Barbecue yes/no (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We have actually purchased three barbecues over a couple of years on the basis of one being better than the last,however, we have never used any!! When it actually comes to getting it out I just can't be bothered with the hassle and we have had both Gas/Charcoal.

I personally think it's all overrated but the biggest bugbear for me is the smoke,stink,smell, particularly if it's fish being scorched! That you are inflickting on your neighbors I would hate to do it to others since I cannot tolerate it myself.

We were on a site this year when a barbecue had a 3' chimney affair sat atop of it presumably to draw it in order to get it going,it was the same as a steam train smoke smothered about 20 MH's/Caravans and nobody spoke to him,we were eating out and saw it on our way off site.

Why smoke people out,stink people out and ruin good meat?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Nothing worse than a badly run barbecue. I'm on an American BBQ forum and it's transformed my idea of barbecue. Us Brits have a get together in the summer at Woodhall Spa campsite every year, and you won't eat tastier food anywhere, and not a cremated sausage or raw in the middle chicken leg in sight (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Gas BBQ and a twin ring cooker with grill. Both plug into side of van and work brilliantly, smoke, burned food? Your doing it wrong. (n)

This. Whilst a BBQ is pretty simple, if you don't know what you're doing then it can be quite easy to get it wrong.

My own personal view is that gas BBQ's are the devil's work and should not be called a BBQ, more an outside cooker. However, the more I see and use them, especially the big ones that can cater for 100 people, I do see how beneficial they can be.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We won't have one ourselves, but are willing to eat well prepared food from a bbq if some one else is cooking (we'll bring the beers) !!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What's this cooking food on a BBQ all about?:eek: Is it not Beer Bucket Quick!:confused:

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The main point is doing it on a site and inflicting it upon your neighbors I don't think they should be allowed really,after all you are pretty much on top of each other.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
The main point is doing it on a site and inflicting it upon your neighbors I don't think they should be allowed really,after all you are pretty much on top of each other.

I agree - badly setup BBQ's that smoke out everyone are not nice.

But setup correctly should not be a problem for anyone.

Besides, us brits love a BBQ, why would you want to stop one. I'd rather that people that don't like BBQ's stay indoors rather than ban them.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Why can't someone invent a tandoor oven for motorhomes? I would be the first in the queue if it's anything like as good as the one I have at home. That takes two hours to heat up and several hours to cool down as well as weighing a ton so it's not suitable for the van, but crikey, it makes the best tandoori lamb chops and chicken tikka you've ever tasted.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Isn't caravanning/motorhoming all about outdoor living? sitting outside eating and drinking and having a good old time? Isn't outdoor cooking / bbq ing all part of it? The last thing I'm going to worry about in this respect is the bloke next to me. They can always go in and shut their windows.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Isn't caravanning/motorhoming all about outdoor living? sitting outside eating and drinking and having a good old time? Isn't outdoor cooking / bbq ing all part of it? The last thing I'm going to worry about in this respect is the bloke next to me. They can always go in and shut their windows.

Hope that you are not serious.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We have actually purchased three barbecues over a couple of years on the basis of one being better than the last,however, we have never used any!! When it actually comes to getting it out I just can't be bothered with the hassle and we have had both Gas/Charcoal.

I personally think it's all overrated but the biggest bugbear for me is the smoke,stink,smell, particularly if it's fish being scorched! That you are inflickting on your neighbors I would hate to do it to others since I cannot tolerate it myself.

We were on a site this year when a barbecue had a 3' chimney affair sat atop of it presumably to draw it in order to get it going,it was the same as a steam train smoke smothered about 20 MH's/Caravans and nobody spoke to him,we were eating out and saw it on our way off site.

Why smoke people out,stink people out and ruin good meat?
Is this about BBQ in general or you moaning about BBQ on site?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Oh I'm serious alright, and the last thing i want to look at is the person sat there scowling at others because I'm doing something they don't like.I pay for my pitch and stick to the rules. Whats your problem with that?

I don't have issues with BBQs but it seems strange that you don't care that you are smoking someone out and ruining their enjoyment.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Is this about BBQ in general or you moaning about BBQ on site?

On site.

And to other replies that say go inside and shut the windows and such remarks, why.

We should be able to live in harmony,this requires give and take but inflicting your behavior on others with the retort go indoors,shut the doors whilst I do what l like is not harmonious.

I'm simply saying if the smell and smoke interferes with close neighbors it shouldn't be allowed and in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed. It's not like we're camping in the wilderness,were on site.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I don't have issues with BBQs but it seems strange that you don't care that you are smoking someone out and ruining their enjoyment.
ng of smoking anyone out, i said "Isn't caravanning/motorhoming all about outdoor living? sitting outside eating and drinking and having a good old time? Isn't outdoor cooking / bbq ing all part of it? The last thing I'm going to worry about in this respect is the bloke next to me. They can always go in and shut their windows."

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Doing what on site and inflicting what? Cooking BBQ style is great if you can do it; let's face it, it's not rocket science. What you should be complaining about is folks not cooking properly, not BBQ in general. Let's have a go at sh!te cooks, not BBQ(y)

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
On site.

And to other replies that say go inside and shut the windows and such remarks, why.

We should be able to live in harmony,this requires give and take but inflicting your behavior on others with the retort go indoors,shut the doors whilst I do what l like is not harmonious.

I'm simply saying if the smell and smoke interferes with close neighbors it shouldn't be allowed and in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed. It's not like we're camping in the wilderness,were on site.

Yes we could live in harmony if people live and let live, I'm sure you do things that irritate the hell out of people as do we all.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We were at Shell Island in September, you couldn't get away from the smell of bbq lighter fluid, never use the stuff myself.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like the smell of other people's barbecues.

It reminds me I am away and having some fun.

I admit that when I light mine I don't really think about my neighbours.

Surely it is to be expected that your neighbour might light up?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I like the smell of other people's barbecues.

It reminds me I am away and having some fun.

I admit that when I light mine I don't really think about my neighbours.

Surely it is to be expected that your neighbour might light up?

Expected yes, but consideration for the direction of wind etc should be made.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
On site.

Well, in which case, rather than not allowing it, I'd suggest you don't go camping (or at least where BBQ's are allowed).

Whilst I respect your view, what you are suggesting is that because you or others may not like it, then it should be stopped, period. That doesn't seem right, especially when camping is all about outdoors activity, including cooking.

I'd hazard a guess that over 80% of people that go camping partake in a BBQ/don't mind a BBQ being done, so should there be a blanket ban to make sure the minority of people don't get offended.

Where do you stop? Let's ban alcohol too, in case there are people that don't drink and don't like seeing people that do?

There needs to be an element of common sense about these types of issues.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Apologies. I jumped to a conclusion. I like BBQs too but would only feel as if going inside would get away from the BBQ if it were smoking like a steam train.
Yip, crap BBQ'er if that is a word. A bit of smoke is fine. Choo Choo train, not so much.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back