Storing Crockery for travelling (1 Viewer)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Any tips for the best way to store crockery, saucepans, glasses, etc. safely and securely for travelling. We have plenty of cupboard space but no racks or holders fitted, have lined all the cupboards with anti slip matting and am looking for storage suggestions and ideas, many thanks (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Firstly, none of our crockery/glassware is either pottery or glass, first tip. Two reasons, in transit it all rattles and is very annoying, secondly, it could break. We have melomine crockery, and the glass substitute, the name of which is escaping me for the time being.
In our crockery cupboard there were several racks fitted, which are ideal for holding these items, I have no idea if they are standard, but they are very handy. I'll have to take a photo when I am next at the van.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We use nothing but proper cups and plates.
We use nothing but real glasses....both wine and beer.
We use nothing to protect them while driving and havent broken anything to date.....even in the caravan.

If you can drive properly theres no reason why anything should get broken.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Any tips for the best way to store crockery, saucepans, glasses, etc. safely and securely for travelling. We have plenty of cupboard space but no racks or holders fitted, have lined all the cupboards with anti slip matting and am looking for storage suggestions and ideas, many thanks (y)
Hi
We use a plastic storage box ( the ones sold everywhere, with a lid) All plates and glasses fit neatly and the box itself slides into the cupboard. It was worth getting one that fitted exactly and we now have them in every cupboard with things like the TV remote etc.
Works really well for us.
LC

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If anything's likely to rattle or shift about in the lockers I use bubblewrap and/or those air-filled pouches

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Bubble wrap here to, prefer crockery for tea and coffee to melamine . If left with a void to fill squash up a new toilet roll to stop movement.

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I made criss-cross cardboard dividers and covered them in the soft grip-mat that comes on a roll. Each glass and mug has its own place and doesn't rattle. :)

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Just a bit of kitchen roll between plates/bowls. Spare tea towels to wedge things that rattle. We use proper plates and glasses and also use some plastic boxes to store things.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We use these soft sticky mats between our crockery - works a treat
image.jpg

We also lined the base of all our cabinets and drawers with a plastic liner off EBay

image.jpg

We keep our glasses in a cut down bottle box - stops them from banging together

Hope this helps

Regards
Robert

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I have Corelle plates/bowls etc. glass glasses & Bone china mugs.
The Corelle is all separated by its own bit of 'grip mat', glasses have 'grip mat' round them & sit inside each mug (we follow the French way of thinking and use small tumbler type glasses rather than tall stemmed wine glasses) & 'grip mat' round the mugs. All is then wedged into the cupboard, nothing rattles, nor gets broken!
You can put the wire racks into the cupboards for storing but it creates a lot of wasted space!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have stacking mugs (see left of picture) - old 1970s one with plastic outer and removable Pyrex inner glass so they double up as glasses, they also stack and are very tough, we put some 'netting' rings on them to stop the glass bits clinking. We also put a 'net curtain' bar across (see lower photo) to keep contents in the cupboard and stop anything falling out when we open the door.

upload_2015-11-20_9-47-27.jpeg

upload_2015-11-20_9-49-4.jpeg

We use melamine plates & bowls (not the cheap plastic ones) which are placed in a storage rack similar to the below and we use either paper plates to jam them in securely or if we've used them an oven glove or something similar. The flat metal ones are good for giving extra 'shelves' for other bits too if you don't want to actually put any extra fixed shelves in, there are various types - the corner one below or rectangular ones - so you ushould be able to get something that will fit nicely in your cupboards. On these types of racks you can easily attach some elastic at the back and put a hook on the other end then pull it over stuff and hook it on the bars at the front to keep things clamped tightly in place.

Broken Link Removed

22499_1

We use a tea/coffee/sugar set that sits on its own shelf so doesnt' take up any precious storage space and is readily to hand - despite the buts not being secured (just some anti-slip mat on the shelf) they have never ever tried to make a bid for freedom!

upload_2015-11-20_9-42-53.jpeg

The dish drainer is hung on the back of the wardrobe door out of the way along with a wire rack which is ideal for small bottles which you do NOT want to fall over such as soy sauce (not visible in photo).

upload_2015-11-20_9-46-6.jpeg

In the garage we used a car boot tidy to put small items in, and also had an inner out of an old suitcase attached to the door itself for other lighter items which needed to be accessible, also cargo nets with hooks on are good to keep bulky contents secure.
upload_2015-11-20_10-3-13.jpeg

upload_2015-11-20_10-4-29.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-20_9-35-53.jpeg
    upload_2015-11-20_9-35-53.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 53
  • upload_2015-11-20_9-38-25.jpeg
    upload_2015-11-20_9-38-25.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 48
  • upload_2015-11-20_9-52-8.jpeg
    upload_2015-11-20_9-52-8.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I used to take immense care and everything was well padded, packed and in racks. It tooks ages to get it all back in the cupboard. With the new van- same layout, same cupboard- I didn't bother any more.

