Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Word would have it that lots of people decide to buy a motorhome in their elderly years, many plan this when they retire, after all those long days working you have a nice wedge of Wonga sitting in your account doing nothing, perhaps you have been a tugger for many years and promised yourself an upgrade on retirement.
I was one of those planning this route, having sown the seed with Michelle, my wife, it seemed more sense to buy the MH earlier, get out more live the dream whilst I had an income should things need doing or I want a better van, the upside being when retirement does eventually fall I will have a nice van and plenty of experience on the road and of coarse have exactly the right van I need.
So my question is really to those that waited for retirement before taking the plunge.....Did you have any regrets about not buying your motorhome earlier in life, or to you others...when you got to retirement age did you have your perfect van?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I know your question is mainly aimed at those who have retired but I thought I'd give my two pennyworth anyway.

I decided not to wait until retirement - mainly because you never know what's around the corner. My mum never made it to retirement (and neither did Mr SBs dad) and I think that's what really prompted me to go for it earlier than what was probably financially more sensible. I extended my mortgage to purchase the van, but it will still be paid off long before I retire (assuming I get there!). And although we have to go without some luxuries in life, the trips that we have away in the van now more than make up for that. Regrets on buying early? No.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We've bought ours now even though we don't retire for another 6 years basically because we could afford it now so why wait?

Two colleagues at work not much older than me have succumbed to cancer this year and are never to reach retirement.

Life is too short and you need to live for today as tomorrow might never come

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We bought our first van when I was 42 and have had 10 years of brilliant motorhoming, really glad we didn't wait. The kids (now flown the nest) had summer and winter holidays we could not even have contemplated without the van.

Just swapped (and retired) the previous experience has enabled us to just "go for it" now without the usual (newby) concerns.

My advice would be not to wait. The week after I retired one of my closest friends was killed on the M1 (2 days after he had been sat in our van telling us his plans to follow us into Europe next year)

Don't wait

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We decided not to wait for retirement, and it was the right decision. We bought our first van 5 years ago, and have had 5 years of enjoyment, making memories while we're still fit enough to make the most of things.
Our intention was to keep the original van throughout our retirement, but my OH is about to take retirement at the end of the year (I opted out of the rat race few years ago), and we've just bought a new van.
There's another thread going on at the moment about putting money into perspective, and equating expenditure to the number of weeks it would buy in a care home. I thought it was a very good way of looking at things.
A lot of this goes against the grain for me. I'm a 'saver' rather than a 'spender,' but it's something I'm working hard to overcome.
So, I'd say 'Go for it, now!'

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We decided back in the late 1970's , when we were in our 30's, after enduring an unpleasant stomach illness for about 15years, we borrowed an old VW splitty camper & then hiring a moho, that was the way to go. But no money etc !!! tried to build our own ( no to bad considering that I am absolutely useless at any sort of DIY check it out in my vans in the showcase) , then replaced it some years later again & again , now on our 10th moho, still plodding along enjoying many trips on a budget. ( still got stomach prob but the moho & toilet solves many issues)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We were boaty types before starting on RVs 11 years ago, now wish we had both at the time (greedy) as motorhomes give the freedom to travel almost anywhere.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were with you others in this. Our number one plan was to buy ourselves a MoHo on retirement and disappear into the sunset.
What we actually did was buy it three years earlier and been having a brilliant time since, happy days (y):D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being as I was self employed I had a bit of freedom, but.. Bought our first van about 8 years before retirement
Boy am I glad I did .. All those stolen weekends ( often pushed to a bit longer ) would have been missed if we had waited

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with what most folks have said. We bought our first van this year which is 2 or 3 years before I plan to retire. This gives us time to start with shorter trips and possibly change the van (not currently planned) before I retire and money becomes more of a concern. We have been away almost every weekend since we collected it and already done a couple of week long trips to France. Started planning next years adventures including a longer 3 week holiday. Not regretted it so far

