Help, I've deleted my waste bin! (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, I was fiddling and talking at the same time and managed to delete my waste bin, can anybody please tell me how I can reinstate it on my new PC???

Ginny

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In XP you do this

1. Right-click an empty area of your desktop
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Desktop tab
4. Click the Customize button
5. Click Restore Default
6. Exit all windows and restart your computer

No idea for Vista, never touched it with a barge pole:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
First off check that you dont have a restore point on your computer, you will find this under programmes - accesssories etc it will restore youre computer to an ealier date when everyting was ok.

Second and if you cant do that, its long winded but do a destructive restore, this will delete everything from your hard drive and then retrieve and reinstall it all back again. You will then have to reload any software that you have added like microsoft office etc.

If you dont fancy taking the chance take it to PC World but thats all that they will do.

Cheers

Jim

Edit: Didnt see Jims post above
:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
First off check that you dont have a restore point on your computer, you will find this under programmes - accesssories etc it will restore youre computer to an ealier date when everyting was ok.

Second and if you cant do that, its long winded but do a destructive restore, this will delete everything from your hard drive and then retrieve and reinstall it all back again. You will then have to reload any software that you have added like microsoft office etc.

If you dont fancy taking the chance take it to PC World but thats all that they will do.

Cheers

Jim

Edit: Didnt see Jims post above
:Smile:

Bl**dy hell Jim, talk about using sledgehammer to crack a nut. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ok guy's :whatthe:. Give us a break. :Sad: Ive done it a couple of times. Its not that big a deal.

There should be a restore point though which is relativley simple. Just tried Jims method but this machine is controlled by an administrator and I cant alter it. Going to have a go at home tonight. Disaster awaits the inquisive mind. :Eeek:

Cheers
Jim
:winky:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
[ Give us a break. :Sad: Ive done it a couple of times. Its not that big a deal.

There should be a restore point though which is relativley simple. Just tried Jims method but this machine is controlled by an administrator and I cant alter it. Going to have a go at home tonight. Disaster awaits the inquisive mind. :Eeek:

Cheers
Jim
:winky:[/quote]

click here let microsoft fix it ::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
This may be too easy but why not just create a new one?

Rgds
Bill

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
TRy deleting any other forum you are on and see if it send it to the waste bin where it belongs, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

never know it might create an new one

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
TRy deleting any other forum you are on and see if it send it to the waste bin where it belongs
Thats rich coming from an active member of other motorhome forii - or are you only there for the free advertising?

S

S&J

Deleted User
Recycle the recycle bin in Vista

Simply right click on the desktop, from the menu that appears, choose personalise and in the window that appears choose "Change desktop Icons" You should see a check box next to recycling bin that you tick and it should return to the desktop.

There are other options to choose there too - you can show Computer which allows you to access the hard drives etc on your PC and User Folders which gives a shortcut to your personal files...

You shouldn't need to do the restore routines that others have suggested....

Best wishes
Steve

mikamada

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Funster No
Always Google.... Amazing What you find

Just google "restore waste bin" or "restore recycle bin" and the first entry is from Microsoft
"How do I make the Recycle Bin appear on my desktop in Windows ..."
or go direct to How do I make the Recycle Bin appear on my desktop in Windows Vista or in Windows XP?

You are not the only person to do it :)

In the Microsoft page you will see that there is a tool you can download which will repair it for you. Alternately you can restore it manually. The method S&J describes only works in Vista and in XP you have to go into RegEdit which should only be considered if you are reasonably competent in Windows configuration. If you do use RegEdit make sure that you back up your Windows registry before you play there as you can destroy your system.

Having done that I would recommend you go and buy a program like Acronis True Image and take an image of your system. Store that on a USB hard drive that you will not lose and then whenever disasters that you cannot fix, or are too complex to fix occur, you can go back to a nice safe time. All of this for the sake of £15 plus the cost of the USB drive.

Using Windows Restore is an incomplete solution. Firstly there must be a valid restore point on stored on the system and secondly it does not retain details of all changes that have been made to your system.

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Recycle bin lost - Vista or Windows 7

In VISTA or Windows 7 (if you are adventurous), right click on your empty Desktop (the picture area), and click "Personalize". On the left hand side of the resulting window should be an option "Change Desktop Icons". Check the box of "Recycle Bin" (and anything else you would like on your Desktop) and "Bob's your uncle" as they say.
Steve

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Simply right click on the desktop, from the menu that appears, choose personalise and in the window that appears choose "Change desktop Icons" You should see a check box next to recycling bin that you tick and it should return to the desktop.

There are other options to choose there too - you can show Computer which allows you to access the hard drives etc on your PC and User Folders which gives a shortcut to your personal files...

You shouldn't need to do the restore routines that others have suggested....

Best wishes
Steve
my ie7 does not have change desktop items, or personalise so you could be confusing some people. in this case restore would do it, it is not traumatic to do.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi I have just had a look and I have two so let me know and I will send you my extra one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
yours Brian and Marion

Well i've got three and i have never emptied them.

leave that up to the council :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Restoring your Recycle Bin - the quick way

I have no wish to confuse anyone, when I said Windows 7, I was not referrring to IE7, I was talking about the new operating system Microsoft has released to enthusiasts as an Operating System to replace Vista, and not the web browser Internet Explorer.

Care of Tech Support Guy, this is the correct (and very simple) way of restoring the Recycle Bin in Vista and Windows 7 (which we are all capable of removing by selecting the wrong choice when emptying the Recycle Bin):

"Hi, I deleted my Recycle Bin by mistake also, and and after a Google search led me here, and i had read a similar fix as yours James, although that is a correct registry edit, it doesnt apply, as to how to get the icon back to the desktop. If you check the registry you will see that the registry key is still there. which was the case when i deleted my Bin by mistake

Here is the correct way to go by it. And mind you this is for Vista, right click on the desktop then click personalize, once there look to the left pane near the top and click Change Desktop Icons, this is where you choose which icons you want to appear on your desktop, close/OK out and you're all done."

Steve

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
steveclecy

The solution you have given has already been posted on page 1

Regards

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Don't wish to sound pedantic, but the solution offered on Page 1 was clearly for XP, after that was offered, the OP repeated the request for Vista.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Don't wish to sound pedantic, but the solution offered on Page 1 was clearly for XP, after that was offered, the OP repeated the request for Vista.

The OP didn't say which OS he was running and didn't ask for a vista solution maybe i'm reading Teasy2007 posts wrong?

Perhap's you are getting mixed up with madbluemad's post to which i gave a simple solution to the problem which covered xp and vista solutions see #10 (Link Removed

regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back