Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hello all,

Could you point me to the most helpful thread on here to find a new camera. I am a complete novice. I have A Panasonic Lumix but have no real idea of what it does. A hopeless case I know. Do I stick with the Lumix and find out how to use it? (This could possibly be by virtual lessons on here.....), or go for something else.

I'm asking because we are off to Rajasthan in January (whoopee!) and I don't think the Lumix will do the photos justice (that could also read I don't think I could do the photos justice.....)!

I would like something that gives me a wide lens with the ability of getting closer than 100 yds away to get it all in and getting a rubbish picture in the process.

If there are beginners lessons on this thread, please point me in that direction and if there aren't - shouldn't there be? ;)

Thanks in anticipation,

Geraldine :)

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Hi Geraldine,
There is a photography thread on the main page.
As for cameras you want small and simple, most cameras over say £80 will give good results but expect to pay around £400 for a quality point and shoot camera, what you need to look at is the processor, there are two basic types; CMOS and the CCD sensor, CMOS is what is used on the quality cameras so this is what you are looking for, don't go for the largest number of pixels, you only need about 10MP. Next is do you want video, this uses large amounts storage and battery power, also regarding batteries consider if it has a rechargeable cell or uses standard batteries.
To summarise - I would be looking to pay between £300-400; a Nikon or Canon; with a CMOS sensor; at least 10 megapixels; with a rechargeable battery plus 2 spare batteries; with a good power zoom lens; and a 64GB memory card.
Hope this helps.
Graham.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Stick with the Lumix - it's a great camera of those of us who just dabble.
I've had one for a couple of years and only really use a fraction of the features but it's easy to use and produces great pics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Depends what model Lumix you have but they are generally very good cameras.
If you fancy a change, have a look at the link below, its a round up of 10 of the best advanced zoom compact cameras from DPReview.com. I have the X30 and love it, I bought it from the Fuji refurbished shop, much cheaper than anywhere else.
Linky HERE

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Agree with GW.

Stick with the Lumix and learn how to use it properly. When you feel you've outgrown it then look at upgrading it.

Which model Lumix is it? Some of them are pretty full featured and make perfectly decent starter cameras.

There's absolutely no point in spending hundreds of pounds on an all singing all dancing camera you also won't know how to use properly. If you get one and have to keep it in Auto mode because you don't know how to use is you won't get any benefit from it at all.

I see people fairly regularly with amazing full frame cameras and a couple of grands worth of lens stuck taking snapshots in Auto or one of the semi auto modes because they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having dabbled at both ends of the spectrum I am now very happy with a
" Bridge Camera" For the novice thats a halfway house between a point and shoot and a fully blown Digital SLR
all the tools and lenses you will ever need built in, they generaly look like this
Purfick for MoHo use and no bags of bits to lumber about
if its this one stick with it it exactly what im on about
G

Attachments

• l_21660641.jpg
    l_21660641.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 37

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I do also agree with GW the Lumix is a good camera with an excellent quality lens, the biggest problem with Panasonic and Olympus cameras is reliability but when they are working they are amongst the best, Canon and Nikon are very reliable and stronger in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I do also agree with GW the Lumix is a good camera with an excellent quality lens, the biggest problem with Panasonic and Olympus cameras is reliability but when they are working they are amongst the best, Canon and Nikon are very reliable and stronger in my opinion.

While my natural inclination is to agree with you it's really just brand snobbery (I'm a Canon man so naturally everything else, especially Nikon, is Mickey Mouse crap :D)

For a novice it really makes no difference.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have bought an Olympus OMD EM10 http://www.trustedreviews.com/olympus-om-d-e-m10-review this year, also a couple of lenses (a fish eye and a zoom). Wanted a camera that was adaptable (change lenses), easy to use (AUTO), light to carry not an SLR. We had a compact Sony Cyber-Shot HX60 for many years, which is great but has limitations. And mainly after going round top of Scotland and for the second year wishing we had a camera with a bigger zoom or a wider angle lens, we bit the bullet.

