Not a good first two weeks as a Beginner (1 Viewer)

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well its two weeks since picking up my Motorhome from Lowdhams and I wasn't going to post about how the demo went but I feel now they have sold me the Motorhome knowing things were not right and I am a bit peed off. Its a long one so get a cuppa!

We were told not to be late as we had our slot for the first of the day and if we were late they would have to cut our time as other customers were booked in. We got there on time but was told it wasn't ready due to not having the side window blinds to the cab sorted (there were none fitted). We waited over 30 minutes after our scheduled time before we were called and the demo began with the Salesman covering the cab first. Unfortunately along with the salesman the demo employee had not been with the company long and as I found out later I had been given incorrect instructions such as the aerial did not go flat and grey waste is just emptied on the floor under the motorhome!! The salesman didn't even know that the leisure batteries charged as the MH was running (that much I had learnt from the forum, so was able to advice him). Time was moving on and the salesman had to see his next customer but I asked him to show me how to work the alarm and the reply was 'just have a play with it', then he went. The water heater was not even shown to us until I saw another salesman and asked what it was. I am annoyed now that I was put on the spot and asked how I would grade them on the demo, well on reflection knowing what I know now, I would have said not brilliant. Unfortunately I said very good! What really annoys me is that having got home and going slowly over all the little switches and gadgets I found that I had been misinformed how the heating worked, the radio did not work at all and the alarm did not work as it should.

In Lowdhams defence I phoned them up and the works manager sent a technician (he lived close by) to look at these matters. He showed me how the heating worked but the radio needed replacing and he couldn't help with the alarm.

The next disaster (8th Nov) was my partner was reversing it out of our tight drive and caught the MH on the gutter and it punctured the side of the MH! So, phoned Lowdhams (9th) and said I needed to book it in asap due to rain possibly getting in this hole. Booked it for Tues 10th Nov and a finished date approx 16th. They were also going to fit new radio and check alarm. Today 14th I have had a call to say it won't be ready on the 16th as the alarm will not work correctly and cannot be reset to factory settings so may need a new alarm. Also they are waiting for new parts for the other problems. That did not matter too much because I wanted the hole filling in as priority but that has not even been done. So for 4 days its been rained on, I was concerned that damp would get in . I did make a comment to Lowdhams that they cannot say my warranty is void because they have not dealt with the hole when it had clearly been marked on the report as priority. I insisted they put it under cover but they don't have room so they have put a cover over it.

So that is my MH experience as I said not a good first two weeks. Sorry its long but I needed to vent.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
As with a lot of Motorhome dealers their after sales leaves something to be desired as I am finding out myself. After your home its probably the most expensive thing you'll ever buy but the dealers don't seem to grasp that. Good Luck hope all ends up well.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Not a good start to your motorhoming experience. I hope they sort the problems satisfactorily and you can get on with enjoying your motorhome. (y)

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You were unfortunate to have been given a bad handover by an inexperienced staff member. That is unforgivable.

Blaming Lowdham for the consequences of your accident doesn't make sense.
Most of us would get the duct tape out pending a proper repair.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Blaming Lowdham for the consequences of your accident doesn't make sense.
Most of us would get the duct tape out pending a proper repair.

Jonandshell I am no way blaming them for the accident and what a brilliant idea to use duct tape....I might just drive there now and put some on, just in case the cover is not on! I am annoyed it has not been repaired when I was told it would be priority. Perhaps I am being impatient and this wait is to be expected!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It's a shame your new motorhome got damaged, it must be very annoying, is it possible to move the gutter.
As for the poor hand over, it's not really good enough and you shouldn't have to be rushed like that. It's good that being on here you can get advice on how to operate stuff.
Enjoy it when you finally get it back.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Since becoming a Motorhome owner I've been surprised on the aftercare some dealers give, if you paid the price of a Motorhome for a car the dealership would be falling over themselves to look after you, knowing two things, they can't afford the bad publicity and if they treat you right you will come back to them when you want another van but it seems Motorhome and high end car dealerships are two completely different things.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Jonandshell I am no way blaming them for the accident and what a brilliant idea to use duct tape....I might just drive there now and put some on, just in case the cover is not on! I am annoyed it has not been repaired when I was told it would be priority. Perhaps I am being impatient and this wait is to be expected!

