Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Ok probably asking for it with a title like that but I just wondered why van size seems to be so important to some of you, most of the vans I see tend to be couples only yet the van is clearly a four birth, is it because of the layout or you wanted more living space, perhaps there was no advantage in going smaller! you tell us funsters why you went for a larger van than you need.
What provoked me was coming to work this morning another motorhome has appeared on a driveway on my road, it is gigantic, based on an earlier Fiat chassis, must be at least 8m long :eek: and just fit in their drive. Motorhomes are certainly getting popular these days! :happy:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Interesting question. We have a 7.5mtr and although we could live with something smaller we do like our own space from time to time. I tend to be a late night person my wife early. With our present lay out we can divide the bedroom and the living area off. Plus as with a house a garage or a shed you never have enough room but you do accumulate loads of junk.:rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes if you like comfort. We have recently parted with our 29' RV with twin slides, having had two RVs previously.
We now have a 20' Hymer B544. A nice motorhome but... But.....
But....
What is all this drop down, climb up and down steps, nearly breaking my neck in the middle of the night bed thing........
Yes it parks easy, but to spend too much time in such confinement , ooh dear me......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes if you like comfort. We have recently parted with our 29' RV with twin slides, having had two RVs previously.
We now have a 20' Hymer B544. A nice motorhome but... But.....
But....
What is all this drop down, climb up and down steps, nearly breaking my neck in the middle of the night bed thing........
Yes it parks easy, but to spend too much time in such confinement , ooh dear me......

Ha ha ha..Oh come on! The main thing is you are still getting out and about surely:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When we were looking for ours the 'must haves' were making for a longer and longer MoHo so we changed it to 'what we need to be comfy' and ended up at two berth 7.5 mtrs 3750kgs. (y)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Yes, often very important for a variety of reasons.
Unlike many here, I travel solo and happy to stay below 5 metres length and below 2 metres height which enables me to go just about anywhere without worrying about size.
I'm a great believer in Parkinson's Law (or the motorhomer's version)

"The number of necessary gadgets expands to fill the locker space available for their storage"

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you want the convenience of a fixed island bed, you're unlikely to find a van under 7m - so I guess size does matter if you dont want to be making the stashing the bed twice a day

Deleted User
Yes, often very important for a variety of reasons.
Unlike many here, I travel solo and happy to stay below 5 metres length and below 2 metres height which enables me to go just about anywhere without worrying about size.
I'm a great believer in Parkinson's Law (or the motorhomer's version)

"The number of necessary gadgets expands to fill the locker space available for their storage"

Absolutely agree with the last paragraph, we have swapped from coach built to panel van and have halved the amount of stuff we were carting about for no real reason.

Having just had 3 months touring without noticing a lack of stuff I'd say we've not missed the additional storage.

The PVC has taken us places we wouldn't have attempted in the coach built so we're happy with the change.

Each to their own though, our friends have a twin axle with an additional trailer and they're as happy as a pair of happy motorhomers. :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
There is only two of us and we have gone for a 6 berth with overhead bed. Reason - layout and how to organise the dogs safely. We have a manic Chocolate Lab who charges everywhere. This gives us the space for him and room to move around and lounge in. We also went for rear bunks as the bottom will be converted into the Kennel area for him and the more quite Black Lab.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
when we first downsized to a PVC from coachbuilt we were over the moon. After some difficult holidays in Spain and Italy..being able to get up into a Tuscan hill village and as long as there was a space for a car we were in!. coming off the ferry from Italy to Croatia. parked up in Split right in port car park....It just removed all the stress.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We wanted a fixed bed as my wife has some mobility problems and making up "pull-out slat and cushions " beds was becoming a chore. As she also takes a little time to "get moving" in the morning, and I like to go out with out dog, the ability to lay up breakfast the night before was a plus.

Therefore fixed bed, plus separate dinette, dictated the layout. Having a largish dog meant we also wanted room to move about. Hence 7.2 metres.

When we returned to motorhoming two years ago, after a period with caravans, we bought an older 5.95 metres van to ensure we still liked M/Hs. We used it for 18 months and decided what was and wasn't right about the layout etc.

Now very happy that we have got what suits us.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ha ha ha..Oh come on! The main thing is you are still getting out and about surely:)

Yes , absolutely right, its still fun , but getting up and down that ladder after a few :drink::wine: is quite risky for one of my vintage :Eeek::rofl:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I like my USB points I can plug phones and tablets in to charge up without a charger:ROFLMAO:
:LOL::LOL: It was a joke, USB's in our house are under sink beauties. Time saving gadgets that take time and space up, bread makers, ice cream makers, deep fat fryers, coffer makers, the list goes on and on. USB's, leave them at home. ;)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I think size is merely a snobbery thing, mine is 11.25 metres long and almost 9 tons and it's all I can do to lower myself to even talk to small van folk.

A good morning is the most you will force out of me......... :imoutahere:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes indeed; truth is I spent £185,000 on mine most of which I saved by avoiding the Pen15 extension operation. My lovely wife said she couldn't handle any more so MoHo it is then.
Ah yes, the lovely lady with very small hands. :oops:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Ah yes, the lovely lady with very small hands. :oops:

You jest sir, she was a hod carrier when she was just 15, but she specialized in carrying two concrete blocks in each hand, earned loads on piece-work.

Obviously she was younger and slimmer in this piccie..........

big_hands_by_piggyboy.jpg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don't know that Size is the "yardstick" (pardon the pun). I think it has most to do with the individual needs of the user.? We have to cope with mobility issues. And was the primary reason that for more than 15 years we had R-V`s. Ageism by HMG. means we had to make some adjustments, and the compromises that are necessary to be able to continue. Before the disability became serious we had Caravans of all sizes. more recently we tried again but comfort in the "Standard" layout was not achievable. Hence the move back to a (smaller 7.4M "Euro")MoHo. Its all "Horses for courses" .

pete

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
couples only yet the van is clearly a four birth

This is salesmanship at work. Four birth vans are usually two birth where two second class midgets could sleep the odd night on makeshift beds. Some four birth aren't good for two for that matter.

But if folk want bigger that is there choice.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This is salesmanship at work. Four birth vans are usually two birth where two second class midgets could sleep the odd night on makeshift beds. Some four birth aren't good for two for that matter.

But if folk want bigger that is there choice.
An example of this -we have a Volvo S60 car it has a massive boot,is really luxurious but the legroom in back is awfull !It is really a two seater.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I guess that's why there are so many different types and sizes of MH's, we are all different and have different requirements.

As one man and his dog, I went for a 6m, but to be honest I hate making up beds. Later next year I see a 6.4/6.7m on the shopping list, not necessarily a fixed bed, but maybe a twin where I could leave one single set up. A small garage is also important, not for a lot of junk, but still junk.

The quest will continue.

Brian

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours is 7.4m. I can't see us ever really wanting anything smaller, if anything we would go the other way. The fixed bed at the rear, a decent sized shower room and a proper door (not a folding screen) to shut it all off from the front are all non negotiable for us. As it is with this one there is plenty of room in the front for three of us and both dogs to sit comfortably.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hired a 23ft motorhome and found it just a tad too long so decided that 20ft was our max, we mostly wildcamp so 20ft is nice and easy to park almost anywhere and with the right layout, plenty of room for both of us(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back