Condensation inside of the cab windows. Would this cure it? (1 Viewer)

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thoughts please. The one thing I wish motorhome manufactures would do, is to connect the habitation heating system to the cab vents. Our motorhome, like the majority, has blow air heating, with ducting, and outlets throughout the vehicle. I've thought about connecting a piece of tubing from the habitation heating vent outlet, behind the passenger seat, to the cab heater vent by the passenger foot-well. My theory is, the heat from the habitation area would then circulate through the cab vents, and therefore reduce the condensation on the cab windows. The only problem is the outlet vent I would need to use is the one that heats the dog's bed, and I may have a disgruntled dog. That aside, has anyone connected the two heating systems together, with the cab vents connected to the habitation vents, and if so, does it work?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Hymer has heating vents along the top of the dash between the blinds and screens that are fed from the blow air heating.
I thought all A Class vans had it obviously not in your case.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
yep, I agree, thermal exterior screens are the way to go. But remember that you will also need adequete ventilation or the moisture will just find somewhere else to go.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Have you seen @The DATeam s van? It'll cost him :eek: (still vote for the external tho' (y) )

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see why it shouldn't work, useful in the shoulder seasons, on our last trip didn't take the external screens with us as we were going to Greece. On the way back we had one night at 3 deg, heating used evening & morning hardly any condensation on the screen.

OP
OP
The DATeam

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Did not want to go down the exterior screen cover route, if possible. I see so many motorhomers pitch up, and then out with the exterior screen cover, blocking any view from the cab. We like to sit with our cup of tea and watch the world outside (and, perhaps wondering why others want to sit in such a dark motorhome). Thought about the Hymer route, but their range did not tick all the boxes, plus having had a Hymer caravan which had a lot of niggling problems did not want to repeat that experience. For the odd times we do get condensation it looks as though it will be the micro fiber cloth still, and as I said in my introduction "wallet is still firmly closed on the extras/options front".

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Yesterday we had a beautiful day and it chilled down at night. Now normally I would have the exterior screens on and no condensation but I just put the cab inner screens round. This morning Windows covered in condensation. Dryed it all out now as its a great day again but exterior screens going on later. Never get condensation with outer screens on. And in the day can just let the middle section down to let light in and see out.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I have just bought a supply of the little tubs that suck up the moisture to leave on the dash between the inner blinds and the window. £1 each from tesco, and I will see how it goes.
£300 for external screens - thats a lot of these little boxes if they work!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have just bought a supply of the little tubs that suck up the moisture to leave on the dash between the inner blinds and the window. £1 each from tesco, and I will see how it goes.
£300 for external screens - thats a lot of these little boxes if they work!

the thing is.. the £300 screen works..

the £1 boxes are money down the drain..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've not linked the blown air ducting systems up,but have a electrical link...ie I can choose to have the cab heater blower on when the heating is running in the back..
In my case that can be hot air as well as I've plumbed the diesel her into the engine...
Most probably not in your case but you could leave your cab control in the recirculating position and have an air flow over your windscreen...If you could wire the vehicle blower fan to switch on when the habitation heating was running..
Hope you can understand what I'm on about..
Ta Andy
P's a downside may be a high current when the vehicle fan is ringing. ..4 to 5 amps..

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
the thing is.. the £300 screen works..

the £1 boxes are money down the drain..
Maybe, but for a quid I will try them.
I don't like external screens - we had them for the last MH. They just make everything seem enclosed. A little letterbox of light is not enough. I would be taking them on and off each day.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Did not want to go down the exterior screen cover route, if possible. I see so many motorhomers pitch up, and then out with the exterior screen cover, blocking any view from the cab. We like to sit with our cup of tea and watch the world outside (and, perhaps wondering why others want to sit in such a dark motorhome).
Likewise, we have never understood the screen thing. Why sit in the dark. We don't have a problem with condensation in our MH. Perhaps it is something to do with the layout ('u' shaped lounge).

KH

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I read a lot about people putting salt, cat litter, magic little boxes around there MHs to soak up the moisture. When we mop up the water on the windscreen and side windows we can remove about a half a pint. There is no way salt, etc is going to soak all that up. I'll stick with exterior screens.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Like you we don't want to spoil the view by using exterior screen covers
If you only get condensation first thing in the morning, then a Karcher window vac will remove condensation instantly

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Another vote for external screens. Van is very bright inside anyway but if we want we can pull the center screen pice Dow. As someone above said.... invaluable in hot climates

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our silver screen has a fold down front with privacy panel just peel down the top in daytime you can then see the view.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry, have to ask but what is it about the 'Hymer' that means you do not get any condensation in the windscreen?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hymer tinted glasses.

I bought a Karcher and after using a silver screen for the front screen I lent it to a Hymer owner for his side windows as ours are double glazed and didn't need it.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back