Patience is a virtue essential when dealing with the leisure vehicle industry!
It hurts when you accidentally damage something so valuable to you but you need to remain practical.
You may well be waiting many months for parts for a repair. A bit of duct tape might be the practical answer to you enjoying your van whilst you wait for parts and for the workshop to book it in.
You just need to be able to live down the shame of having your damage on display!
Can I suggest wild camping or quiet CLs as places to stay to prevent the embarrassment of caravanners seeing your misfortune!:)

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
When I bought my motor home through Webbs at their Reading depot,I had an hours handover and some faults were found and dealt with whilst I waited. I can only say I had great service from them ,and I was buying a 5yr old van. .also I found that living near the dealer an advantage although I had !ooked at other dealers who had similar vehicles a bit cheaper their reviews were not as good so paid a bit extra and ha e been well satisfied …

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I joined the forum 30 months ago following virtually a zero handover, but we bought privately, not sure if it was our excitement to get it or his keenness to get rid of it, but he had it all connected up and lit up so it looked amazing, only when we got home, worse half way, stopped for a cuppa in our new pride and joy, nothing worked

In our case it was mainly the batteries that were goosed, on his hook up all looked fine

In very small defence of the dealer, unless you are buying a brand new model from the stocked range I am not overly surprised they do not understand how they work, a lot of us (well me at least anyway) are still finding things we didn't know months after buying. They can be so technical that knowing all the detail on all MH's available would be a miracle and take all day to pas on

Cars are the same in my experience

I hope that things for you work out like ours did, a few night away, a few questions on here, chat to a few people on site, most of it is now fully understood, in our case we have now developed vehicle engine problems just to keep us on our toes :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Patience is a virtue essential when dealing with the leisure vehicle industry!
It hurts when you accidentally damage something so valuable to you but you need to remain practical.
You may well be waiting many months for parts for a repair. A bit of duct tape might be the practical answer to you enjoying your van whilst you wait for parts and for the workshop to book it in.
You just need to be able to live down the shame of having your damage on display!
Can I suggest wild camping or quiet CLs as places to stay to prevent the embarrassment of caravanners seeing your misfortune!:)

When I was given a date and time I assumed it was booked in, obviously I got that wrong. My annoyance with them is that they had to know the alarm was not working correctly as it always sets itself off when you alarmed it. Also the radio never worked and surely these things are checked before they leave their premises, or am I wrong? I would bring it back home however my insurance would be void if the alarm is not working properly.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi GL as you are now aware most things are checked by yourself ;)A good dealer will put it through there workshop to make sure things work before you get your hands on the van-find a good dealer :(
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Buy a roll of Gaffa tape, comes in handy for accidents, temp repairs or to stop losing bits that may fall off when travelling....it's really not a great idea to let water get in.

Have never heard of such an appaling hand over particularly to some one new to it all......shocking!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I questioned a dealer/salesman about the condition of a used £50k van they were trying to sell, his excuse was "we don't like to spend any money on a used van incase we can't sell it and have to trade it. They then promise to put everything right before you pick it up but in reality they do next to nothing and buy a warranty that you pay for but they can claim for the work they didn't want to do when you find the faults.

Not all dealers I am sure but I saw this in action.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is an interesting thread and I will explain why. We bought our first (new) motorhome from Lowdhams Huddersfield in 2006. The sales team were brilliant and took great care and plenty of time to go over every aspect of the van, internal and external, and I really could not have asked for more. I see that some replies have said words to the effect of "don't expect experienced staff". Why not? This company has been selling a wide range of motorhomes for many years and poor training is inexcusable in my view. Anyway, that was our experience with the sales team. Sadly the after sales service was abysmal. They argued the toss about what counted as snagging, saying that roller blind failures within a few months were to be expected. They took the van in when the electroblock failed at just 6 months and then took weeks to fix it. Eventually I managed to get hold of someone with knowledge, clout and a good attitude to customer service and he took personal charge of my van and when I asked him to quote me for a sliding door to be cut and fitted through to the garage from below the rear transverse bed, he made sure they did it sharpish and then waived the fee. Which in my eyes, made him a hero. Though I still think he was one of a kind.
I doubt he is still there now, which is a pity. Our experience with Lowdhams meant that when we bought our next van we did not go back, going instead to what was then (I think) Barron's at Darlington, when we bought another brand new van. We fell out of love with the van after three years, but can't complain about the standard of sales and aftercare we received.
But the service we got at Edgehill motorhomes where we bought our Hymer was the best of the lot. When we picked ours up it was gleaming and fully serviced/inspected/cam belt changed. Lee, the sone who now appears to be the main man, took us into one of the workshops where a man was cleaning some of the internal fittings for another of their vans individually by hand prior to refitting them. When we eventually do change this van we will definitely return to Edgehill.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi GL as you are now aware most things are checked by yourself ;)A good dealer will put it through there workshop to make sure things work before you get your hands on the van-find a good dealer :(
terry

Hi Terry I thought Lowdhams would be good (only 30 mins drive from me) and I was told that everything is checked before driving away. Perhaps sales don't talk to service! This MH ticked almost everything on my checklist and is only a 2014 model. The price of Lowdhams warranty is included in the price so all replacements (not the accident damage) should be sorted FOC. Its just the fact when you get something new you don't want to have to say goodbye to it less than 2 weeks later. Not a happy bunny :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought our first (new) motorhome from Lowdhams Huddersfield in 2006. The sales team were brilliant and took great care and plenty of time to go over every aspect of the van, internal and external, and I really could not have asked for more. I see that some replies have said words to the effect of "don't expect experienced staff". Why not? This company has been selling a wide range of motorhomes for many years and poor training is inexcusable in my view. Anyway, that was our experience with the sales team. Sadly the after sales service was abysmal.

