A FRAME, WHATS ALL THAT ABOUT (1 Viewer)

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Always thinking ahead as to what my next van might be and it seems many on here have RV's, bit OTT for me but the name Hymer comes up a lot, in particular the A frame models. Personally I have always hated the look of A frames but then once I despised caravans until I bought one so like most I read these threads and learn a great deal about the merits and faults with various models, having never been to a MH show I am a bit blinkered.
Until recently I believed the only point of an A frame was living space to the front end however since seeing a pair of Hymers on a delivery truck parked end to end in a service area that theory has been crushed as one was an A frame the other Ducato based, exactly the same coachbuilt rear end and exactly the same overall size and space..
When We started looking at motorhomes to fit on our drive the length limit was 6 metres, an absolute no compromise limit would be 6.5 metres, so the one I got was 6.75 metres :confused:, fortunately the cab can sit out on the wide section of pavement. I did ask the neighbours and they were ok with it and never had a problem from passing folk, infact many like to stop and chat being it is a VW thus rarely seen in the UK.
What I want to know from you A frame owners is what is so special about them, help me turn my thoughts to A frames perhaps, after all the thought of one day owning one is growing on me, especially if it is true that some may use Mercedes diesels.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do you mean Al-Ko chassis by any chance?

My last van was on an Al-Ko chassis and it gave a really good ride, plus it was lower to the ground. By preference, I would buy a van with such a chassis, given the choice

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think you must mean A-Class as in a complete integrated body that is built by the motorhome manufacturer. It looks like a small coach rather than a van with a motorhome body on the back.
If this is correct, then just to confuse you, A-Class is a UK term whereas on the continent, they are generally referred to as 'Integrated'; and to confuse a bit more, Hymer call their A-class / Integrated vans B-Class.
All clear?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We had a Mercedes Frankia A Class. great for space. But we ended up rarely using the cab area as it had a huge rear lounge.

My wife hated driving it too, our Family loved it.

frank2.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just goes to show how many A related things there are in the motorhome world :) !!

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Show how little I know about them, yes I mean A class, the van I have has an Al-Ko chassis and the ride is amazing, very low to the ground as you said DuxDeluxe.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Hymer (B630) 'A-class' which is just under 6.5 metres long. One of the benefits of a shorter A-class is that you get a great sense of space at the front which becomes part of the lounge area (ours has a rear transverse bed over a garage) without having to haul a long van. Also, A-class vans normally have a pull-down double bed over the driving position which retains the space until night time. It's the only motorhome we have owned (since 2007) and we love it. At first, it may seem a little more daunting to drive as it feels very wide compared with a standard van cab, but in reality the entire vehicle is no wider. You soon get used to it and the panoramic views when travelling are great.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Always thinking ahead as to what my next van might be and it seems many on here have RV's, bit OTT for me but the name Hymer comes up a lot, in particular the A frame models. Personally I have always hated the look of A frames but then once I despised caravans until I bought one so like most I read these threads and learn a great deal about the merits and faults with various models, having never been to a MH show I am a bit blinkered.
Until recently I believed the only point of an A frame was living space to the front end however since seeing a pair of Hymers on a delivery truck parked end to end in a service area that theory has been crushed as one was an A frame the other Ducato based, exactly the same coachbuilt rear end and exactly the same overall size and space..
When We started looking at motorhomes to fit on our drive the length limit was 6 metres, an absolute no compromise limit would be 6.5 metres, so the one I got was 6.75 metres :confused:, fortunately the cab can sit out on the wide section of pavement. I did ask the neighbours and they were ok with it and never had a problem from passing folk, infact many like to stop and chat being it is a VW thus rarely seen in the UK.
What I want to know from you A frame owners is what is so special about them, help me turn my thoughts to A frames perhaps, after all the thought of one day owning one is growing on me, especially if it is true that some may use Mercedes diesels.

I wanted a VW coachbuilt, but could not find one with rear lounge and seatbelt - what is your model code as I keep staring at your avatar wondering...

My Rapido is an A Class under 6.5m, it's the width that actually gives it the roomier feel. It's a Fiat, but so far I've found it a pleasure to drive (don't get me wrong I'd love a 3.0 merc, but this is my first MH).

My last camper was a T25 Westy, which we loved for 10 years. Love the MH more though :)

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I wanted a VW coachbuilt, but could not find one with rear lounge and seatbelt - what is your model code as I keep staring at your avatar wondering...

My Rapido is an A Class under 6.5m, it's the width that actually gives it the roomier feel. It's a Fiat, but so far I've found it a pleasure to drive (don't get me wrong I'd love a 3.0 merc, but this is my first MH).

My last camper was a T25 Westy, which we loved for 10 years. Love the MH more though :)
Mine is a Karmann Colorado 660, belted rear seats and rear lounge, the rear lounge converts to a large double bed but we leave it as a fixed bed, the shower and toilet area is large with good quality fittings infact the only downside compared to UK vans being is does not have an oven, typical european spec though not a problem for us as we either eat out use the microwave or the hob.
They are very rare in the UK and this is one of a handful of RH drive models. It has the 2.5L motor in it the same engine fitted to the Colorado that I believe holds the world speed record for motorhomes (Why on earth do we need a speed record for a motorhome!! :confused:) painted orange I understand it is now owned by a UK resident.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Might be worth looking this to help you understand the different sorts of MH. http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Mine is a Karmann Colorado 660, belted rear seats and rear lounge, the rear lounge converts to a large double bed but we leave it as a fixed bed, the shower and toilet area is large with good quality fittings infact the only downside compared to UK vans being is does not have an oven, typical european spec though not a problem for us as we either eat out use the microwave or the hob.
They are very rare in the UK and this is one of a handful of RH drive models. It has the 2.5L motor in it the same engine fitted to the Colorado that I believe holds the world speed record for motorhomes (Why on earth do we need a speed record for a motorhome!! :confused:) painted orange I understand it is now owned by a UK resident.

Yes, the Karman Mobil? It was briefly owned by a friend of mine who sold it on.

I looked at the 660's but they were too long! The LT's were shorter, I toyed with getting a Missouri, but they only came in diesel, so no good for the LEZ.

Yes, it is rare, especially RHD. Good money too.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Why are all your threads posted in CAPITAL LETTERS ?
You may not realise that on forums this is considered as shouting :unsure:
I didn't notice I was doing that so point taken Techno100, force of habit I guess :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back