Nov 10, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
The answer to this query may be patently obvious, however, here it is:

I have been considering buying and installing a 120 watt panel system (£100ish) onto our van. However, I have been given a fairly new 80 watt panel and I'm unclear as to whether the 'free' panel would be an adequate option. I am aware that I need the specific Schaudt controller etc and therefore, the work and on costs will be the same with both options. What do you think?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to have a 75w Alden solar panel on our previous PVC and now have a 60w flexi-panel ... we haven't had any problems having a lower wattage coming in and never use sites or hook-up so unless you really have a large demand for power the 80w IMV should be fine.

What is your power requirement likely to be and have you also planned on installing a second battery?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The answer to this query may be patently obvious, however, here it is:

I have been considering buying and installing a 120 watt panel system (£100ish) onto our van. However, I have been given a fairly new 80 watt panel and I'm unclear as to whether the 'free' panel would be an adequate option. I am aware that I need the specific Schaudt controller etc and therefore, the work and on costs will be the same with both options. What do you think?
Not if you use a stand alone controller and connect directly to your battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Nov 10, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for your comments.
Not sure how I would determine my power requirements; the van is a Hymer A class, in the UK mostly on EHU however, when abroad mainly Aires etc. Lights in the van now LED. TV used a small amount the rest would be the normal workings of the van.

The point about wiring a controller directly the battery (I have an 'ordinary' MPPT controller and I was considering this option) however, advice by the experts on the forum suggests that this could compromise the Elektroblock 101

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The ELB 101 only has a straight through connection to the batteries so it does not need to be a Schudt regulator. I am about to get rid of my LR1218 as once potential reaches 14.2 volts it holds at that voltage it does not reduce to a maintenance charge.
I'm looking at fitting a MPPT regulator together with a solar split charge relay and connect via the ELB so as to maintain starter battery charging.
If you have dual output regulator you can connect it straight to the ELB.

OP
OP
S
Nov 10, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
For me this topic is a bit like batteries the more you ask the more complicated it becomes!
Lenny your knowledge around this is much greater than mine so forgive the naive questioning. Are you saying it is ok to use an universal duel control unit (I have a new PWM Duo-battery charge controller) linked direct to the ELB? How easy will the wiring be and where does the solar split charger relay fit in this arrangement. What you are proposing to do on your van may be beyond my ability/knowledge but I would very much be interested in more detail/links or even photos if that is possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can wire a Duo regulator into connector BL6 on the EBL101, 3 connections, pin 1 Negative, Pin 2 Starter Battery positive, Pin 3 Hab battery Positive . Obviously you will not get any charging info on the control panel without a Schaudt regulator.
The split charge relay is only needed if you are using a single output regulator.

Attached: EBL101C manual & wiring dia.

Attachments

• 911.553 2008_09_30 EBL101C BA_EN.pdf
    610 KB · Views: 44

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back