Tyre loosing pressure puzzle (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One of the tyres on my Seicento looses pressure, about 10psi over the coarse of a few days .. it's on an alloy wheel.

I've had it checked at a tyre fitters and it hasn't got a puncture, no leak at the valve or the rim .. I've also had it in a bath of water and can't detect a leak .. all I can think of is a porous wheel, anyone heard of this and is there a solution ?

tia

Jim

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
If not a conventional puncture or valve issue I'd say it's still most likely the rim even if you can't see it it could be a simple as the weight of the car/deformation of the fitted tyre causes leak and no load etc it 'seals' up????

To prove simplest is flip the tyre off and inspect & clean bead mating area and try again?

Also, if you have the tyre off inspect the bead, once had a tyre place break the bead reinforcing, without realising (aledgidly) and that was interesting, seemed fine then suddenly no presure, pumped up fine but as soon as driven it would go down quickly.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim you are probably thinking right :thumb: It happened on one of my wheels yrs ago :Sad: You can remove the trye and I was told to spray a varnish/lacquer on the inner rim, but I chose the easy option of fitting a tube :thumb::ROFLMAO:. Then again in this day will they fit a tube to a tubeless tyre ?????? It is not as though you are going for a speed record :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so you may find a friendly tyre fitter who will fit one for you :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Jim I just thought of the same solution as Sundowner :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but he beat me to it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Two ways round the porous metal bit..

Both necessitate taking the tyre off ..:cry:

1.. Tape up the wheel rim (edge where tyre fit`s) and degrease the rest and get a aerosol of clear laquer and give a few coats..

2. Fit an inner tube,, probably the easiest solution.. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Woop`s,,, Sorry just seen terry`s post.. :Doh::Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim ,,go to a farm supplier n get some green oko works everytime unless you get a real big hole in your tyre.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I am not sure that fitting a tube into a tubeless is the correct thing to do these days, anyway I would not feel confident with one on a motorhome (I know yours is just for a car) It would be better than nothing on the spare though.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am not sure that fitting a tube into a tubeless is the correct thing to do these days, anyway I would not feel confident with one on a motorhome (I know yours is just for a car) It would be better than nothing on the spare though.

Hi Nigel ,
tend to agree and would otherwise change it to the spare, but it's a skinny space saver metal rim .. will try the lazy option first and squirt some puncture repair goop in ..

Jim

andy rob

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Funster No
I wouldn't spray another thing in the tyre than air, these get you home fix's on a flat tyre, will inflate the tyre ,but they contaiminate the tyre.
take tyre off rim, turn it around (I guess it not a directional), spin the wheel on the tyre balancer & use some sort of abrisive device to 'ruff' up the edge of the bead (wire brush or maybe somtihng a bit more ) & put loads of the white tyre sealler on when they fit the tyre
job done :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it may be get you home but having used it in maroc n got home from there it seems to work. as for damaging the tyre it does make it hard to repair later but if it stays up why repair. you can still fit a tube . tubes can be fitted into tubeless tyres but not advised on very low profile tyres . then its only tyre distributers advice not law.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It does look as though Jim may have to buy a new wheel if he can't make one of these fixes work,:cry::cry: he is pretty sure that the leak is not in the tyre, best of luck Jim.
Nigel

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
go to a tyre depot make sure the cleen the rim well wire brush then they have a black sealing compound they brush on the rim norm works

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim you are probably thinking right :thumb: It happened on one of my wheels yrs ago :Sad: You can remove the trye and I was told to spray a varnish/lacquer on the inner rim, but I chose the easy option of fitting a tube :thumb::ROFLMAO:. Then again in this day will they fit a tube to a tubeless tyre ?????? It is not as though you are going for a speed record :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so you may find a friendly tyre fitter who will fit one for you :thumb:
terry

:whatthe::Eeek: never, ever fit a tube in a tubeless tyre.....

the internal surface structure of the tubeless tyre is completely different to the old tubed tyres and the friction between tyre and tube will eventually cause a sudden blowout:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:whatthe::Eeek: never, ever fit a tube in a tubeless tyre.....

the internal surface structure of the tubeless tyre is completely different to the old tubed tyres and the friction between tyre and tube will eventually cause a sudden blowout:Eeek:
:Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO::thumb: I knew there was a reason in this day and age John :ROFLMAO: just did not know why :ROFLMAO: Me if the glupy stuff did not work I would still stick a tube in and make sure it was on the back :ROFLMAO: especially on a wacky fiat that will only be used around town :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa not all tubeless have the ines on the inside its a matter of look n see. mitchelin have a lovely smooth inside. wonder what brian in wales has to say he runs a tyre shop.you are right some have lines very thick.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
especially on a wacky fiat that will only be used around town :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

heh... :Angry: ... I'll have you know this is a cool mean racing machine .. :Cool:

a highly tuned piece of Italian engineering..... built in Poland :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

anyways.. I bought some Holts goop and put it in today.. I'll report back on the outcome .. thanks for all the suggestions guys.. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
heh... :Angry: ... I'll have you know this is a cool mean racing machine .. :Cool:

a highly tuned piece of Italian engineering..... built in Poland :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

anyways.. I bought some Holts goop and put it in today.. I'll report back on the outcome .. thanks for all the suggestions guys.. :thumb:

:ROFLMAO::thumb:Remember Jim I have a wacky fiat (ford badged )Iveco m/h :thumb::ROFLMAO::winky: Built in god knows where and on my drive in sunny S Yorks
terry

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
A friend of mine had the same problem a couple of years ago, he had a Ford Fusion on alloy wheels, it turned out it was the actual alloy wheel itself.At the time the fault manifested itself the car was only 2 months old ,and only had around 250 miles under it's wheels, so he took it back and told the Ford dealers the problem, asked for a replacement (very loudly I may add) and they did replace it
The dealers did try the old your not driving it right routine this fella is an "IAM" driver has done the Police advanced course like meself so that didn't work with him...Result
Driver..1

Dealers 0
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

So unfortunately Jim you may end up getting a new wheel:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
leak

JIM
I had similar trouble on a alloy rim...took it back to the fitters who could not find a leak but what they did do was release the pressure and break the seal from the rim, they then painted with brush the tyre rim with "Tyre Seal" then re-inflated the tyre ...this is a black liquid that turns into a solid rubber after a few minutes.....with me everything was OK afterwards ...the fitters said it was normal for alloys to leak and also hard to find the leak...
Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back