The Olympus was a bit pricey (especially the zoom lens) as we are not keen photographers, just wanted to have the ability to better capture some of the vistas and sights. The Olympus has been a great buy, some of the features we rarely/never use but we are confident that there is nothing we cannot capture if we want to, surprisingly it is easy to use although practice and youtube and a camera shop do help so night sky photos and close ups are now much better.

I would recommend going to a local (independent) camera shop and asking for help, having a play with the various makes and types, then going away and doing some price research. We did speak to a friend (keen photographer) beforehand so had an idea of his costs (frightening) and after a bit of online research thought we knew what would be good and the makes we liked (Canon or Panasonic) but when we tried them and actually held the cameras changed our minds went for an option that is so far working out really well. Bit like buying a van really.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
To some extent you may be right Nick, my big camera is a Canon EOS but I also have an Olympus CSC camera (Compact System Camera), This has a 40-150mm and a 17mm pancake lens with a detachable flash, only 3 years old and costing around £1500 I wanted to sell it recently and was prepared to accept £250, I went to a big Sussex camera shop and they were not interested because it was not a Canon or a Nikon. Last Christmas we went to Venice so I took the Olympus and it gave me a few problems, I think is was the cold weather, it works fine now but I would not trust it. This year we are off to the arctic and I am sure my Canon will do me proud.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Some people manage to take brilliant photos on their phones, others take rubbish ones even with the best equipment.

So concentrate on learning about composition - I would actually argue to keep it on auto mode for most shots, let the electronics take care of the fiddly bits. Any 'clever arty' bits can usually be added post processing if you want. If the Lumix has decent resolution then far away shots can be cropped which can be better than some digital zooming lenses.

Much better to get the shot, rather than miss the moment because you're still fiddling with the settings.

First piece of advice is don't forget to look & take in what you've gone to see. Absorb the sights as your eyes see them, the sounds, the smells <!>. Better than the best camera. Your memories should be of what you've actually experienced, not the pictures.
Your 'snaps' are but momentos.

Secondly keep the camera steady, prop it up, rest against something -don't jab the shutter release button. A lot of photos aren't sharp, not because of the equipment but because the camera has moved at the moment of exposure.

I use the tiny "Tiltpod" for my pocket Lumix FT25 camera
Amazon product ASIN B004NMNHVKOf course that won't work if you have a larger Lumix Bridge or DSLR camera - I also have a Lumix FZ150 - but it's the small camera & the phone which takes most pictures because they are the ones I have with me the most.
"The best camera is the one you have with you"

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To some extent you may be right Nick, my big camera is a Canon EOS but I also have an Olympus CSC camera (Compact System Camera), This has a 40-150mm and a 17mm pancake lens with a detachable flash, only 3 years old and costing around £1500 I wanted to sell it recently and was prepared to accept £250, I went to a big Sussex camera shop and they were not interested because it was not a Canon or a Nikon. Last Christmas we went to Venice so I took the Olympus and it gave me a few problems, I think is was the cold weather, it works fine now but I would not trust it. This year we are off to the arctic and I am sure my Canon will do me proud.

Which EOS body do you use?

The CSC is their four thirds range isn't it? Not used any 4/3 kit so don't know anything about it. I believe @Jim swears by it though. Not sure whether there's much of a second hand market yet which may explain why they didn't want it.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Nick, I have an EOS 50D and an EF 100-400 USM lens, very heavy but great results. The CSC kit is as you said, the camera (Olympus MP-3) has plenty of gimmicks and the lenses are great quality. The thing about the CSC cameras being the equivalent 35mm value of the lens, so the 40-150mm lens is actually 80-300mm in 35mm format and with stunning quality yet with the advantage of being half the weight of a 35mm format camera with equal quality results.
Regarding your comment "expensive kit does not guarantee good pictures", true but if someone else takes exactly the same shot as you yet their picture has better colours or a sharper image you feel like your camera is not as good, the answer is to be the one with the better camera.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nick, I have an EOS 50D and an EF 100-400 USM lens, very heavy but great results. The CSC kit is as you said, the camera (Olympus MP-3) has plenty of gimmicks and the lenses are great quality. The thing about the CSC cameras being the equivalent 35mm value of the lens, so the 40-150mm lens is actually 80-300mm in 35mm format and with stunning quality yet with the advantage of being half the weight of a 35mm format camera with equal quality results.
Regarding your comment "expensive kit does not guarantee good pictures", true but if someone else takes exactly the same shot as you yet their picture has better colours or a sharper image you feel like your camera is not as good, the answer is to be the one with the better camera.