Allan

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
We decided not to wait for retirement, and it was the right decision. We bought our first van 5 years ago, and have had 5 years of enjoyment, making memories while we're still fit enough to make the most of things.
Our intention was to keep the original van throughout our retirement, but my OH is about to take retirement at the end of the year (I opted out of the rat race few years ago), and we've just bought a new van.
There's another thread going on at the moment about putting money into perspective, and equating expenditure to the number of weeks it would buy in a care home. I thought it was a very good way of looking at things.
A lot of this goes against the grain for me. I'm a 'saver' rather than a 'spender,' but it's something I'm working hard to overcome.
So, I'd say 'Go for it, now!'
I am a spender the wife is a saver but she holds the purse strings so if I want something I have to go all doe eyed and beg, failing that subtle hints work, just takes time that's all! ;) With my van the words were "if you have the van you can't have a new car for a few years", that's fine I said, little does she know the subtle hints are coming thick and fast :sneaky: and how many years is "a few!" (y)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I'll always remember the words of my late neighbour. She said "When I was young I didn't have the money to do the things I wanted. Now I'm old I have the money but no longer have the good health."

So, if you have a dream, follow it NOW. If it's something you really want, then you will find a way.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I think that it's a question that becomes more poinant after you hit 50 ,you look around and there are friends who have not made it to even 50, people that you know develope illnesses that are debilitating and it raises the question ," is it me next "?

I came to the decision to buy a motorhome and quit the rat race before I reach a pensionable age ,I was fortunate to meet someone who felt the same ,so the target is 2017 ,to have gone on the road in a semi full time set up ,if I need money I'll go and do some contracting

How many people do you know that have waited and waited until retirement only for life to be cut short

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Rob & val are correct . I admire those youngsters who go off travelling for a year or so ( probably bank of mum and dad ) .
However they are young fit and see little danger. Start a career when they get back . I left school the day before my 15th birthday worked married worked had kids worked even more , now at last it's our time ! Yes we have adventures, back , knees and old age permitting.
Regards June & dave dotsontour

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Bought our first motorhome this year (I have at least 25 years to go to retirement!). We aren't regretting the move at all. Spent 10 days in France and at least every other weekend away since then.

Acutally considering selling our villa in Florida now as enjoying the motorhome so much we won't be going over there twice a year anymore.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Bought our first caravan in 1983 when I was 40 and have been caravanning/motorhoming ever since - now 72! :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Like some previous posters we bought our first van while still working but under unusual circumstances.

Mrs Maison had always fancied a M/H but I preferred our caravan. Then, when driving along the M4 on our way to Dover and France, our caravan was hit from behind by a coach who misjudged his lane change. We spun around twice, hitting the central reservation barrier, and came to rest facing the wrong way across the middle and overtaking lane. The car and van were badly damaged.

Caravan Club Red pennant insurance came to the rescue and recovered our wrecked outfit to our home. Next day we were offered the choice of a replacement hire car and caravan, a Motorhome hire, or money towards hotel stays, in order to continue our hols.

"Right. I thought. Here is the perfect opportunity to show Mrs Maison that Motorhomes are not for us".

Result. - after three weeks touring France in the M/H I was converted and we replaced the car and caravan with own M/H. Since then we have never looked back, (except through the door mirrors at the receding country side).:rolleyes:(y)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I am a spender the wife is a saver but she holds the purse strings so if I want something I have to go all doe eyed and beg, failing that subtle hints work, just takes time that's all! ;) With my van the words were "if you have the van you can't have a new car for a few years", that's fine I said, little does she know the subtle hints are coming thick and fast :sneaky: and how many years is "a few!" (y)

Ha, Ha. You might kid yourself that she doesn't know, but I bet she does. It's just a matter of whether she lets on and of how important it is to her.
signed
'One Who Knows' :sneaky:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We haven't waited until we retire - too many things to do and see before we die and there won't be time or energy to do them all once retired.

