Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just bought a new LNB
The original one that was on the Oyster is marked as having a noise level .4dB
And to be frank it was FAR from great.. in fact using a meter and a known .7dB sky thing as a benchmark it did not fair well, so lets be generous and just say the standard Oyster LNB can be easily improved upon ! ;)

Ages ago I replaced it with a .1dB Goldstar but after doing some research I have found that the makers figure may well be a best guess rather than a measured response .. The Goldstar are very cheap and to be fair the one I have has worked well

I have just bought a Inverto Black Ultra Single Universal LNB. Although it is a .2dB it will be a .2 and not something guessed at.
The Inverto stuff is supposed to be sh!t hot and consistently comes out best with the guys who go sat searching..

The Goldstar was good enough to get most of the Sky channels ( not all and certainly not the BBC or ITV channels ) whilst plotted up at Zahora .. This was this year and after they moved the footprint

I shall not really find out how good it is until January when we head south..

Copy of this post in sat / tv section

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I recommended the same lnb a while back , prepare for the nay sayers !
I was receiving al jazera sports 7.3°W ( Andy gray and Richard keys if you had wondered where they had gone ! ) 3 o'clock kick offs on a 1.1m dish in Manchester , lots of experts will tell you that is impossible !
When you are on the margins of reception every possible improvement helps

Good luck with reception , don't know zahora , but my little snipe worked fine past halfway down France .

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well there was plenty of folk who witnessed my system working ok 30 miles south of Cadiz !! ( 85cm Oyster system )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I wasn't doubting your system mate , just wishing you luck with receiving more channels .

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
South of Cadiz , what TV channels can you get that far south ?

Most of the Sky package apart from SciFi and one or two others. ( and as mentioned, no BBC or ITV broadcast channels )

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Good to hear as I'm heading down Southern Spain in January and have an 85cm dish with autoskew and a Sky box plus subscription card so should be able to get something to watch on the dark nights

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good to hear as I'm heading down Southern Spain in January and have an 85cm dish with autoskew and a Sky box plus subscription card so should be able to get something to watch on the dark nights

Should have no problem at all.. We got the everything inc beeb etc as far south as Salamanca where we stopped for the night, but next day down in Zahora we only had ( only :) ) all the Sky package
We use a 12v Pace box for Sky.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for Posting this useful information, I have just ordered a replacement LNB, I use a quad Black Inverto on my 1.35m dish in our garden here in Murcia, the difference when fitted was amazing, even with the Footprint modification we still get ALL the channels, HD also.

One thing I do when leaving for the summer is to remove the LNB and store it away until we return, 40 degrees plus, black plastic, could cook the bits inside, although this is a little more difficult with the roof mounted Oyster.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllll.. The only time we stay still wen abroad is in winter, and the sun is just no where as strong..
When we are away during the summer we tend to travel most days and plot up late afternoon early evening .. It is rare we are in one place for more than a day..

But there is nowt wrong with spraying your LNB white.. it will have no affect on its performance :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back