Hello! (1 Viewer)

M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Or "Hi!" whichever you prefer :)

I`m Mike, just converted a Citroen Relay ex-plasterers van to a basic motorhome-ette. It may just be a baby compared to your vehicles but I`m very proud of what I`ve made.

I bought the van mid March and took about 8 weeks to get the biggest part of the work done which includes fitting rear with seats/double bed, insulating, lining, carpeting walls/ceiling, parquet floor, cupboard and storage areas, full respray, caravan side window, sunroof, replaced engine etc etc. Its one of those never ending but very enjoyable projects. Everything was built from scratch courtesy of B&Q timber dept. I`ll post some pictures soon.

So, here`s looking forward to helping and being helped by fellow MHers :)

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome to the FUN site, no one minds what vehicle you have on this site ! Well done for all the hard work you have put in and I am sure you will inspire others :thumb: :Smile:

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Shwm ai from Wales :thumb: It's somthing i would love to do, but DIY skills would never allowed :ROFLMAO:. Definatly get some piccies up, but if it's your avatar it looks brill :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Thanks! This site is fascinating, I can see I`ll be hooked here.

Don`t be put off by thinking you can`t do it yourself. Just plan out well then break it down into small tasks. Keep an eye out for bargains and adapt when you see that "must not miss" item. One example, when I`d built the carcass for my cupboard I looked at B&Q for door ideas. I came across a door that had been reduced from £22 to 50p! It was perfect apart from being an inch too short. Well, the carcass only cost a few pounds so I rebuilt it to fit the door.

Must sort out my build pics but bear in mind its a perpetual work in progress :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike and welcome :thumb: from another self builder ::bigsmile::thumb:
Mine (or should I say ours) was completed almost 3 yrs ago and has proved virtually trouble free :thumb:As you said don't be put off with skill levels as there is no rush :thumb: or anything laid in stone :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Indeed if I had had to do the leccy bits (instead of my mate)mine also would still be an ongoing project :ROFLMAO:Most of all get it to the stage where you can enjoy :thumb: and the other bits can follow :ROFLMAO:
The other bit is you can now listen to all the complaints on the factory built vans with a big smile on your face :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
M

Mike-H

Deleted User
So true Terry! Mine is basic but everything works as planned. The only thing I got help with was swapping the engine. I could have done it myself but I got a very kind offer of help. We had a shakedown stay in Keswick last weekend that went very well. Like you say, get it useable then add/adapt as you go. Thats exactly what we`re doing.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike, we were in Keswick last weekend too :thumb:Hope you had a nice weekend :thumb: we did ::bigsmile:
terry
ps can anybody (JIM ) cast any light as to what has happened to the instant email reply jobby ?

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Mike.:welcome:

You are mobile and enjoying your van thats the main thing. thats all any of us do, regardless of size, or cost.:thumb::thumb:

Dave

OP
OP
M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Thanks for the welcome, guys :Smile: I had chance to shake hands and chat with a few of you today at Pauls meet. Next time, (Morecambe?), I`ll get there earlier and make more acquaintances.

Special thanks to Graham and Jean for introducing themselves then dragging me around to meet others :thumb: Sorry I left without saying bye but I did call.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I`m Mike, just converted a Citroen Relay ex-plasterers van to a basic motorhome-ette. It may just be a baby compared to your vehicles but I`m very proud of what I`ve made.

Now that's impressive. Anyone can buy one, designing and building is something else. In fact it's something some of the well known makers aren't too good at.

Mind you, you'll not enjoy it as much, no waiting for warranty work, no falling out with useless crooked dealers, no recalls - where's the fun in that ?

You'll have to do the best you can.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi and welcome. I am staggered by the expertise needed to do what you have done- and quite a bit envious too. Would love to see some interior pictures.
Lucille

OP
OP
M

Mike-H

Deleted User
Thanks Lucille. Just for you, Ive put a few build pics in the garage. I`ll add some up to date ones tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back