Alde boiler just went 'pop'. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Loading up the van today ready to get away on Monday morning and I put the heating on low to warm the van up a bit.
It was starting to get nicely warm when there was a metallic 'ping', the water pump started running and steam issued out of the vents by the boiler.
Quickly turned off the water pump and the heating and found a nice puddle of clean, warm water under the boiler and around the battery compartment underneath. The flow stopped as soon as I turned the pump off.
I can't see where the water is coming from but it seems to be from the left side where most of the pipe work is. I'll wait until its light in the morning to investigate further but if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be it would be a great help.

The van is only 7 months old and the heating and hot water was fine when we last used it 5 weeks ago.

Richard.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It was cold last night water in our rain but was frozen-it may have been a blockage in your boiler as they get cold very quickly due to the fins in the heat exchangers etc-is the rest of your system working? -ie water coming out of your hot tap( no boiler on)

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don't think anything got frozen although it was chilly it was about 5c inside and out.
Cant try the hot water as I had to shut the pump off quickly.
The rads seemed to be getting nice and warm although I hadn't been around to check them all.

Richard.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Ours blew a pipe off on a t piece next to boiler steam everywhere
2 minute to fix hours to clean up water
That sounds very likely, thanks.
There is a huge piece of exhaust trunking blocking the view and access to the side where the leak is. If I can get that off I might be able to see the wood for the trees.

Richard.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
If your water pump started then thats an indication that pressure was lost (as if a tap had been open) which indicates that a loss of pressure has happened and will be on the hot pipes as a) it was warm water which had leaked and b) it happened when your boiler was on and building pressure in the hot pipework. If your radiators are still getting warm and you have not lost any water from your Alde header tank then more than likely your hot water pipe from your boiler for domestic hot water (not heating) has come adrift. If you are facing the front of the boiler then the hot water outlet is at the back on the right hand side top.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Definately the domestic hot water side as the water was clean.
The heating side is filled with a purple coloured antifreeze
The boiler should have a pressure relief valve in the hot water outlet close to boiler.
It may be faulty and not letting excess pressure escape thus forcing a pipe to come adrift under high pressure.
But regardless of what caused it it is under warranty at 7 months old so let the dealer sort it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
But regardless of what caused it it is under warranty at 7 months old so let the dealer sort it.
Only problem is, the dealer is a three hour drive in the opposite direction to our intended route.
I'll have a furkle in the morning and see what can be done but might have to make a detour of a tidy few miles to get it sorted on Monday.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had a similar problem with ours, one of the bleed nipples failed (fell in two) dumped the fluid we refilled it the next morning new fluid mix all ok now. The bleed nipple concerned had never seen the light of day since it was installed two years before when it was new.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The van is only 7 months old and the heating and hot water was fine when we last used it 5 weeks ago.

If the van is only seven months old I would be taking it straight back to the dealer. It looks like a Carthago in your avatar and there are quite a few Carthago dealers up and down the country who should deal with any warranty claim. Alternatively have a word with Graham Cutmore font of all knowledge when it comes to Alde.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for all your help and advice folks.

Had a good look in daylight and the problem has been found. The hot water pipe from the boiler has burst a couple of inches from the coupling from the Alde.
Don't know how or why but there must have been a cut or fault in the pipe.
I've struggled this morning to loosen the clip and try to remove the pipe but I just can't get it off the union - can't really get my old hands in there to apply any pressure.
So, tomorrow it is a trek up the A14/M6 to the dealers and let them do what they are paid for.
Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Richard.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all your help and advice folks.

Had a good look in daylight and the problem has been found. The hot water pipe from the boiler has burst a couple of inches from the coupling from the Alde.
Don't know how or why but there must have been a cut or fault in the pipe.
I've struggled this morning to loosen the clip and try to remove the pipe but I just can't get it off the union - can't really get my old hands in there to apply any pressure.
So, tomorrow it is a trek up the A14/M6 to the dealers and let them do what they are paid for.
Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Richard.
Really happy to hear it is not a serious fault. Still irritating but a blown boiler would be far more of a problem.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

I rang our dealer, Go European, first thing on Monday morning and spoke to their new service manager. He told me that the workshop was chokka with work that they had to get out on time but would call me back within 15mins.
Sure enough he called back and said bring the van up and we will see what can be done.
It was a three hour drive but when we arrived he had an engineer ready to get on the job straight away and within an hour it was done.
The pipe had burst a couple of inches from the boiler outlet but I still don't really know why.

Now, instead of being at Devizes we are in Staffordshire for a couple of days before going south to @VanBitz to have some kit fitted and from there to France.

So, top marks and a gold star for Go European and Dave, their new and highly efficient service manager. We are all ready to moan and throw brickbats at dealers when they foul up so it's good to be able to give one a compliment for once.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back