She's getting worried!! Tunnel and or boat (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Err in doors is getting worried about the security on the tunnel and ferry boats. We travel via the tunnel about four times a year and have never had any concerns, but after all that has been going on over the last 10 days she beginning to question the security on both forms of transport.

When ever we have used the tunnel NOBODY has ever looked inside our van . Last time we used the tunnel in late August no checks were made. Has anybody used the tunnel/boat recently and are they checking inside vans.

colyboy

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am not worried if we give to these scum they have won. I can't see what difference another port will make.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well, you land away from Calais where the camp is for one thing.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We came home via the tunnel on Thursday and got a good once over by the French and British,steering wheel swabbed by the French and a sniffer dog and thorough search by the British.Never saw a single migrant at Calais either,maybe keeping their heads down after Paris.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
havent used the tunnel for a couple of months but whats going on in Paris would not deter me from the shuttle whatever.
we had our van checked by sniffer dogs and armed guards when we came back last time. but they did not enter the van.
dont see you have a problem. but, i would never and have never stopped within an hour of Calais on the way out or back. drive on drive off get away from Calais.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
If anything is going to happen, it would be very very long odds it would be on our /your trip on the boat or tunnel considering how many trips/ sailings a day on various routes.
It won't stop us (that's me) traveling twice next year & the following years.(y)(y)
It's like saying "I won't go on motorways as there dangerous" , again what are the odd's !!
Just my way of looking at it !!(n)
If your numbers up or it's your time . (n)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
The last thing the "refugees" want is the tunnel to be disabled. Why would they close up their best route.:confused:
Our return trip was two weeks ago but even then there seemed to be more checking of vehicles by the French guys.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
came back on the tunnel on Monday with absolutely no problems,
more French customs and police than usual and a quick check in the van but that was all,
no migrants to be seen but the weather was grotty with wind and rain so may have kept them in the bars/ cafes:)
with the tunnel it's straight onto the motorway so very unlikely to be held up, and when returning again straight off the motorway and right up to the check in at a good speed,
I think approaching the ferries terminals you are slowed down a good way out with empty ground both sides of the road so a good place to ambush law a binding citizen trying to get home,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am not worried if we give to these scum they have won. I can't see what difference another port will make.

colyboy
Always checked at Dunkirk . Inside van as well. Never been checked leaving from Dover though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

colyboy
If you want to play the percentage game then avoid popular ports. If they want to blow up a ferry by driving on a lorry full of explosives then my guess is they would go for somewhere which is well known, or the tunnel itself of course.

What are the chances of you being caught up in it? Minimal, probably more likely to be killed driving to the port. :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
@colyboy

I came back through the tunnel last week......................have you seen that FENCE! Reminds me of those bits of the wall around Berlin that the Sovs thought they might want to drive through in the seventies, no wall just a monster fence....this one at Coquelles is it's brother. (y)
As to getting a vehicle loaded with explosives onto the train.............nothings impossible but when you drive through the first check in look at the small sensors in the roadway and on posts beside you. More obvious at Folkestone but they're at Calais too, just newer so a bit smaller.(y)
Enjoy your next trip!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We got pulled over to one side beginning of this month at Poole, on our way out to Cherbourg. I joked with the girl that all the stowaways are at Dover. She said you would be surprised. Even the missus got patted down, I think because she had a big coat on. Think the girl looking in the camper just wanted a look inside to be honest.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We got pulled years ago coming of ferry here and were kept in shed for nearly two hours because wife's treatment for thyroid set of alarm..we had all the paperwork required, it made no difference as she was radioctive so still screened the vehicle with gigacounter?

Look if they want to build a lorry bomb they can rob a farm/agricultural supplier and get enough fertilizer to destroy a major London target..

How about you all stop reading the idiotic red top newspapers that hype everything out of proportion....

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
There is a deterrent to being searched! We were stopped for a customs check and the female officer was very interested to look in the rear garage (and the rest of the van, but I think she was just nosy). I opened the garage and as she leaned I suggested she mind the spider's web. All interest in the garage and a search evaporated and we were no our way.:LOL:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just crossed the border from France into Spain from Bayone to San Sebastian way. Police were there with guns andbalaclavas on. Just waved us through. Don't know if that's normal there or because of Paris incident.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back