Help please - motorhome replacement tyres (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Having had two "blow outs" on the side walls within 20 miles of each other we want to replace the tyres. I know they are 185 R 14 tyres but there is no "pay load" on them.

Does anyone have any idea what is the correct pay load - the number I am looking for is something like 102/100 or 118/110 but I cant find the information anywhere.

It relates to the maximum weight the tyres can take.

We have a talbot express bedoiun which is similar to the Fiat Ducato Highwayman.

Any help much appreciated.

C

Clausentum

Deleted User
Best Tyre company

Have you heard of Micheldever Tyres near Winchester? or UK Tyres Online: Discount Car Tyres | Blackcircles.com which is an online version who seem to get their stock and amazingly competitive rates from Micheldever. Online you enter your post-code and then are given your nearest dealer. They have the tyres sent direct to them, they also get paid a commission. So whilst they might have initially quoted a higher price, they are now happy to deal & fit from an order sent to the BlackCircle site.

Whilst I caravanned, we often found Micheldever SO trustworthy on price and workmanship. (Travelling some distance was worth the savings). They had rolling beds and amazing high tech wokshops. Well recommended!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
You need a load rating higher than a quarter of the gross weight of your m/h.

If you find the rating that gives you a 1/4 of the gross weight of your m/h, and then go three greater, you'll be about right.

Your new tyres should have a C for commercial on them.

Safest to fit your new tyres to your back axle.
You are less likely to lose your back end in an emergency that way.
You are also less likely to get an emergency on wet greasy roads.

If you have a tag axle Ducatto, fit them to the front axle, and go a size higher.
You'll get less understeer that way.

There are special "motorhome" tyres.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im forever amazed at the prices some pay for a "Motorhome Tyre"
Whats the differece between 3.5 ton of Motorhome
and 3.5 ton (often more ) of white van:RollEyes: at a 1/4 of the cost:Doh:

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Geo
Would there be any insurance claim implications if you had a 'prang' in a motor- home not fitted with 'Camping' tyres?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ive no idea really, all tyres are made to a european standard and are tested for the load rating that is stated on them,why the shape of the body has any bearing is a nystery to me, there are 1000s of top heavy white box vans that dont use camping tyres,where do you draw the line
camper tyres
mini bus tyres
tipper van tyres
panel van tyres
red car tyres yellow car tyres etc etc:Doh:
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
red car tyres yellow car tyres etc etc:Doh:
Geo

Ive got some of them. black car tyres on my black car, is that legal?,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Many thanks everyone for your help

log book shows ours as a 1.3T

so we are thinking of going with these ones

Firestone Vanhawk
Tyre Size 195/80R14

They have a 106 load so should be suitable

Once again everyone many thanks xxxxx

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the answer is no. a m,home is based on a comercial vehicle of a specific weight if its 3.5 ton then thats the wgt. you need tyres for. i would recomend 8ply for most campers ,possibly reignforced 6ply if short of cash. only a couple of inches of rubber is what touches the road. change old tyres it makes sense. also most tyre wall damage is caused by clipping kerbs etc. i can never understand why people think insurers willtry to get out of a claim .be legal n dont listen to the fat guy down the pub. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sorry Gail, I will put my serious head on now.

The answer I found (on another pipe and slipper forum) when changing mine was how can I say, a massive argument.

Some said normal tyres and others insisted they must be camping tyres. Here are some of the reasons for and against that were given.

Ordinary tyres I was told rated high enough, in terms of load etc. and therefore you don't need special camping tyres.

However, I went for camping tyres as the man whom gave the best info (and had the biggest pipe and slippers) pointed out, that Motorhomes stand for long periods, especially longer than white van man. Therefore this standing still lark allegedly causes damage to the walls of the tyre on the van, this got me thinking I should go for the camping tyre, also another person pointed out ad no one could argue, Why when MHs come out the gate are they all shod on camping tyres? if it was acceptable to be on normal tyres, would they not just put them on normal tyres as they are so much cheaper? There wasn't really an answer for that so I went with it.

HAving said all this of course, many people run there vans on ordinary tyres without issue so it aint a massive problem. Ten years ago before internet, these people giving this info would of just been the fat people down the pub :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Totally confused now.

Has anyone heard of toyo tyres, these are being recommended locally.

The michelin camping tyres apparently arent as good as they are supposed to be.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I've had Toyo tyres on a 2.8 Granada and Toyo super singles on an artic trailer. Top class tyres. If the price is right don't hesitate. :thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
My Devon Monaco, 3500 kg, has Continental Vanco 225/65R 16C 112/110R tyres so the load factor OK (1120 kg per tyre).

The layout of info is in a somewhat different layout to the Tyresafe leaflet I downloaded using the link above and I cannot find the code for the date of manufacture. Can anyone help me out?

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
My Devon Monaco, 3500 kg, has Continental Vanco 225/65R 16C 112/110R tyres so the load factor OK (1120 kg per tyre).

The layout of info is in a somewhat different layout to the Tyresafe leaflet I downloaded using the link above and I cannot find the code for the date of manufacture. Can anyone help me out?

Contact the company I eventually found its called alltyres

They are also wholesalers so may be able to point you in a direction near you, in case they cant help you direct, their contact number is 020 8551 0033

their website is here :

Link Removed

dont forget to say Gail recommended them xxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back