I've got the EF100-400 too (y) Awesome lens isn't it?

If you have two people taking the same shot at the same time the person who gets the best result is likely to be the one who has their camera set up better. I use EOS 5D Mk iii bodies, usually 2 of them unless it's a studio shoot, and I don't think I would always necessarily get better shots than someone using a camera from lower down the range just because my camera is "better." Apart from full frame vs APS-C which doesn't make any difference to image quality the only real difference between my camera and yours is the sensor resolution and you shouldn't see any noticeable difference if we're shooting in decent light and the image is printed at a sensible size. If you wanted huge enlargements it might be different but not other than that.
The choice of lens is more important, in fact if we took the same shot where you had a really good L series lens fitted and I had a cheaper consumer equivalent I think you would probably get the better results.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Geraldine

I have a Canon EOS 550D for sale complete with Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 75-300mm lens, 4GB memory card, two batteries plus charger and comes complete with instructions. Both lenses have UV filters for protection. Everything is in excellent condition and is only for sale as Ive upgraded to a Canon EOS 6D.

New in March 2010 it cost £748 without the 75-300mm lens and spare battery. Looking for £200.

Regards Lynda

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have a Lumix DMC FX-150 compact which I picked up for a tenner at auction, and I use it as a spare if my DSLR isn't handy.

It is a good camera with a well-made quality lens, and it will take quite high resolution images (14 Mpixels) , but my main objection is I can't abide using rear-mounted LCD screens to compose my shots, especially on sunny days when you can't see what's on the bloody things. I could never use it as my main camera.

Also, my Lumix camera and a similar model owned by somebody I know appear to have small specks of something or other loose between the lens elements, which makes me wonder if there's a possible design defect.

Personally I'd opt for a camera with a proper viewfinder rather than a rear LCD screen, but as this is a camera thread you will get different advice from everyone who posts to it, as it's a highly partisan subject.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the compact Lumix, which I can't find..... and I also have the Lumix DMC-FZ5 as well - acquired second hand which needs a new battery. On the basis that I've now lost my compact one (until it turns up anyway!) would you say the DMC-FZ5 is worth sticking with? If I thought it was I would replace the battery, but I really need instructions on how to use it. I have all the books but it's like reading a foreign language - my method of learning is definitely to be taught and not to read!

It has a lens hood - when would I use that?
It has a view finder, which I think is good?
Do I leave it on auto, or do I use it on manual, in which case what exposure/aperture etc etc do I use?

Is there any particular you tube tutorial that's good?

If you think it's worth going with I will invest in a new battery!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Geraldine

I have a Canon EOS 550D for sale complete with Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 75-300mm lens, 4GB memory card, two batteries plus charger and comes complete with instructions. Both lenses have UV filters for protection. Everything is in excellent condition and is only for sale as Ive upgraded to a Canon EOS 6D.

New in March 2010 it cost £748 without the 75-300mm lens and spare battery. Looking for £200.

Regards Lynda
Hi Lynda,

Thanks so much for the offer and it sounds a brilliant buy, but I don't think I would ever use it to its full potential! I hope you can sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I could!

Hope you and Ken are both well! :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
would you say the DMC-FZ5 is worth sticking with?

The camera will produce astounding photographs with a little help from you.

In fact cameras are now getting very very silly with all manner of features that would overwhelm anyone.

Get the battery and get experimenting. You can even plug it into a TV to view on a big screen.

Probably your ( and many other folks ) big problem is what to do after taking that masterpiece, in other words transferring to a computer or printing them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have the compact Lumix, which I can't find..... and I also have the Lumix DMC-FZ5 as well - acquired second hand which needs a new battery. On the basis that I've now lost my compact one (until it turns up anyway!) would you say the DMC-FZ5 is worth sticking with? If I thought it was I would replace the battery, but I really need instructions on how to use it. I have all the books but it's like reading a foreign language - my method of learning is definitely to be taught and not to read!

