Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Booked the shuttle for May next year and really need advice about where to stay. We went this year, but felt the campsites, although nice are too big and too commercial.
Can anyone recommend sites that are small, pretty and not near a main road...anywhere in the dordogne...but we do want to walk and cycle so near good open country would be best....p.s we stayed at quite a few aires...but hope to,stay on one place for longer this year.
Thanks in advance!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The main problem with cycling in the Dordogne is if it's not a busy main road winding down a river gorge then it's going to be steep narrow lanes, as we found out when our SatNav took us down a fair few in August! I hope you're feeling energetic. Don't know any sites that match your description as we've only used aires.

Reactions: Sue

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I reckon your solution is to browse the Municipals. Rarely huge sites and frequently tucked away in quiet spots.
This one was OK when I last visited a couple of years ago:

ST JULIEN DE LAMPON - Camping Municipal Bourniou
44.86412, 1.35981

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
As GW says, the municipal sites are good. I have been using them for the last several years (when tugging (I know)). There is a useful website just type in camping municipal org and you can use the map. The time of year you indicate is the low season and I am confident you will not be disappointed.

Clive

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Early last May we stayed at a campsite near Domme, Beau Rivage, you'll find it in the ACSI book. We didn't book, loads of space so no need. Sarlat is only 10 or 15 minutes away (terrible parking in Sarlat on market day). No public transport, Domme is possible as a long walk, there is an aires where you could park at the bottom of the hill. The hill is VERY steep. The nice English site rep gave us a lift into Domme, so we only had to back walk down the hill. It's well worth a visit. A nice walk over a hilly but beautiful vista to La Roque Gageac, a tourist area. (There's a good aires there, with public toilets, but it's 10 or 12 euros, might as will spend a few more for an ACSI site.) Don't try the walk in the heat of the day. Also a pleasant walk to Cenac, with a supermarket etc, there's direct access onto a lovely quiet country lane which is the bulk of the walk. We really enjoyed our stay there. And no Dordogne bities that time of year. We were bite free.

But there are loads of campsites nearby, and you won't need to book. Just turn up and choose. Also endorse the municiples idea, almost always good enough, though never tried it in that area.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Touring France by caravan in 1999 we found a small site by the river.. we planed on a couple of nights, but ended up staying nearly two weeks..

It is a lovely quiet and very peaceful place.. right on the river bank..

We became friendly with the site manager and his partner, Dutchman called Bert, a lovely more laid back guy as you could ever wish to meet.. .. It is also a hire canoe station, and we helped with the canoes, in return we got free use of them..

we always referred to it as 'Bert's site' Google Map

I just noticed it now has a web site and new owners.. Camping la Champagne Broken Link Removed

It is truly a gem of a site.. keep it under your hat ..

a few photos ..

B0003745.jpgB0003746(1).jpg B0003751.jpg B0003756.jpg B0003757.jpg B0003758.jpg B0003759.jpg B0003760.jpg B0003762.jpg

Attachments

• B0003745.jpg
    B0003745.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Deleted User
If you want rural I can really recommend a site called "wanken tanken" it is in the acsi book and is about 25km north of Perigoux. Dutch run and very friendly communial meal in the evening if you want, a very good way to meet other campers of all nationalities. I think it was 12 euros p.n.

Spongy

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you promise not to tell too many people and ensure that there is always a pitch for us, we will share our fave French campsite. It is a little run down and we don't claim that the facilities are the best but it is good enough for us. The views are great, 15 min walk to shops and the tariffs fair. It is right next to the river and a footpath / cycle path to the neighbouring villages and has a mix of shady and open pitches.. The owner is laid back but very nice - don't get stressed if he doesn't respond to your emails - he doesn't seem to get anxious about reservations although will reserve pitches with electricity if you really need it.

There are posh campsites either side of this site but we are happy here http://perigordcamping.com but please don't tell too many people.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Another site we stayed at a couple of time near Domme was the one directly below the hill, can't think of the name for the mo. The most notable thing was we were there in September-ish, parked under walnut trees. Being a PVC, throughout the night was a loud "ke-dong" as the walnuts dropped. We got used to it, and came home with a beautiful crop of walnuts. As did everyone else on the site. Some people got up extra early to get the best choice. Not me!

Anyone who makes a comment about nuts dropping - that was a long time ago!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If you promise not to tell too many people and ensure that there is always a pitch for us, we will share our fave French campsite. It is a little run down and we don't claim that the facilities are the best but it is good enough for us. The views are great, 15 min walk to shops and the tariffs fair. It is right next to the river and a footpath / cycle path to the neighbouring villages and has a mix of shady and open pitches.. The owner is laid back but very nice - don't get stressed if he doesn't respond to your emails - he doesn't seem to get anxious about reservations although will reserve pitches with electricity if you really need it.

