Aire at Bai de Somme (security) (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
its been a long while since Ive used an aire, there have allways been horror stories some of which are true, I see there is a report for the Aire at Bai de Somme on Jims map, we were going to stop on there on a Sauturday night in Midd Auguest but now Im having second thoughts? anybody been there latley ? whats it like now

Anybody recomend a site near the motorway from Calis to Abbiville that takes late arrivalles?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Seb

The Aire at Bai de Somme is not an Official Aire de Service for camping cars, it is in reality a motorway service station. I would personally avoid these places like the plague, they are not safe in my opinion. As you are arriving on a Saturday night in August, when most of France will be on holiday, you may find that the official aires such as those at Le Touquet will be full to bursting. You might like to consider Cite Europe where there is an area set aside for camping car parking. Another option that we have used on several occasions, without any problems, is to overnight on the car park at the Auchan Hypermarket at Boulogne St Martin. The site is patrolled by the local police throughout the night, you can do a bit of shopping and fill up with fuel in the morning and then be on your way.
Have a good trip and keep safe:thumb:
Brian

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi are you refering to the aire at the services on the toll road I have used that several times and nearly allways parked in front of the shop there are allways police visiting the services so I dont understand the problem, unless you park around the back near the ponds and again I have stopped there when there was a few camper vans about and again no problem plus you can get free electric if you are lucky. Anywhere can be dangerous if no one around park on the front hope you enjoy your holiday
yours Brian and Marion :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

The report of a break in was from one of our members, I would avoid any aire on or close to an Autoroute ..
The only one I know on that route and would recommend is the aire at Le Touquet, GPS: 50.5260 1.5994, €6 , 16a ehu but it's slightly off your route.. Very safe and has plenty of space..

www.RVFulltiming.co.uk - Aires and Sites suitable for RVs. - Google Maps

Link Removed

hth

Jim

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look on CC Infos website. In addition to Auchan at St Martin Boulogne, there are aires at Le Crotoy (2), Etaples and Longfosse. All are within 'striking distance' of the A-route.

Philip

>>CC Infos<<

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

If the Aire at Le Touquet is the one near the Equestrian centre then I don't think there are any electric points any more other than one on a reasonably new Borne, which costs either 1 or 2 euros per hour I think.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi, Jim

If the Aire at Le Touquet is the one near the Equestrian centre then I don't think there are any electric points any more other than one on a reasonably new Borne, which costs either 1 or 2 euros per hour I think.

Hi

Yes, that's the one, I was there last September and the EHU were working but I know they are switched off over winter .. .. has it changed since then ?

There was also a new parking ticket machine that accepted credit/debit cards

Jim

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

Perhaps they upgraded it, as we were there earlier than you last year can't quiet remember the actual date but I'm pretty sure it was very early in the year and they had closed the old toilets under the old grand stand, and dug up most of the electric points and had installed a new borne just about where you are parked in your photo.

I assumed that as they had removed most of the electric points or disconnected them they were going to remove them, but if they were there in Sept then they must have just been refurbishing them sorry for the miss information,

Braunston

Hi

Yes, that's the one, I was there last September and the EHU were working but I know they are switched off over winter .. .. has it changed since then ?

Jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi, Jim

Perhaps they upgraded it, as we were there earlier than you last year can't quiet remember the actual date but I'm pretty sure it was very early in the year and they had closed the old toilets under the old grand stand, and dug up most of the electric points and had installed a new borne just about where you are parked in your photo.

I assumed that as they had removed most of the electric points or disconnected them they were going to remove them, but if they were there in Sept then they must have just been refurbishing them sorry for the miss information,

Braunston

Hi

The old toilets were closed when we were there and the new bourne was in operation as was the new toll machine, some of the EHU were 'dead' but many were in use so there may be an ongoing program of upgrading and or dis continuing the old ehu points.. ?

No matter, even with no ehu it is a great aire, as I'm sure many will agree, more like a camp site .. You could get 'free' water at the back of the grandstand when we were there .. rather than pay at the bourne :winky:

As an aside, the aire by the airport is now closed ..

the one at the marina was open but packed out, not my kind of aire as it is all tarmac.

safe travels

Jim

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
thanks for all replys will diegest more tommow, long hours at work today...

