Aire Within Santander City Limits - Alternative To Cabarceno (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Newish Aire opened by the airport/marina for motorhomes. Good overnighter and long overdue in Santander area. Private aire (€6) with water and toilet emptying services. We also enjoyed electric hookup but probably a chargeable option in busier times. Not the prettiest area but very handy especially for those heading eastwards on from the port.
Anyway, details:
Area Marina de Santander
Avenida de Tomada S/n
Camargo
N43*25'38"
W3*48'18"

Yacht club nearby might offer showers but not tested.
Good view of incoming aircraft into Santander airport.
Aire is amongst yacht repair yards so possibly noisy during working days but I assume most will move on after a good nights sleep. Quiet at night wit regular Guardia patrols.

Apologies if this aire has already been mentioned.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I've looked on Google maps and can see the general area , which part of the boatyards is it in ? Cheers n good find !

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Its past some industrial units which lead into the marina itself. Follow the marina road which runs parallel to the runway - although probably not too visible from the vehicle - until you get to a curve with a bar/restaurant on the corner (rhs) along with some boaty workshops. Just further along on the right is the aire. There is a motorhome sign and at first you might think its not the right place but it is. Water services are beyond the parking bays. A bit rough and ready but very acceptable.
Payment is strange. Officially there is a phone number to call (+0034 679715479) but the very helpful marina guy said that someone would be round anyway. I phoned and I think he fell off his chair as he didnt expect such honesty. (If only he really knew me!,, but that's another tale!)

The aire is now also shown on a Spanish Aires website which I have found to be invaluable and very very extensive:

Www.lapaca.org

In Spanish but the gist is clearish!

(A Spanish motorhomer from the .Santander area had told me about this aire when I met him in Arcade near Vigo.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have stayed in the marina in a boat a couple of times, but several years ago. There is a half decent restaurant in the marina above the marina reception, which I would guess is the other side of the marina to this aire. Can you get into the marina from the aire?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Just found this thread...

The marina website says that the office closes at 7.30 pm in winter. We're not due to dock until 6.15 pm and, by the time we get to the marina, it could well be past 7.30 pm. Does that matter ? Is it open access/ all hours ?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I stayed there a couple of weeks back, no one came to collect, access is unlocked, only about 6 places but you can always park outside if busy. There are 3 16 amp electric points, water and a new dump. The marina office is further round and there is a good restaurant/bar above it.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thanks very much. Added to Favourites on sat nav.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
There is a restaurant virtually next door but the one over the office is more bistro/tapas style and nicer. You are next to the runway but it is not Heathrow:D

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Even if no-one calls around to collect money, please telephone the number given. This will wncourage the owners to keep it open as a badly needed Aire.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Even if no-one calls around to collect money, please telephone the number given. This will wncourage the owners to keep it open as a badly needed Aire.

No problem. Will do. Do you know how long it has been open ? Looking at how suitable the marina is and knowing the problems associated with arriving late on the ferry, it's a wonder that someone has not latched onto the idea of opening an aire there before. Perhaps if all us foreign motorhomers had put the idea to the marina owners themselves some years ago they might have opened one ages ago ? !

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well there was no phone number or instructions on the gate so not sure where that went and when we got to the office the night guy did not speak any English, and our French is good for basics, but explaining that we were in a motor home and not a boat.....

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Well there was no phone number or instructions on the gate so not sure where that went and when we got to the office the night guy did not speak any English, and our French is good for basics, but explaining that we were in a motor home and not a boat.....

Lol. Typical of Spain! No wonder the guy nearly fell of his chair when
I phoned.
I think I got the number from the Spanish Motorhomers website (La Paca). Anyway, I know that like most, you would also gladly pay any dues if it encouraged Aires availabilities in Spain.
All the best!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
No problem. Will do. Do you know how long it has been open ? Looking at how suitable the marina is and knowing the problems associated with arriving late on the ferry, it's a wonder that someone has not latched onto the idea of opening an aire there before. Perhaps if all us foreign motorhomers had put the idea to the marina owners themselves some years ago they might have opened one ages ago ? !