Also, too many friends and family didn't get to retirement - IMHO, no point in delaying having fun with a MH.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We caravanned and camped when the children were young. We have spent the last 15 years touring by motorbike in Europe, the USA, India and Thailand before taking early/semi retirement. Last year we took a 2 month trip down to Sicily in our 2CV van. We've now bought a motorhome as camping is becoming a bit of a chore and hotels are expensive on a long tour. Our MH is great and a lot more comfortable than camping, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on our motorcycle travels and I hope we will still do some shorter trips by bike.
Just reread that and to make it clear we have done several trips by bike over the last 15 years, not been travelling non-stop for 15 years.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Bought our 1st van last June after convincing Nige life is too short, now on second as first year was enough to convince us we like it. I describe us as retired, we are 43 so technically it's a sabbatical, career break mid life crisis? But as others have said live for the present not a future with no guarantees :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We bought our van only last year in the hope it would encourage me to retire. 58 now.... Problem is for me is I just cant seem too let go.................. Mad I hear you say but I have to have a purpose in life and well I suppose I like work. Not as much as I did but Im really struggling to make the last step.
I lost a really close mate 3 years ago so of course I see there is a vulnerability as we get a bit older. I take time off when required to help my wife as she is not well but Im really struggling. I get bored in half a day. I actually feel sort of guilty if I take a week off !

I sometimes give myself a right good talking too but always go back on the promises I make to myself.

There is No doubt I will take more time off as I really enjoy it when we go away. Not sure if I can ever retire full time though.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would say if you have got the money for it GO FOR IT! We bought ours a year before I was 60 and retired early at 60 best thing I ever did I really enjoyed my job and thought I would miss it now I wonder how I found the time to work 3 years in and travelling to lots of nice places,off to France,Spain & Portugal for Five months starting mid December.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think time and health are more important than masses of money and a flash motorhome, especially if you are handy or mechanical you can buy cheaper and sort. You can also spend as much or as little as you want whilst you do it. It is your little palace. You can wild and live cheap if you have to.

We had to wait till retirement (early) we just didnt have any time till we finished working in our own business. To be honest when our kids needed jobs we gave them ours and stayed at home. Its not without its problems but we do have the time and when we hit the road it is just the best feeling ever.

I bought a little hanger thingy for the kitchen area that says " lets find ourselves a beautiful place to get lost" it sums our escapes up!

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We have been tuggers for 10 years .but last year cancer .Reed er its head .plus a new caravan we had .had 21 faults with it. Had put right by dealer. So l thought make life easy. Bought MH .cancer op done. Been a way alot.this year.my brother 10 years younger than me died with cancer .lastyear . get on with life .You only get one:)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Long story short,
After years of tenting we had plans to retire early buy a MH and drive around Europe.
Kay became ill, we bought a MH and then had less than a year before she died.
I returned to work and I am still working at 68, need someone to push me to sell up and do it alone, but ALONE :cry:
Know I should do it BUT (n)
See my signature.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My mum could have waited til she died for me to gain and buy a MH but she finally listened to "Buy it now" so we both can enjoy it and I can have precious memories. Her only regret is she never listened to me earlier :)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
our plan was to retire 5 years ago, but with kids and family things, had to keep working,bought a m/h but had to sell it,
was not getting much use due to work.
bought the rv and now will retire next year and make more use of it.
dont work as much now so weekends we are away.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have said it before, I have had motorhomes in my blood all my life. not counting camping in the back of a work van, my first motorhome i bought at about 20 and have owned literally dozens since then, every thing from old classics through vans i converted myself up to brand new 6 berth coachbuilts. I get bored with most vans quickly so buy them do them up, use them and sell at a profit.
Ive been early retired twice now and like others have seen close friends and loved ones pass away long before achieving their dreams. regrets are for cowards who didnt have the balls to try things and those trapped by life circumstances. as i told my daughter, make your own way in life and live for today, happiness is not always easy, but its worth fighting for

rich or poor, old or young. it doesnt matter motorhoming is a lifestyle choice available to most if you want or dream it enough

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back