LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looking at maybe getting Womans little Jimny sprayed..
It would not be a colour change and requires NO bodywork to be done.. So basically a rub down and respray back to the red it used to be before it aged down.

Any idea of a costing for a medium quality job ? Not looking for a show winner nor do I wanna spend days polishing back orange peel !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant advise on cost John, but polishing back is a waste of time .
I had an Astra estate in dark blue a few years ago which 'bloomed/oxidised' to a nice grey blue.
I had it machine polished which brought back most of the colour but not as it was in its youth.
A year or so later it was back to grey blue.

I assume womans car is red....red is a candidate for changing colour too.
Oops...just seen it is red.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Just had my bonnet on my mini cooper
done mates rate £260. 2 other quotes another £100 looks very nice worth doing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. and basically it has suffered as an awful lot of red cars do.. very faded colour
As a stepping stone I did cut it back and laid on some very proper polish..
It has lasted about a year but really wants sorting out properly

I would just sell it on but she will not hear of it.. And to be honest, fiscally it makes more sense to go with a paint job
It is on a 52 plate but has less than 20,000 miles on it.
To replace it with something that has such low mileage would be about £6 to £8K

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
John

Work on a cost of 150 to 200 a panel so might end up a bit cheaper having the complete car done
Depends if you have windows out etc

H T H Rich

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
about £2k. thats what the local places charge for a taxi, so no shuts and masked rather than strip down

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
about £2k. thats what the local places charge for a taxi, so no shuts and masked rather than strip down
Gosh, I'm out of date, I was going to suggest a few hundred! Of course a Jimny isn't very big so should be cheaper than a taxi. And I like jimnys, my wife has had two.

But I suspect you might find someone who can do it cheaper if you ask around. I resprayed my first car using a spray attachment on a vacuum cleaner. And yes, it looked like it afterwards but I liked it!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Paint isn't cheap these days and you have to lacquer as well nowadays

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Gosh, I'm out of date, I was going to suggest a few hundred! Of course a Jimny isn't very big so should be cheaper than a taxi. And I like jimnys, my wife has had two.

But I suspect you might find someone who can do it cheaper if you ask around. I resprayed my first car using a spray attachment on a vacuum cleaner. And yes, it looked like it afterwards but I liked it!
yes you can get it much cheaper, but John was on about a passable job with no runs or orange peel. a full strip down, prep, respray, reassemble is likely more expensive than the car is worth, a one day blow over is always going to look rubbish too. the middle ground is a few days labour especially preparation

as mentioned modern paint is not cheap

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No.. No strip down to do.. All that will need to be removed is the spare wheel, wipers, and bull bars which I will do ( even the lights are recessed and can simply be masked up )
Everything else is red as original.. That includes door handles and bumpers !
So masking up, rubbing down and then shoot the colour.
Paint not a problem as I get what ever I need at better than trade.. Lacquer the same..
So judging by comments and what has to be done I reckon £6-800 will cover it.
I know two sprayers reasonably well but did not wanna approach them until I had a feel for the going rate.. Then I can bid them in the bo%!ocks :)
If it is a go I will just leave the motor with them while we are away over winter

Thanks for the inputs guys.. appreciate it

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Paint cans out of halfords
or a paint supplier
They mix what you need and load it into
Rattle cans

1 can at a time
1 panel at a time may take a while
But done right keeps some wedge in your bank

I used to spray all my renovations till
It wasn't friendly to use cellulose

http://www.cjaerosols.com/product-category/car-spray-paint/

Bugger that !! I have a perfectly good 200 litre compressor and errrrr.. about 3 or 4 spray guns of different quality and types..
What I aint got any more is a booth to spray in !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hate 2 pack.. Dunno why but the finish always looks weird !
Nowadays I would only use water based paints.. Cellulose is ok and I can proly spray that in my sleep but god forbid you don;t give it a few weeks to go right off before filling up with petrol LOL !!

Nah.. I will get the paint supplied by my main man who does all my bike related stuff and then pass the lot on to one of the lads who do cars ..
There is one place here in Thetford that only does yank tank specials for shows.. He also did FOUR Mustang Bullet specials for a firm that did a sort of travelling show .. Now his average costs start at £5k a pop !! Beautiful work but not for me !

