Old Tech .. calculators, computers, etc. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hard to believe but this calculator is 33 years old.. from 1982.. and still working as good as new ..complete with instruction leaflet.

Wish I could say I had owned it from new.. bought it on ebay for a fiver.. they are becoming collectable..

I bought my very first pocket calculator in S Africa.. about 1974.. Red LED display.. it got melted by the sun while sitting on the car dashboard ..

I love 'old tech' can't bear to see it scrapped .. I have a couple of old laptops from the early part of this century.. a Dell from 2006, a Mac Powerbook g4 17" from 2005 .. both working..

Do you have any 'old tech' still working ?..

Casio LC-402

Casio Computer Co. Ltd.
Date manufactured: 1982
Made in Japan.

IMG_0212.JPG

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not quite that old but we still have a few things:
1) Casio HS-8B solar powered calculator which I bought brand new in August 1986 that still gets used from time to time.
2) Casio SF-4600 Digital Diary, bought around 20 years or so ago, but don't know if it works as it needs new batteries.
3) IBM Thinkpad bought around 1996/7 and kept because we needed a machine that ran Windows 3.11 when we had the business. The CMOS battery (which can't be replaced) went years ago and the main battery no longer holds a charge but it runs on mains power.

There may be some more crap valuable antiques up in the loft as well :)

I bought my first electronic pocket calculator some time in the 1970s to use at work. It was in great demand from colleagues so I had a rule that they could borrow it but the one who was using it when the batteries went flat (they didn't last so long in those days) had to buy new batteries.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I have had my trusty Sharp calculator for over 20 years. It's always by my side for my "creative writing" - quotes ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I was about to answer in a very serious way as I love old devices, hence me having an old Hymer, then all of a sudden another kind of answer came to my mind, getting slowly into shape..... Nah, I can't be that cheeky here.... It was quite funny though!
Let's be serious then.....I have an old digital Casio diary . I think I 've had it for about 25/30 years.
It's an SF-5590SY probably still working with new battery, as I think I have never used it!!

SL375925.JPG

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
I have a Sinclair Scientific. Built it myself as the kit was cheaper!! Must check to see if it works (when I find it).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just opposite the car park exit of the Asda we use in Thornaby is an office block called Ingram House. I was just reminiscing a couple of weeks ago that it is about 40 years since I implemented the first on-line transaction processing system in local government (in the north east if not the country) in that same office block. It was around the same time that I sent my first e-mail, between that office and Middlesbrough town hall where our mainframe was located.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got a Compaq lappie in the loft that's still working. Think it's c1994 with Win 95 on it. 64Mb (not Gb!) hard disc. Floppy disc drive (not CD \ DVD drive!).
Also it's replacement another Compaq (c1998) with Win 98SE on it.
My 1970's slide rule is still kicking about somewhere as well.
Oh, and still got the same Casio calculator as you, no instructions though.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My solar desk calculator at work is about 22 years old and still going strong(y)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Just opposite the car park exit of the Asda we use in Thornaby is an office block called Ingram House. I was just reminiscing a couple of weeks ago that it is about 40 years since I implemented the first on-line transaction processing system in local government (in the north east if not the country) in that same office block. It was around the same time that I sent my first e-mail, between that office and Middlesbrough town hall where our mainframe was located.
@GJH what company were you working for at the time?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH ah, it was just that at that time I was working for NCR corporation and we were putting in similar systems.
At that time we were developing all software in house. We were the biggest IBM mainframe site in local government in the north east. CICS was in its infancy in this country and I remember at the time that my bosses and IBM made a big fuss about us being first. It seemed quite ordinary then but, looking back, we were using mainframe computers as they had never been used before in local government.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back