We have 6 porcelain mugs, in two of those stacking mug racks, stacked French arcopal plates, dishes and bowls, and glass glasses with a stainless steel tea pot and jug. Touch wood. nothing has broken and only once have we detected noise from that cupboard. That was a high pitched continuous tinkling noise and took us ages to pin down ( we thought it was the engine). It turned out to be 2 stainless steel egg cups vibrating and a tissue between them stopped it forever.

Mind it is all so wedged in that there's not a lot of room for movement.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We only use real crockery and glasses. The plate's/bowls are stacked in an ikea holder with non slip matting between sizes. Glasses in a foam holder and cups and glass bottles (of spirits) in muggis

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Non slip mat on the cupboard base and paper towel between plates bowls etc and then non slip between the piles of plates and bowls, if the mugs and glasses don't touch they can't rattle.

Finally drive carefully.

The one time I let Jen tow the caravan she went very carefully over the speed bump out of the storage, front wheels over, back wheels over and then foot down, the poor caravan was about 12 inches off the ground, she made more mess in 100 yards than I have in 30 or 40 thousand miles of towing.

Martin

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Correlle crockery and real glass for me. Just use strips of the non slip mat stuff from the pound shop and layer in between plates etc. glasses are wrapped in the sane stuff - no rattles and secure.

Upvote 1

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We like 'real' crockery. What you may find a good tip is that we use square plates and bowls - very modern and easy to get hold of and they fit really well in cupboards as opposed to a round plate.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We have large drawers under the sink .we bought large sizes of form .from dunmils the home furnishings . Cut to fit the drawers. (We we use real pots) trace pots on form. Cut out with electric knife. its working well .and looks smart.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We use plastic stuff, the red range from places like Lakeland can't remember brand name, they are a microwave range and come with extras like racks, vented lids, plates, bowls with handles. Plastic wine glasses same as home. Inside our cupboards we put Ikea drawer dividers.

Edit called .Sistema

:)
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_18166_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We also use proper china and glass. We use square plates (Tesco) because they fit the locker better, just stacked with non slip mat between, no rattles. We did break a wine glass last time away but that was while washing it, not in transit.

Upvote 0

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
There is nothing wrong with melamine we have been using ours for years! And it is lighter , broken glass in a motorhome is not what you want, and they are thin wine glasses in plastic !! If that makes sense! I was given really thin glasses in Germany , I had a heck of a job getting them home unbroken.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just put it all in the cupboards. Don't do anything special with any of it. It doesn't rattle and nothing's broken yet.

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Sorry but I am unable to get on with the plastic. It may be pschycological but my occasional glass of wine or beer never tastes the way it should out of plastic.

As so many have said above a little simple packing - and believe me mine is simple - like many others I use kitchen roll.

The only breakages have been my clumsiness - sometimes as a result of exceeding the recommended dose. It just does not taste right out of plastic. Sorry, now then ....:wine:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Thanks all some great tips, plenty of ideas that I hadn't thought of.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Neither of us will eat or drink from paper or plastic, by choice.

Arcoroc glass plates and bowls transferred from the caravan to our first Moho in 2009 then to this one. They were in my Hymer caravan for 5 or 6 years then transferred to Pete's Avondale for another 2 or 3 before we swapped to a Moho. Mugs never last long anywhere with me! but I'm no more likely to drop one in the van than at home. In actual fact, since our kitchen at home has a quarry tiled floor, actually sometimes in the van they bounce but anyway - last shedloads longer!

Non-slip mats at the bottom of all the cupboards and clean T-towels stored on the top of the plate stack.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Tick VG from me too for Arcoroc/ Arcopal and Spanish equivalents. We've had them for years and never broken one item. Our draining board is right by the van door and several times a plate or dish had slid off , bounced on the van step and crashed onto the gravel outside. I suspect the fact that you see them so often in continental restaurants is not just because they are cheap but also because they're virtually indestructible.

Unlike melamine though you can warm them before eating off them and they don't scratch or stain.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back