while. We are picking up our first MH(used) in two weeks and after a shake down trip, heading towards Barra. Some of the nicest people I have met live there. I should have bought one of these MH's years ago to break the trip. Great pictures thanks for sharing....itchy feet now.
You'll love it in the Motorhome. Plenty of lovely wild camping spots.
Although a lot of the Hebredian roads are single track, there's plenty passing places. We found it easy enough in our previous motorhome last year. But this year in "pug" getting around and to all the out of the way places was a doddle.
On this trip we started right up at the top if the islands . At the Butt of Lewis. See pics and worked our way right down to the very bottom island Bernaray . We love the Hebridese . Even though this years weather wasn't as sunny. We didn't have midges , anywhere, and it stayed dry !
The Butt is the most northernly point of the Hebrides .http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lewis/buttoflewis/
We found a great wilding spot just before we got to the light house. Two concrete slabs off the road. I'm guessing it may have been a hut or storage for fishermen at some point. But it came in very handy . No one around except us . Bliss.
Even through the day you'd just get the odd car going by to see the light house.
A slope down to another deserted lovely beach ( port stroth )
We had a very tame seagull. He was obviously used to being fed ! He'd sit on a fence post outside the window.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Brilliant photos, anymore, can not wait now to get back up there in March.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Loads and loads @pops .
From top to bottom....
image.jpg
Ullapool. ( below) Note the sea wall. THIS IS FOR OUR OWN GOOD!
When we were here they had a festival on. We still managed to wild camp. Though there were campervans all over the shop. The campsites in the area were full, as were all the nice wilding spots. The local car parks even had caravans in them , and the odd tent ! Fortunately we had a ferry the following morning so we camped in the ferry parking lane. No risk of Johnny Foreigner sneaking into the van up there, yet !
image.jpeg
Our next ferry to catch. So many ferries and only 3 weeks ........
image.jpeg

Below are a couple of spots where we parked up . For the day.
image.jpeg
image.jpg

In fact we overnighted below. I can't remember the spot and Ralph's in the middle of brewing a treacle stout so I daren't interrupt
image.jpg

Buster sight seeing.
image.jpeg

Moooooo. Loads in the road. Not wanting to move. Very placid and calm looking......Ralph said get out see if you can shoo them away...... I didn't though. I think he was bothered about the horns an Pugs paintwork haha.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Brings back so many memories :)

How warm was is?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Another great spot. Huisinis beach . A single 16 mile road to get to it . No good for staying over in big Rv's but we did it in our ci mizar as we were lucky to get on the carpark. Which also has a loo . Enough space for around 6 cars. Maybe if you get there early ?
image.jpeg
You can just see pug in the distance above the rusty left hand side buoy.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the little carpark. Before you decide to make the trip down to this beautiful spot. Last year we went and wore shorts and t shirts ! This year, same time was folder but dry and midge free . Beautiful
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Was the car park Huisinis beach?
Yes , where the photos above are. There's also a tap for water too.
@TheWM last year we had fab weather. Sunbathing .... But no summer clothes with us. But this year it was dry, midge free but very windy in some spots. It was dry and sunny though. We even had tshirts on some days.
We'd parked on the sand dunes, there was white sand in every orrifice of Pug! It was our first proper adventure in him since Ralph built him earlier this year. The Hebridean islands are fantastic. Peaceful , beautiful, I'd like to think we could escape up there if it all went T!ts up , down here. Shove all the kids in the van ( whether they wanted to go or not ) and disappear !

Last edited:

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Yes , where the photos above are. There's also a tap for water too.
@TheWM last year we had fab weather. Sunbathing .... But no summer clothes with us. But this year it was dry, midge free but very windy in some spots. It was dry and sunny though. We even had tshirts on some days.
We'd parked on the sand dunes, there was white sand in every orrifice of Pug! It was our first proper adventure in him since Ralph built him earlier this year. The Hebridean islands are fantastic. Peaceful , beautiful, I'd like to think we could escape up there if it all went T!ts up , down here. Shove all the kids in the van ( whether they wanted to go or not ) and disappear !

I've been told that the weather is pretty mild there given the gulf stream. When we went, I had no hesitation is moving there, MissWM wasn't so sure! Your photos make me want to go again, I'm in Scotland next week, but heading up the mountains. Perhaps I could detour....

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
I lived on Lewis and Betty Hill for a while. Fantastic place and people and a great place to run for doomsday prepers. Now I am not saying things will get bad in the UK but I have two routes one by road and one by boat. You can not be to careful lol. Back-packs ready to go...

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Oh yes , we've thought about it......moving up there.
We saw this beauty on Eriskay. In a remote part.
When we parked up. Walked up the track we weren't prepared for what we saw when we walked around the other side of the house. Which was the back !
image.jpeg

Ralph was taking a picture as I saw a seal.
image.jpeg

The seal followed us looking all the time at what we were doing. It made me wonder if it knew the house owner, before they left, or died.
It wasn't for sale. Just rotting away. Such a shame.
image.jpeg

We walked along the side of the sea shore. It was like an estuary . You can still see the house in the distance below , and dreamed for a bit ! Him being a builder and being able to do the house up...........
image.jpeg

It even had an old croft in its garden , with a tiny door I had to stoop to get into.
image.jpeg
I wonder how many haggis n tatties had been cooked in the range. Mmmmm maybe we could make this into a rental cottage...... Dreaming........
image.jpeg

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I wanted (still want) to buy this...

You must have passed in on the road to Huishnish?

image.jpeg

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Thanks @Ralph-n-Bev fab pictures, bring back good memories. We found it a lot easier to get around the islands with the PVC than the coachbuilt (bailey745) and we could get to places we could not go before. Roll on March.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes thanks for sharing! Great photos - brought back many happy memories from our tour of the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago.

Mike

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Thanks @Ralph-n-Bev fab pictures, bring back good memories. We found it a lot easier to get around the islands with the PVC than the coachbuilt (bailey745) and we could get to places we could not go before. Roll on March.
What was the problem with the bailey745,was it the length?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Pugs an xlwb @ 6.4 mtrs. Our old MH the Ci was around the same length but wider. We still got about , no problems. We found it easier this time , pug being narrower. Which meant we could go /park up places where a bigger longer wider MH maybe wouldn't. This was us last year in the ci at Huisinis . You can see the carpark at a different angle . It's a square shape.
Ok once there. But if the carpark was full , we'd have struggled to get on anywhere else down there. You could turn around at the farm at the end of the road or turn right , just after the carpark and go on to another carpark area on the grass , we've not been around there yet. I think there's another beach over there.
This pic or the carpark , was around 6pm teatime. It's best to get there first thing in the morning or later in the evening. Fortunately we were given this advice. I'm guessing it would be quite busy in the holiday season.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
@Dafydd_Cymru The width. We had a Kontiki 620 before and toured all over Scotland and did not take any notice, but the bailey we were not relax driving and that spoiled the holidays so it had to go. Gone to New Zealand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back