Spanish apartments cheaper than mohos (2 Viewers)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Idly watched a couple of winter sun progs on Ch 4 today, there were some nice looking 1 bed apartments in Lanzagrotty for £43,000. Amazing value. No wheels though! I guess there are cheap flights, although I haven't checked them out, and I'm not sure that I'd want to go to the same place each time. The thing I like about camping cars is the choice of places you can go. I love that feeling of freedom when you get behind the wheel.

Even so, it makes you reconsider your values.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some of the chalets on the campsites in Spain don't seem a lot dearer than a pitch.
And you get your own flushing inside loo and a bath! Lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There are pros and cons with everything isn't there? MoHo, caravan, static, apartment, all have good and bad points. What suits one family won't suit another.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Idly watched a couple of winter sun progs on Ch 4 today, there were some nice looking 1 bed apartments in Lanzagrotty for £43,000. Amazing value. No wheels though! I guess there are cheap flights, although I haven't checked them out, and I'm not sure that I'd want to go to the same place each time. The thing I like about camping cars is the choice of places you can go. I love that feeling of freedom when you get behind the wheel.

With the motorhome it will have a resale value & you have the likelihood that you will always be able to sell it for a sensible price. I can find you stuff here for as low as 10k. What you have to remember is that now it is equivalent to putting the money in a bin & setting it on fire. Chances of selling if you needed to , in your lifetime, are remote , very remote.

It would be nice to be able to fly over for some winter sun and let it out for the rest of the year..
If you want to let out do it in the UK . Get a dodgy tenant here & you've no chance. can't even cut off water /electric as it is illegal.:LOL:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It would be nice to be able to fly over for some winter sun and let it out for the rest of the year..
Good idea, but I think someone has beaten you to it, well the 675,000 empty unlet/unsold properties that are up for grabs.
Made the number up but there are loads, my Spanish bank owns buckets full of them, can I buy one please Mr Bank Director, NO........ you have to buy at least 10, even that seems a lot for me a current account holder.
A near relative of ours bought off plan with exactly the same Idea, got a couple of weeks bookings in the whole period of ownership, had difficulty in keeping up mortgage payments, and finally WALKED AWAY, leaving the keys at the bank. Sad story but not uncommon.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
When I was having difficulty getting my licence, we thought about firstly a fixed chalet in Benidorm but the sites want around 4000 Euros site fees per year, secondly an apartment plenty going cheap but then your stuck in one place likewise a chalet, so we changed to a caravan so can still get around all be it perhaps not has much has in a MO Ho but still mobile. Pete

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm not planning to buy, as was said there are plusses and minuses each way. It is the value for money, bricks and mortar compared to the high cost of Mohos that I was highlighting.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Not that easy to let as there are so many of them.Friend of mine has a sea view apartment in Fuegarola,,says she just about breaks even on her lettings. BUSBY.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use our MH far more than the bricks and mortar properties that we could use. If we had the choice of one or the other, our MH would be the one.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am quite happy with our place in Benidorm. Community fee Inc water €1400 a year only thing extra is electric as we use it. Feel comfortable that I could rent easy for holidays or long term. Plus as I have done every year can drive down in Motorhome and leave it in storage for €1.20 a day.. Just arrived now on a £70 return flight.. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
With the motorhome it will have a resale value & you have the likelihood that you will always be able to sell it for a sensible price. I can find you stuff here for as low as 10k. What you have to remember is that now it is equivalent to putting the money in a bin & setting it on fire. Chances of selling if you needed to , in your lifetime, are remote , very remote.

If you want to let out do it in the UK . Get a dodgy tenant here & you've no chance. can't even cut off water /electric as it is illegal.:LOL:
You can't legally cut off someone's water in Scotland.....and the chavs all know it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am quite happy with our place in Benidorm. Community fee Inc water €1400 a year only thing extra is electric as we use it. Feel comfortable that I could rent easy for holidays or long term. Plus as I have done every year can drive down in Motorhome and leave it in storage for €1.20 a day.. Just arrived now on a £70 return flight.. :)
Interesting ... is your motorhome covered by your insurer when it is left there?

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Bricks and mortar are a better investment, assuming it's investment you want.
We have a place in Fuengirola that we have a long term let on.
Same as any property investment, it has to be the right place, the right type of property and has to be aimed at the correct area of the market. Entry level property is not the place to be.
As for freedom, the motorhome offers that and we enjoy it more.
Horses for courses.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Yup.. you can fly there cheaper than drive !
trouble is, you do not like the neighbours and you canna really up sticks and move the apartment down the road a bit !
You will be lucky to have any neighbours most of these complexes are empty of people . We visited some friends in mazaron last winter who rented an apartment and it was like a ghost town ,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
You will be lucky to have any neighbours most of these complexes are empty of people . We visited some friends in mazaron last winter who rented an apartment and it was like a ghost town ,
It was only just above a ghost town, as are most Spanish beach resorts around here , in the "good " times.:LOL:
We actually did some work in 2005 in San Juan de Los Terreros , along from Águilas. The lady we did the work for lived in an apartment & , apart from semana santa, fiestas, Águilas carnival in February & the July/August holidays , was the only person in the whole block the rest of the time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Why buy when you can rent for the same price near enough as a campsite pitch:censored:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A mate of mine has just bought a Casa and put it on a annual pitch in Benidorm around Euro 4000 per year plus electric I believe. He got a deal on the new static and I guess his cost with decking etc will be circa Euro 40,000. But you can rent Casa's on the site he loves for E 200 per week. So just on the pitch rent he could rent a Casa for 20 weeks! I doubt he will use his that much. I suppose there is some logic?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Anyone thinking about getting a flat RATHER than a motorhome, for spending time in, can't have the same love of motorhoming that I have.

How can you experience the freedom, independence and the variety of life that a motorhome supplies, in a flat?

I have a fully furnished flat (bought new) here in Portugal. Haven't spent a night in it for years and years. Most expensive laundrette in Europe!

Motorhome Fun... for those who love motorhoming...

JJ :cool:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
A mate of mine has just bought a Casa and put it on a annual pitch in Benidorm around Euro 4000 per year plus electric I believe. He got a deal on the new static and I guess his cost with decking etc will be circa Euro 40,000. But you can rent Casa's on the site he loves for E 200 per week. So just on the pitch rent he could rent a Casa for 20 weeks! I doubt he will use his that much. I suppose there is some logic?
Rent a 4/5 bed house with pool here for 4-500€/month.That's around 7-8 years rent.lol:D

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well. We'll have best of both worlds :)

Taking camper over to Lanzarote next week and we're moving into an apartment for 6 months :)

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
As I said before, that's what we've done! Enjoyed the wander down for 6 weeks and now the van is parked outside our rented apartment. We'll use the van over the winter to do a bit of touring but the apartment is less than a pitch! I wouldn't buy anything, rent and then you have the use with no responsibility!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
People seem to think they need to "own" a place to be happy. I felt like that some years ago as we always owned our own place and, when renting, at first felt insecure. But now we are happy to rent knowing we can move on if or when we want and we use the motorhome many times during the year as a break from "normal" life! We feel we have got it right at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back