LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
The van we have ordered has Remis blinds around the cab. We have seen a lot of M/H with the Taylor made silver screens on the outside, Mrs T is not over keen on them so with the Remis blinds inside do we need the silver one outside as well?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have the Remis blinds but still use to mist up in the mornings.
We now have external silver screens and hey presto .......no misting up. Well worth the cost IMO (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
The van we have ordered has Remis blinds around the cab. We have seen a lot of M/H with the Taylor made silver screens on the outside, Mrs T is not over keen on them so with the Remis blinds inside do we need the silver one outside as well?

Thanks

Yes.(y);)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
External screens invaluable in hot places when the sun is beating down on the windscreen. Makes the cab much cooler.*

Downside is they are bulky.

*To avoid litigation I should add: Do not use when driving. :)

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Paragon
image-XL.jpg

AND when the heating is not required (y)
IMG_0087-X2.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
If you are intending to use van in winter then I would say yes.

Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has anyone had problems with Remis blinds hardening or cracking after prolonged exposure to continuous sun and heat? I ask because we live in Spain and have to endure (j/k) 320 days of sun each year.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@MichaelT - depends on the time of year when you use your motorhome.
We use the exterior screen:
a) when it's cold outside as it does avoid condensation building up on the windscreen. We do this even if we're only stopping for a single night
b) when it's hot outside as it reflects some of the heat and helps to keep the MH cooler - but only if we're stopping more than one night!
Bill

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We have remis blinds and have external silver screens.

The thing is though that we rarely use the externals (unless it's mega cold ie ski trips)

Yes the screen mists up in cold weather, but crack open the doors in the morning and 2-3 wipes with a microfibre cloth and your good to go (y)

We find externals a bit oppressive in summer and like to see out of the windows until it's time to bed down.

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I am just about to sell a set of silver screens to fit a Ducatto X250. Well worn but will do the job? They have the built in privacy screen (you can pull down the front piece to let light in, not sure what it is called) and have a bag for storage.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
yes.
depending on when you are thinking of going away and where. never seen a van in the alps without them in the winter.
no, if you plan statying in the relatively mild climates of Europe but get yourself a good window vac for all the condensation you WILL get.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So am I,
Brisey.
We have internal blinds which are really good but removing the condensation from an A class windscreen is a pain unless you have the Karcher window vac on board (other brands are available........ I think), so we tend to use the silver screens, which even on an A class takes one person about 2 minutes. The centre section can be folded right down if required.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Taylormade external screens (long), Remis internal blinds and Karcher Window Vac.

By the time I can see out the front window the CC Site warden's round giving me stick for being late off site!;):whistle:
Only kiddin. Wouldn't be without the external screens.(y)

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've only ever had paragon silverscreens. . And hot or cold .. wouldn't be without them

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you use the van when it's really cold, using the external silver screens will make a lot of difference to the internal temperature of the van, so you would need less gas to heat.
I would say a necessity rather than a luxury :)

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Remember they come in different lengths and ones which extend beyond the bottom of the windscreen can be very useful if you are parked where leaves and twigs are falling from overhead trees. Stops the vents getting blocked.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Has anyone had problems with Remis blinds hardening or cracking after prolonged exposure to continuous sun and heat? I ask because we live in Spain and have to endure (j/k) 320 days of sun each year.

Hard life eh? Having to endure 320 days of sun! Anyway, to add my thoughts to the overwhelming vies of the majority, we use both, either singly or in combination, depending upon the weather and yes they are a bit bulky but they will squash into under seat storage and are very light. Gary

Upvote 0

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
If you use the van in very hot or very cold weather they are a must have, they make a big difference in the extreme conditions. If not then it's personal choice and if you can be bothered with wiping the condensation each morning.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use ours all the time, hot or cold. As has already been said they prevent condensation, help to keep the van warmer in winter and cooler in summer. They don't block any light either as the centre section can be folded completely down.

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We have a MH with a rear u shaped lounge set up which we have used in all seasons hot and cold. We do not get condensation inside the windscreen and are plenty warm enough when it is cold and we only ever use the fitted internal blinds. Perhaps those who do get condensation do not have well ventilated vans?

We park up on sites and have seen others get out the screens and put them on as soon as they park up. They are then left on for the duration night and day. SWMBO and I always think how dark it must be inside their vans. We have seen external screens used in hot weather and cold weather.

We enjoy the light, the views and the people watching and can not understand why so many motorhomers seem to prefer sitting inside their dark 'caves'. We have speculated that they are all people who live in cities and who have net curtains at home and are obsessed with privacy. This seemed particularly prevalent over in France. Perhaps they are symbolically pulling their shutters closed as they do on their houses. It also strikes us as a signal that the occupants want to keep themselves to themselves!

KH

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
my old hymer has a sort of nappy that goes across the windscreen which, as others have said, helps to prevent condensation and/or heat loss, but it is also much more light-proof than the curtains so I sleep better and, from the outside, you can see no light when "wilding".

Do you need one? Do you need a motorhome? Probably not, but it makes life better?

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
KH remarks about the shutters in France. I learned my lesson many years ago in Provence. I arrived at my accommodation late afternoon. Went to my room - not airconditioned and saw the shutters almost pulled together. Through the gap I could see the gorgeous country I have come to love and opened them up. The cool room warmed. The view wonderful no problem.

Next day room service had been in while I was a breakfast and when I returned to the room I saw the shutters (les volets) had been pulled together with the gap again. Mr Knowall (me) thought ahah, I'll soon change that (sun off to the side at the moment and about 0830). Opened them wide and went out for the day. On my return, I entered the bastide, nice and cool compared to outside - very hot and went to my room. Arghhhhhhhh.... it was like walking into an oven. Lesson learned I now knew why there were shutters.

Definately get them if you are going South, you can still people watch out of the other windows or pull the section down. I don't care for nets but I would not go anywhere without my fly screens.

Meander complete.

Clive:france::france::france:

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I was given a set this year at Thetford and have to say they make a great difference both hot and cold. They worked great whilst in the UK at night and travelling back to Spain used them during the day and kept the MH cooler. Worth getting and now we use them all the time.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back