Rodley

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Lot et Garonne, France
Funster No
Hi are you refering to the aire at the services on the toll road I have used that several times and nearly allways parked in front of the shop there are allways police visiting the services so I dont understand the problem, unless you park around the back near the ponds and again I have stopped there when there was a few camper vans about and again no problem plus you can get free electric if you are lucky. Anywhere can be dangerous if no one around park on the front hope you enjoy your holiday

We live in SW France and have often slept over at this Aire (on our way to or from the UK) around the back on the motorhome/caravan areas. We never have seen or experienced any problems. If you have a dog, this gives you lots of space to run your dog and see various birds that frequent the water (ponds).
It has no service points but does give you a quiet night's sleep.
However, I haven't been there in mid-August and can't say if it less secure at that time of year.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi again the free electric is at the service point which is free as well I think, on your right as you enter facing the shop

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Overnighting

Hi Seb,

we live about 20 mins from Boulogne and there are other places to stay around here.

Stella-Plage on the coast between Le Touquet and Berck - plenty of space on a specially designated area of hardstanding for motorhomes, no borne or any facilities but a nice quiet spot to spend the night and free! Just go down to the sea and follow the road (one way) around past the seafront/car parking area and as you come back around almost 360deg MH parking on the right, you'll see the little post with the MH picture on it. Couple of bar/restaurants there, can recommend La Capitanerie on opposite side of square from mh parking.

Embry - A village situated some 10 miles (16 km) east of Montreuil-sur-Mer at the D149 and D108 crossroads.
This is a new aire which looks great on the village website with borne, grassed area, picnic tables and loo, think it might have been 3euros a night. We've just swapped laptops so when I find the details of the site on the old one I'll post it on here for you, and I'll try and get up there and check it out over the weekend.

Have a good trip, Sue.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

Jim
Hi Jim I have been three times this year March/April/May and the electric has always been switched off!!!!!!!!!......Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim I have been three times this year March/April/May and the electric has always been switched off!!!!!!!!!......Mel

maybe it's off for ever .. :Sad: or only on June through to Sep ? .. I've no other info.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cayeaux-sur-mer

This is a nice little Aire not far from Abbeville..on the coast just beyond St Valery sur Somme on the rue de Fairherbe just off the D3 (onto the rue de Carnot) then onto rue de Fairherbe there is always plenty of room in fact it is always empty even at peak times it is just above Cayeaux-sur-mer, go onto Michelin maps and magnify as it is a minor road, also all around is very beautiful...it has Bourne a euro relaye..it is 5 euros a night and water is a 3 euro relay token, the office shuts at 6.00pm but you just drive on the Aire and pay in the morning, there is a campsite just across the road, you can use your ACSI if you want the extras....you can also get internet from the office at 2 euros for 1 hour..(Le Hourdel is just after Saint Valery but just before the aire it is a peak of a few houses a Lighthouse and a restaurant some boats, you can park up for the day if you are early as it takes about 8 to 10 motorhomes and some extras round the back but fill up with water before you go)
Just come back had two nights on our way home from the south of France…..you could also get RVs in the road is wide at the point of entry and the opening has been made bigger this year, the area is Quite with sand dunes all around, the site is about the size of a football pitch,plenty of cycling around that area,
St Valery-sur-Somme is a pretty little town....
Have a nice holiday from me...stay safe and enjoy life from
Mel a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
But I must say the electric points have been upgraded since last year all around the site and also I think the sun must shine on you Jim because last year each time we visited all electric was switched off!!! or is it just my luck?

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I must agree with Koffee we live near Hesdin just a little lower down from koffee about 50km and I THINK the sites around the us and the north, also Normandy, and south and north of Brittany are FAR FAR better than the south of France (we have just come back from the south of France, we have better sites....but we do not heat the HEAT if that is what you are after, packed like saardines sat close together looking for shade ......urg!
mel

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
The report of a break in was from one of our members

On the basis of one "reported" break-in, every street and every van park and every car-park in the world would have to be classified as unsafe. Is there anything else about the aire that contributes to the "unsafe" warning?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back