LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Having trawled through most of the threads on this site about setting up and using your MH, it has only occurred to me having read the thread about the hybrid Motorhomers.
I have read about hoses - long ones, short ones, flat ones, garden ones and food grade ones, and I also get the watering can or jerry can filler uppers. But as I will mainly use the New Forest sites, which those who use them will know, are very very uneven and a rough ride. I can fill up water via food grade hose when we arrive, but I think it will be a right pain to pack up, stow the gear and dogs lash everything down to run the gauntlet of the forest site ground - and possibly loose my space just to fill up again. An aqua roll or Water hog as I have for the folding camper, would prevent the 20 trips with a watering can as it holds 60 litres, but the question is; How do you transfer the water from an aqua roll to the holding tank if motorhomes do not use external pumps like caravaners or folding campers do?

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Get a submersible pump to drop in the aquaroll then I connect croc clips directly to the hab battery. Some posh funsters install an outside 12v connector socket but I only use it very rarely so croc clips work for me. I also fitted an in line switch to turn the pump on once I've got the pipe in the fill tank which saves you getting soaked.

Upvote 0

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
would prevent the 20 trips with a watering can as it holds 60 litres,

?? So you only have a 3 Litre Watering Can ? Take a 10 litre Watering can, and each morning, take the dog for a stroll, or visit the Facilities, and on your way back, go via the Tap. Chat to the others collecting water, smile. It's not a chore, you don't need to keep the tank chock full, just fill one can each day, or two if you like a lot of water in your Whiskey It's easy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Deleted User
?? So you only have a 3 Litre Watering Can ? Take a 10 litre Watering can, and each morning, take the dog for a stroll, or visit the Facilities, and on your way back, go via the Tap. Chat to the others collecting water, smile. It's not a chore, you don't need to keep the tank chock full, just fill one can each day, or two if you like a lot of water in your Whiskey It's easy.

That's what we do, we also take a collapsible plastic 10l carrier, it balances out the watering can and you get 20l (for your whisky)

A win win as they say :)

Reactions: GWG
Upvote 0

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
That's what we do, we also take a collapsible plastic 10l carrier, it balances out the watering can and you get 20l (for your whisky)

Exactly as we do Although I'm a cider man actually. Couldn't actually be heathen enough to put water in whiskey, although would admit to Dry Ginger.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988

Crikey, you must sup a lot of whisky:beerchug:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
5 litre watering can as the holding tank is 100 litres 60 litres is the aqua roll. Only two trips;) Sill no chore.(y)

Another lesson learned. Every day is a school day on this site and sooo many questions still to come.:rolleyes: Only 5 weeks to go till delivery of my unit:clap:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
but the question is; How do you transfer the water from an aqua roll to the holding tank if motorhomes do not use external pumps like caravaners or folding campers do?

when you get back to MH you tip 10l at a time from your aqua roll into your watering can......................... :)

or just take watering can a few times directly to tap, also don't leave it till empty next time and arrive full or at least fill when arriving, then 2 x watering cans a day should do most people, otherwise the rest of your day will be spent emptying toilet and grey water (y)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Fine if you've got the space for an aqua roll, we haven't.

But on another note:
possibly loose my space just to fill up again
you need a sign to leave on your pitch to say it's taken, you never know when you might want/ need to vacate temporarily. We have a spare number-plate, clubs sell twee motorhome-shaped signs on pegs, some people leave kit on the pitch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We have a spare number-plate, clubs sell twee motorhome-shaped signs on pegs, some people leave kit on the pitch.

Got to see these :LOL: Something else I need to get. Soon won't have room for the aqua roll.:D

Upvote 0

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I ran a 12v supply lead to the rear locker adjacent the water fill point and connected a socket. I just open the locker door and connect the relevant connector fitted to supply of a submersible pump which is dropped in the aqua roll, this then fills the inboard tank. When roll is empty just disconnect and refil or job done , lock locker door. (y)

Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
We often travel with just one gas bottle and a roll water tank in the gas locker if we know we'll be stopping at sites with EHU.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
As an add on to my first post, when you are on a serviced pitch, do you leave hose connected to MH and switched on?

I.E. does a MH have a float v/v to shut water off? Really should just wait and find out on delivery day!!

Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I do on the caravan using an aquaroll float valve but never met a motorhome with a shut off valve to stop overfilling

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
So. Hose from tap to Aqua roll with float v/v permanently on. 12v pump from Aqua roll to filler point on mh. 12v supply switched inside never having to fill up again. Job done. Now, just need to find a way of emptying the grey water without it going all over the pitch - yes, read those threads too.

Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
A length of tubing long enough to go round to opposite side of the van from your waste outlet - sorted - no need to move the van.

Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
A length of tubing long enough to go round to opposite side of the van from your waste outlet - sorted - no need to move the van.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Would agree that unless you have bags of room and a huge family then an aquaroll does seem a bit excessive. Fill up on arrival then just top up daily with what ever method you prefer. For me it is a plastic petrol can as I find the flexi nature of the spout ideal.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Aquaroll and a 12v submersible pump which I just plug into the ciggy socket in the cab..

As an add on to my first post, when you are on a serviced pitch, do you leave hose connected to MH and switched on?

I.E. does a MH have a float v/v to shut water off? Really should just wait and find out on delivery day!!

The only van I've had that you could connect the mains water to was my RV .. it had a 'city' water connection point directly into the cold system.. not to the tank..

Never seen a float valve on a fresh water tank .. no reason it couldn't be fitted though..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Thanks to you all. Water sorted. Fill up on arrival, top up daily with watering can / 10l jerry can, don't empty tanks first, inform wife of this and limit time in shower, waste through pipe into bush??? possibly, or save until leaving. Drink wine and beer to save on water and if have enough, drink whiskey.
Water / Alarm / Gas sorted. Next up Solar and second battery. Yes, and what will i need / No.
Thanks again to you all. So much to know, so little time before the first outing.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So much to know, so little time before the first outing.
Don't worry.
Before our first outing (which was 3 months +) we didn't even know that we didn't know, and we survived. More than that, we had a fantastic time. If you have a problem, there's always somebody to help, either here or where you're parked up. We found site wardens knowledgeable and helpful, and there's always another happy camper willing to answer questions, look at something with/ for you, or lend a hand. And of course FUNSTERS' expertise and light-hearted take on everything are always here (if you have internet connection of course...)
So, as I say - don't worry - don't try to learn everything - just go out & have LOADSA FUN! (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
fire a wrens friend over to the water point with a hose attached, and conduct a ROS evolution....replenishment on site:D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It depends on how much water you use.

We have a 120 litre tank and with 3 of us and 2 dogs will empty in in 2-3 days. We use the water for everything including drinking and I really don't see why we should limit the time we use the shower for. Never ever use site "facilities" either. We've got everything on board so why would we want use someone else's shower or toilet

There's no way on earth I'm ever going to be faffing around back and forwards with a watering can, I don't see anything enjoyable about being back and forwards every day like that.

We've got an aquaroll and a 12v pump. 2-3 trips fills it from empty with no heavy lifting or carrying involved. While the pump is doing all the work I can have a beer and laugh at the people doing the watering can marathon.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I fill up before I leave home depending on length of journey or on site before parking up. I use a 5 litre bottle to fill up every now and again or my flexihose if close enough to a tap. No matter what you decide it will be wrong in another's eyes. Collect the data given and make your choice. It won't be wrong, it will be what you have decided to do. You will always get some twat laughing at you because they "know" better and if it is not how they do it then you are a muppet. Ignore them and crack on with your enjoyment. Good luck (y)

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
It depends on how much water you use.

We have a 120 litre tank and with 3 of us and 2 dogs will empty in in 2-3 days. We use the water for everything including drinking.

We've got an aquaroll and a 12v pump. 2-3 trips fills it from empty with no heavy lifting or carrying involved. While the pump is doing all the work I can have a beer .

(y) Better (y)

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've got a 350 ltr fresh water tank which my wife gets through in three days normally lol. I carry a 25 ltr can and I have a submersible pump and a external socket.

I also have a selection of flat hoses and a spiral one that I can use on a garage forecourt for example.

We also have a Nature Pure water filter for fresh water

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We seem to be lucky with this, the water filler has a 12volt connector and water pipe so for the hose I just connect the hose up and turn the tap on and on site use a submersible pump that plugs in to the 12volt and water connection at the same time (y)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back