Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then,
I was rather hoping to travel through France to get to Spain for a couple of weeks and then spend a week in the southern part of France. With what's going on in france at the moment do ya think it's a bad idea, I was thinking of late Dec to Jan. I don't want to put my other half in danger but then again I will not let THEM dictate to me what I can or can't do.....what are your thoughts on this one.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There will be tens of thousands of motorhomes heading south at this time of year. You will be perfectly safe. I have put some links in the resources section on toll and non toll routes fro France and Spain, you may find useful.
Safe Travels

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As soon as you arrive in France wind up all your windows, lock all your doors, get your foot down and head south down the Autoroute at 80mph until you reach the Spanish border. Weave through the hordes of migrants heading the other way, thumb your nose at all the terrorists lurking on every autoroute bridge and confound all the mad gassers by not stopping in any aires.

You'll be fine :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Village life in France, a stranger sticks out like a sore thumb. Boring old me moved into a house on edge of a village and before I'd unpacked the first box it seemed everyone knew who I was, where I'd come from.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Our eldest daughter and her boyfriend bought euro tickets for Saturday 21st weeks ago. She thinks they should still go to Paris so the terrorist s don't win.we as parents think they should stay home as tourists will add more worries to the already tense and tragic situation. Who is right?

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Our eldest daughter and her boyfriend bought euro tickets for Saturday 21st weeks ago. She thinks they should still go to Paris so the terrorist s don't win.we as parents think they should stay home as tourists will add more worries to the already tense and tragic situation. Who is right?

I think as parents we worry more for our kids than for ourselves.
Events this morning in Paris show the intelligence gathering has been stepped up. France doesn't stint on police and army presence, and they're all armed.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you we do worry but as she already lives in London we worry anyway! They are right of course and should go but it will be very different from their last trip.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When the London bombers hit, I was working regularly down there and one of my frequent trips was to an office right next to where the bus was blown up. I wasn't there at the time, but my mum and dad (late 80s but it just shows parents always think of us as kids) said I shouldn't go there. Fact is, once you are on the streets or in the tube, you forget and get on with life.
This last September we went to France in our motorhome and as usual had a great time. Last week my mum rang up and said "when are you going back to France? You shouldn't be going,"
Well we are, and next June was the answer, but she still worries.
Last night I spoke to my 35 year old daughter. She has just booked
a week at the Paris Disneyworld next May with husband and two kids. Can anybody guess what I said to her? Guilty as charged!
Leave the worrying to those at home, they will worry anyway, and get on with your life.

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We were in Calais on Tuesday having spent a few days in Brugges. All was normal on the roads.
We even went to the waterfront to have some wonderful frites before catching the train back home. There were only two French motorhomes on the aire and one Brit stopped to empty their waste tank while we were there.
There was a large police presence at the terminal but the British passport control did no checks except to look at our passports.
Just go!

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are booked to go to France just after Xmas, but as we've told family we won't be 'clubbing' or visiting shows or cities so we will be safe, theoretically!
No country is 100% safe! Don't get up in the morning-you might fall down the stairs!

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I was working at Bishopsgate London when the IRA blew up a truck full of explosives ,the building I was in had minor damage ,I went to work on the Monday and the damage to other buildings was extensive especially 99 Bishopsgate ,anyhow we had all the bomb scares , etc ,saw the bomb disposal guys out checking stuff on a regular basis ,it did not stop tens of thousands of people going about their daily jobs ,sure people were concerned but we just kept going ,when it came to rebuilding 99 Bishopsgate ,I made enough money from that job to clear the mortgage arrears ( remember the 90,s depression) and buy our first caravan
Yes I worry about my son living in London and my daughters when they go to visit ,but if you allow terrorists to terrorize you then they have won ,it your call buddy

Upvote 0

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
We live in southern brittany,no problem, travel, normal common sense rules apply !as it does wherever you stop, if it feels "not right" we move on .
Pick your date if you are using the ferries as lot of cancellations today due wind , but looking better later in week, no real advance booking ,plenty of room this time of year.

We are not back on road until end of feb, as waiting for new van. Enjoy

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Well, that's sorted that one out then, thanks for the positives will definitely be traveling
Good for you, and France is lucky to have the most effective counter terror forces in Europe. Wonderful country, we visit roughly three times a year and that is just not enough for us, but come 2017 when we retire....whahay.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back