Eventually I managed to get hold of someone with knowledge, clout and a good attitude to customer service and he took personal charge of my van.

Our experience with Lowdhams meant that when we bought our next van we did not go back. .

The reason why I didn't buy private was because I didn't know what I would be looking for in so far as faults etc., I have put my entire trust with Lowdhams and I will monitor their service and this would be the deciding factor if I went back for a second one. What was the name of the helpful guy?

Upvote 0

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
We have yet to use after sales in this country yet as purchased new in Germany and no problems yet!(know about). However we have been in contact with several dealers regards queries etc, and the best by far is Matt Hunt and the team at Family Travel Centre. Along way from us but we will be using them foe servicing and hab checks when required

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The reason why I didn't buy private was because I didn't know what I would be looking for in so far as faults etc., I have put my entire trust with Lowdhams and I will monitor their service and this would be the deciding factor if I went back for a second one. What was the name of the helpful guy?
It was Jamie, but remember this was nearly ten years ago. He was then probably in his 20s, around 6ft tall, stocky build, thick dark hair,

Gary

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@Giddy Lynn, 5 years ago, our handover mirrored yours exactly, van hadn't been cleaned, the skylight blind that was hanging down on our viewing was still hanging down 3 weeks later when we went to pick it up. It was a Saturday and they were short staffed and just wanted shot of us. In all fairness we were excited and naieve and they fully exploited that. Luckily I'm quite capable and did most of the snagging myself, we had to take it back to replace the hab ecu under warranty and they made you feel like they were doing us a favour. Getting any joy from the after sales team was like pulling teeth. The main character we had to deal with, we named Frau Blucher after the housekeeper in the Young Frankenstein movie.
The positives are that we love the van and we learned a valuable lesson.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
When I was given a date and time I assumed it was booked in, obviously I got that wrong. My annoyance with them is that they had to know the alarm was not working correctly as it always sets itself off when you alarmed it. Also the radio never worked and surely these things are checked before they leave their premises, or am I wrong?
Unfortunately, from my experience with Lowdhams, I would have to say you are wrong. :(

Having asked them on 3 different occasions to confirm the age, size and condition of the leisure batteries, it was only finally on handover day that they told me the age was unknown but they were 100Ah, had been tested and held charge just fine.

Spent the first night on their site and tested everything on 240v - all ok. Next night I was off hook-up and within half-an-hour, warnings were going off to close down equipment and run the engine as leisure batteries were low. The batteries that they had assured me had been tested and were fine were actually completely knackered! They ended up having to send out a mobile engineer with two replacement batteries - far more costly to Lowdhams than if they'd simply changed them themselves to start with. o_O

Having said that, I had a very comprehensive and unrushed handover from them and the Sales guy I dealt with (Steve Straw) was always helpful and knowledgeable. However, the service section there are abysmal. Also their insurance-based warranty means you end up having to justify/argue your case for anything that goes wrong. Would I buy from them again? No!

Upvote 0
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We bought a new Laika from Lowdhams Huddersfield in Autumn 2005. The handover day was deferred from the target day because something wasn't ready. Arrived in good me for next handover date, having been assured over the phone that the van was checked and ready to drive away, but was waiting around for an hour and a half before the handover began.

It was quickly apparent that the extras we had ordered and paid for had still not been fitted but they promised to fit them while we waited. All this took another few hours.

It seems that things haven't changed much in 10 years! There was a brilliant guy in service who helped us sort out the detailed snagging list by phone- he was their main asset - Sales were, simply, Sales and not focussed on anything but commission earning potential.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Shame this dealer isn't on the forum.... Would be interesting to get their excuses....sorry - response...

Don't think they have any defense ...There hand over procedure & PDI not fit for purpose. Treating all customers the same whether experienced or not is a mockery of the term "customer service". Carrying out a handover using a stop clock is a joke if not breaking consumer law.....

I have never had anything resembling this with my purchases in Europe.. behavior recognizable!lol We always stay one night locally though and go back in to the dealers next morning if unsure about something....Can imagine what sort of reception that would illicit from this shower.

Then I look at what they charge for European vans!:censored:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back