Morocco, Breakdown Cover and Beyond (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I can see a lot of you travel to Morocco regularly. Has anyone ventured further south into Mauritania, Senegal and Gambia with a motorhome? It's a trip we are hoping to make next year, although it was planned before we bought the MH and I think it would still be better to make it in something a bit less ostentatious.
Also, separate question, can you get breakdown cover for Morocco?
Paul

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
As above, I'm with ADAC . Got it for Morocco last year and just renewed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A "motorhome" probably isn't the best vehicle for such a trip but happy to be corrected on that. There are companies running trips like that but they generally use multi wheel drive trucks. I guess you could use a 4*4 with a demountable or a roof mounted tent. One route they use is shown below.
Screenshot_20151114-082627.png

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Adac cover Morocco on their standard recovery scheme

As above, I'm with ADAC . Got it for Morocco last year and just renewed

How does one apply for ADAC insurance? The website I googled said that you need to be resident in Germany:(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just get a friend to tow you to the nearest village . every village has great mechanics . be fixed in no time .
yes loads go further . have been as far as gabon in my old vw t2 . only as far as gambia in the artic .
was hard years ago to get visa,s etc . then it got easier you could get a re entry visa just down from dakla at the border . i,m told thats stopped again .
i can say mautitainia is a wate of time . senegal is ok. gambia is ok and just about everyone speaks english there. but the border is a night mare .
sierra leone is great not at all like we are told about .

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just phone them and if you are lucky they will let you join but they have been reluctant to take UK members for a while. Existing UK members have been allowed to renew but getting a new membership is not certain. It is a German number but they speak English.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Thanks for all the replies. I still think an MH would not be the best vehicle for such a trip but I was interested to find if anyone on here had experience of it. I know many people make the journey as far as Gambia by motorcycle and 4*4. As for personal safety I believe Spain and France are as high or even higher risk than Western Sahara as recent events in Paris have shown.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
When we where in Morocco 2014 we spoke to a guy who had just come back up from Gambia in a motorhome I can't remember what it was was but it was not a 4 by 4 possibly either a pvc or a small c class
He said it was not easy to do with borders and such but he enjoyed it
Suggy and Ken may remember more @SUGGY @canopus

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
2104... One of our little group of 3 vans had a blow out..
While we were sorting it out a Peugeout 206 stopped and out got 2 blokes from Bristol way. !!
Had a chat and they were on route to Gambia as part of a charity event, buy a car max £400 ish drive to Gambia and sell it !!
Money goes to a charity and then you fly home.. So Yes people are doing it..

Ref ADAC,,. My understanding is that for Morocco they will let you "claim back" a certain amount (€200 seems to come to mind) after you have paid the bill and sent in receipts but there is certainly no ADAC or similar breakdown truck that comes out to you.. Others may be able to advise more on that part of it..

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
00494155673. It used to be a lady called Barbara Lorenz who dealt with all the English callers, but now there are plenty who speak English..
It costs about £86 for "Plus" which covers wifey/partner as well.
Covers any vehicle you are driving anywhere in Europe.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just phone them and if you are lucky they will let you join but they have been reluctant to take UK members for a while. Existing UK members have been allowed to renew but getting a new membership is not certain. It is a German number but they speak English.
That is incorrect. They have no policy against taking new members from the UK.

Also .. if you have an accident in Morocco you get the full assistance of Adac. If you have a breakdown the following policy applies.
"As part of the ADAC Plus membership costs for remedying breakdowns and towing costs are reimbursed up to EUR 300 respectively.For members without ADAC Plus membership that assistance is chargeable"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back