Not open long. A Spaniard told me about the place when we were in Asturias heading home last April. Looked it up on La Paca and hey presto, there it was.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
On certain things, the Spanish are not the sharpest cookies.
Almost everywhere you go, as motorhomers we can see the potential and benefit for any town/village. I guess that the bureaucracy is enough to put paid to such ideas.

Whilst the increasing number of Aires is to be greatly appreciated, I can't help but feel that Spanish aires are being catered for mainly by private individuals and enterprises. As I say, better that than none at all.

However, I would prefer that the local Ayuntamientos take up the cause and build aires to benefit their own communities. Private aires obviously have to make economic sense and my impression is that as a result they usually build them with all-facilitles as understandably, they need to ensure year-round business. This in turn encourages long-termers which in turn fill up these aires and in many cases, the transiting motorhomer - which we are - do not get a look-in.
Ayuntamiento-run Aires, would have minimal services - water waste and toilet emptying - and a maximum permitted time of 48/72 hours at a low cost, which most motorhomers would gladly pay. Much like the French style.

In summary, what I guess that I am trying to say is that there should be camp sites, semi-campsites (private all-facilities aires) and touring time-constrained stop-over aires.

Just my thoughts on the subject as we tour this beautiful country off-season.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Just to update: we had a peaceful night,on our own, at the aire at the marina in mid- December. We were very pleased to know about it as we did not get off the boat until nearly 10 pm and were glad we did not have to go on to Carbaceno.

Next morning we drove round to the port offices and paid our 6 euros and were asked what we thought could be done to improve the aire. Signposting from the road ( though the instructions and coordinates we had were spot on),and some easier way of paying ( perhaps via the chandlery shop next door ?) were our immediate thoughts. It's worth going up to the port offices to pay for the 360 deg panoramic view from them !

We used the water( 2 taps, one for drinking and one for rinsing) and the chemical toilet dump but did not dump grey water as the drive over dump point was on a concrete platform and we were not prepared to risk the underneath of the van. We also plugged in to the 10 amp ( 16 amp ?) EHU but we were not charged for that.

Very straightforward to find from the ferry arrival point and we shall certainly use it on the way home.

Thanks very much for the heads- up.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for the link @sciac2001

No offence -But would disagree slightly with your last post. Spain has many time more aires than UK and far far better roads.

How come? should we perhaps be questioning our own bureacracy for not being as forward thinking as Spain.

Jon

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Spain has many time more aires than UK and far far better roads.

How come? should we perhaps be questioning our own bureacracy for not being as forward thinking as Spain.

Jon
And our bureaucracy is controlling, narrow-minded, fearful of change, and afraid of contamination by "undesirables".

There's also a good municipal Aire at Vitoria-Gasteiz, about half an hour from Bilbao.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
And caceres and placencia, etc etc etc.

And have you seen the roads around bilbao.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
And have you seen the roads around bilbao.
Yes. First time we came off the boat we took a wrong turn and ended up in Bilbao. Fortunately, the sat nav got us out again. This time it was ok, but you have to keep your wits about you, so many turn-off's and cars, lorries, zooming past. Going to the port seems much easier.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the link @sciac2001

No offence -But would disagree slightly with your last post. Spain has many time more aires than UK and far far better roads.

Jon

No offence taken at all...

I wasn't comparing it v.v UK.( I had long-since lost any hope of seeing Aires or any motorhome-friendly activities in UK.)
I was just commenting that I would dearly love to see the local Ayuntamientos set the Aires up rather than private individuals/companies, who to entice customers would make them too sophisticated and therefore more expensive. Local Authority run Aires need only cater for transiting motorhomers with emptying and refilling facilities and without showers/electricity etc. This would also help the local economies more directly.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
Stayed at the Aire last week, after just coming off the boat. Will use again

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We used the Aires three weeks ago as it was after 10 when we disembarked from our ferry which had been delayed by bad weather.
It was Perfect for a late stop and an early getaway.
I love Cabarceno and have stayed there several times butIt would have been a nightmare to get there in the dark with ferocious wind and pouring rain.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Planning on staying there on Saturday night, when we get off the ferry. Is it easy to find?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back