There are posh campsites either side of this site but we are happy here http://perigordcamping.com but please don't tell too many people.
(y)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If you don't mind going over the border into Lot we stayed at http://www.domainedebourrat.com/ it is a quiet site in the country with fantistic walks, cycling not so good unless you joint the mad Frenchmen on the roads. It is run by an English couple (friends of ours) we love it there. About 10 miles to Dordogne.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

God! How could you!:)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
God! How could you!:)
We have to slum it sometimes. I won't write anymore about the place as I don't know if peeps could cope with the loos there - they have been rocking for at least 5 years, maybe more and there aren't separate showers for men and women, just cubicles for who ever gets there first. Oh yeah, sometimes the river is a bit too cool to spend the day wallowing in the water and there isn't a swimming pool or bar or entertainment.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Have a look at Camping Le Port de Limeuil.

Small tidy site with all you need for a great holiday in the country, right on the river.

Very friendly staff.

Trevor

www.leportdelimeuil.com/en/
Looks lovely, is it possible to do so e good walks from here...without having to go on those terrible French D roads?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If you don't mind going over the border into Lot we stayed at http://www.domainedebourrat.com/ it is a quiet site in the country with fantistic walks, cycling not so good unless you joint the mad Frenchmen on the roads. It is run by an English couple (friends of ours) we love it there. About 10 miles to Dordogne.
Are you trying to put people off?!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is a very quiet site http://www.perdigat.com
It is a few clicks from Limeuil which is on the Dordogne and a very pretty little town. The campsite is on a farm and there is a path from it to Limeuil along the banks of the Vezere, a tributary of the Dordogne. There is a site at Limeuil of course - see above. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have to slum it sometimes. I won't write anymore about the place as I don't know if peeps could cope with the loos there - they have been rocking for at least 5 years, maybe more and there aren't separate showers for men and women, just cubicles for who ever gets there first. Oh yeah, sometimes the river is a bit too cool to spend the day wallowing in the water and there isn't a swimming pool or bar or entertainment.

Ha ha ha..no I meant about sharing the site..was a joke. We were there one glorious summer, yes its basic but nice. We went in July and got on all the municipals in the area, as we were touring. Kayaks on the river was hard work..fine when going with the tide..another thing altogether paddling against it!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ha ha ha..no I meant about sharing the site..was a joke. We were there one glorious summer, yes its basic but nice. We went in July and got on all the municipals in the area, as we were touring. Kayaks on the river was hard work..fine when going with the tide..another thing altogether paddling against it!

I know it was a joke - I was just trying to deflect attention :). It is our favourite camp site site but there is a fine line between having enough people going there to keep it open and and not too many to stop us pitching up in our favourite pitch.

When were you there?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know it was a joke - I was just trying to deflect attention :). It is our favourite camp site site but there is a fine line between having enough people going there to keep it open and and not too many to stop us pitching up in our favourite pitch.

When were you there?

Oh my...10 years ago or so? There is a chap on another forum who goes religiously every year, can't remember his name... is that you?:)

Edit: actually more like 15

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Oh my...10 years ago or so? There is a chap on another forum who goes religiously every year, can't remember his name... is that you?:)

Edit: actually more like 15

It wasn't me on the other forum - which one was it? We first went in 2001 and the returned in 20012, 13 and 14. We tend to aim to spend a couple of days there on our way to or from places but usually spend between a week and 10 days piddling about in the river, watching the world go by and making endless cups of coffee :)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
If you want a quiet site try this one Camping LES COMBELLES Borrèze 24590 SALIGNAC. We stumbled on it last August the two big sites 6km down the road were heaving. Here there were two two-man tents on the field with us, and two family tents up in the woods. We intended to stop one night stayed a second it was so nice.
It's a camping on the farm site (grows Walnuts) and the farmer is a really nice guy (dosen't speak much English though). He even did our laundry for us as you use his washing machine. Site has two showers, two toilets,(both unisex) two sinks and two wash-up's. Electricity and a small but nice sunny swimmig pool. Access road is a bit twisty so maybe not suitable for larger units (got my 7.8m unit up there ok).
There's a cycle track to the local town (3km) which has a supermarket and the usual small town shops and a nice church.

Recomend visiting "Les Jardins du Manoir d'Eyrignac". which is close by. You can wild camp in their carpark for a night as part of the entry fee. Guide book can be downloaded as a phone app in english.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Booked the shuttle for May next year and really need advice about where to stay. We went this year, but felt the campsites, although nice are too big and too commercial.
Can anyone recommend sites that are small, pretty and not near a main road...anywhere in the dordogne...but we do want to walk and cycle so near good open country would be best....p.s we stayed at quite a few aires...but hope to,stay on one place for longer this year.
Thanks in advance!

When in May? Some sites may still be closed then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back