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Don't know if its a Northern thing or not but I'd want a double decker bus re spraying for a grand. How much are you prepared to pay John:whistle:

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I would imagine you could get it done for around £1500, it's not the spraying that costs it's the prep work, anyway why bother it won't do much to its value, clearly you are not into polishing twice a year, professional machine polishing would be around £400 but may not want to do that type of vehicle but you could but the gear and do it yourself for around £150, there are members on here that can advise you on what to do and what to put on it to help prevent further fading but even then it will always need looking after without a sprayed clear coat on it.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As said it is not a value thing at all BBM.. Woman adores her little car ( I personally cannot stand it.. Drinks petrol and my knees hit the dash ! )

She will almost certainly own it until no longer able to drive.. And its a Zuk ! Not exactly well known for luscious thick paint jobs ....
When I had it done last year the paint thickness was measured before the big scrub up.. It was JUST about ok for the one job.. Try and do it again and it will be down to primer in places :-( !!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I had my own body shop for 6 years ,you don't need a booth to respray a car but you do need a warm environment. A quality spray gun is important as is the prep . Check your needle set in the gun can take water based paint .

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Take it into 'Wheeler Dealers' that Ed China seems to sort things out for nought. By the way I have a 58 plate Jimny automatic, I love it and it does 34 to the gallon and no cam belt to worry about.(y)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I had my own body shop for 6 years ,you don't need a booth to respray a car but you do need a warm environment. A quality spray gun is important as is the prep . Check your needle set in the gun can take water based paint .

Yes. And more importantly a good supply of fresh air.

I once resprayed my beetle. Prepped for ages, masked everything up, put it in the garage and closed the doors. Started spraying. Jesus did I get high - it felt like I was on LSD!!!

A few years back a pal and I painted a car with rollers and some wet n dry. Whilst it wasn't showroom quality for under 50 quid that is what I'd be considering for a car that size. Your missus could help too sounds like she might enjoy it :)

If it all goes Pete Tong then take it to the bodyshop.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Yup.. Back in the 70's I was doing several resprays a year.. The custom car movement was massive and all the folk around here who were 'in' to the scene helped each other out ..
I was always roped in to wiring, electrical and spraying jobs
Paint was so cheap my own motor often had a different paint job from one month to the next..

Just brought back memories of 'prep parties' !!
A few crates of beer, large piles of sandwiches.. and about 10 or more folk all rubbing down ! A motor would be rubbed down in a couple of hours !!
Anyone who made a bad job always ended up 'wearing' buckets of rubbing down water ! Happy days :)

But by the end of the 70's this area had more factories than houses almost..
The air quality is bloody awful and there is a constant downfall of all sort of detritus that covers everything in crap.
Really need to spray inside nowadays

Some of my guns are pretty old and set up for cellulose, but the newest one ( DeVilbiss FLG-5 ) is all set for water based stuff.... It was given to me when I helped out on a big job at a factory .. It was a charity thing.. never got paid but fed, watered, and allowed to keep all the protective gear and the gun ( there was a few of us on the project )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes. And more importantly a good supply of fresh air.

I once resprayed my beetle. Prepped for ages, masked everything up, put it in the garage and closed the doors. Started spraying. Jesus did I get high - it felt like I was on LSD!!!

A few years back a pal and I painted a car with rollers and some wet n dry. Whilst it wasn't showroom quality for under 50 quid that is what I'd be considering for a car that size. Your missus could help too sounds like she might enjoy it :)

If it all goes Pete Tong then take it to the bodyshop.

She used to enjoy that sort of thing but nowadays .. No chance !!
We got together because she was my chief mechanic back when I was racing, so knows her way round a tool box and yes, she can spray pretty good too !!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I would imagine you could get it done for around £1500, it's not the spraying that costs it's the prep work, anyway why bother it won't do much to its value, clearly you are not into polishing twice a year, professional machine polishing would be around £400 but may not want to do that type of vehicle but you could but the gear and do it yourself for around £150, there are members on here that can advise you on what to do and what to put on it to help prevent further fading but even then it will always need looking after without a sprayed clear coat on it.

£60 for a machine polish at my local (english) car wash,,,BUSBY

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
£60 for a machine polish at my local (english) car wash,,,BUSBY
Yerrr.. but I bet it is a rotary one.. Needs to be an oscillating one really otherwise it is real easy to mess the whole thing up !

I have a rotary that I used to use on bright work and have ( had ? I was looking for t the other day and canna find the thing ) an oscillating air powered jobby for paint

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forget the Jimny, get her to have a run in a Smart For Two ... cheap and brilliant to drive. (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would just get a few flower transfers on it, it will look like a new car...... Peace man.......(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I once sprayed a 2000E ford corsair in Hammerite Black.... now that was a car
Hubby had a lovely Ford Corsair 2000E when we were courting ... I felt like Lady Muck riding around in it! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back