It has a lens hood - when would I use that?
It has a view finder, which I think is good?
Do I leave it on auto, or do I use it on manual, in which case what exposure/aperture etc etc do I use?

Is there any particular you tube tutorial that's good?

If you think it's worth going with I will invest in a new battery!

The FZ5 is ideal. As Brian says you should be able to get some great results with it.

Use the lens hood all the time. You won't always need it but it's good practice to always use it, one thing less to think about.

Always always use it on manual. Forget it even has an auto function. You only have four things to think about: aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance. It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. I'll dig out a decent basic tutorial for you when I get home

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Hello all,

I'm asking because we are off to Rajasthan in January (whoopee!) and I don't think the Lumix will do the photos justice (that could also read I don't think I could do the photos justice.....)!
If there are beginners lessons on this aren't - shouldn't there be? ;)

Thanks in anticipation,

:D Soooooooooooo pleased you booked it (y) I did all my photography in India with a Panasonic Lumix FZ5 And most of it on auto. It's brilliant for compensating with the different light over there........by all means experiment with aperture/shutter priority, but if this is not your scene, bung it on simple mode you will be impressed with the results.;)
I got lots of help from Panasonic website.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@cliffandger

Have a look at these:

The first one is about White Balance. Once you've set this for a situation it doesn't usually change so nice and simple.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...ts-the-colour-of-different-kinds-of-lighting/

A couple about the other three settings. There are loads on Youtube so just keep looking until you find one you get on with. Also keep practicing. Take loads and loads of shots of anything you like. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The FZ5 is ideal. As Brian says you should be able to get some great results with it.

Use the lens hood all the time. You won't always need it but it's good practice to always use it, one thing less to think about.

Always always use it on manual. Forget it even has an auto function. You only have four things to think about: aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance. It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. I'll dig out a decent basic tutorial for you when I get home
Good advice,
Get it off auto mode and learn The basics.
One of the most important camera features is the couple of feet behind it !

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you all for your help and advice and @NickNic thanks for the tutorials. I will order a couple of new batteries tomorrow and start using it.

@Wildge - yes, we booked a bespoke tour with Trailfinders. We have a car and driver, and will be at the Taj Mahal at sunrise on our 40th anniversary! I have read in the itinerary that we will be in Jaipur the following day - which is famous for its spectacular jewellery - now isn't the 40th anniversary a ruby one......;)

I will post photos on the forum for comments, which will be welcome, and hopefully I will improve on the one below - which at least gave a few Funsters a laugh at my expense!

image.jpeg

I need all the help I can get!!! :rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stick with the Lumix - it's a great camera of those of us who just dabble.
I've had one for a couple of years and only really use a fraction of the features but it's easy to use and produces great pics.
Agree we have 2 Lumix cameras, find them excellent value price/quality, our bridge one is a few years old, but still very good, earlier this year bought a TZ60, one of the few compact cameras with a viewfinder. Decided we prefer a bridge camera to a compact so now looking at getting a new Lumix bridge.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I need all the help I can get!!! :rofl:

Don't be daft, you've taken a picture, you've got it out of the camera and on to this forum, you are 95% there.

The thing is, with digital you just keep snapping, they cost nothing and some will be great. This is just what the pros do in the studio.

And stick to AUTO, works a treat. The only time I do it manually is for a very long exposure to get burred running water.

You've got the right idea in that photo, two seats, a glass of wine and a view. Now if that wall was not ruining it, say a table instead of the wall it could have been a good 'un.

One thing you need to learn is Rule of Thirds. The ancient artists found this. But a noughts & crosses board in your viewfinder ( many cameras will actually do this on screen ) the you position the important parts on one of the crosses, on one of the thirds. Mostly the composition will look "right". That wine glass if it were on the lower left crossing and you went in closer to make it a bit bigger and it would be much more pleasing.

Slight improvement, I've got two features close to the thirds.......

WALL2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back