CheckMates... the Scottish Rag Dolls... A sad story (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In 2002 I bought Charlotte two hand made Scottish dolls dressed in Harris Tweed .. called CheckMates

They were made by a lady in Poolewe, Scotland.. a Mary Buchanan

I decided to buy another two for my granddaughter Olivia, and searched on-line for the site where I had found them.. to no avail..
I tried emailing the lady, no reply, more searching and I found a profile for here on Etsy .. so I tried to contact her via this site .. but no reply..

I then looked on Google maps to find where her studio was.. it is called Cadadh, Bridge Cottage, Poolewe. IV22 2 JU , I found it on Street View , but no longer a house but a Cafe'

Bridge Cottage St.View

Puzzled, I searched for the cafe' on Google and found a FaceBook Page..
FaceBook

So.. I sent a message to the owner asking if they knew Mary or her whereabouts..

I had reply very quickly.. Mary had passed on a few years ago.. but her husband was living in the cottage next door..:cry:

How sad I felt holding the two dolls that Mary had lovingly made..

One day we hope visit Poolewe and perhaps see her husband ..

The dolls, with Harris Tweed and Tartan clothes, wool hair and leather boots .. and they have survived rather well.. considering they were played with and not on display ...

heirlooms now.. hopefully Charlotte can give to her little girl :)
Dolls.jpg

DSCF2399.JPG

Looks like a nice place for a few days holiday.. with a C&CC site right on front bt the beach..
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
beautiful dolls, but such a shame the lady died, comes to us all in the end..

just had a wander around on your street view, what a lovely village, very scenic, down to the water too, shall bookmark the place for if i ever get up that way again, thank you.. :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Looks like a nice place for a few days holiday.. with a C&CC site right on front bt the beach..

Fabulous place, Jim.
First up there in July 1989 tugging a caravan and stayed just up the road on Gruinard Bay which overlooks the island they used for anthrax testing!
There are a number of parking areas next to the road you can wild camp on and there's a camping ground in Mellon Udrigale that overlooks a fabulous wee beach (Google Map it). Never stayed there but think it's an honesty box type arrangement.
Beware of midge season though! Loch fishing for an hour in humid showery conditions and I thought it was "steam" coming off the waterside vegetation. Eh no!!!!! Had to give up after the hour to count the bites. Lost count at over 100.
There was a wee roadside pub within walking distance and it was the first time I heard the saying. When do you close, asks I (remembering that back then it was 21.30 \ 22.00 and no Sunday opening!) for the response to by och aboot October.
Inverewe Gardens are just up the road as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Stayed at the C&CC site a few years ago and witnessed what was probably our finest sunset, the whole site was silent and spellbound. Nice area and fine site.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The C&CC site gets full so advance booking may be in order. We turned up there in May 2013 in rainy weather and could not get in. Eventually we spent three nights 'wild camping' in the village and had a great time - despite the rain. I asked at the shop if it would be OK and was told it would be fine at that time of year. Not recommended in high summer though when the village gets very busy.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Update..

this week we decided to 'try our hand' at making our own rag dolls ..

this is our first effort.. and quite pleased.. a few mistakes .. but not bad.. stands about 20 in high

all made from scraps of material and wool from the sewing box..

it was a joint effort.. excuse the pun..

she has no name .. suggestions please.
DSCF2449.JPG
DSCF2450.JPG

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The cafe in poolewe is really good. Have stopped there for coffee and cake a few times when on motorcycle trips. We are going up that way in the motorhome in spring and will probably call in.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
:xThumb:Pretty good

Have you tried plaiting her hair with a wee ribbon on the end?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our elder son's family are into Goth stuff (always do Whitby) so Jill made them each a doll for Christmas 3 years ago.
One male, two female and an owl (because our grandson was too old for dolls but always liked owls).

Attachments

• Goth1.jpg
    Goth1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Goth2.jpg
    Goth2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Goth3.jpg
    Goth3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Goth4.jpg
    Goth4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 43

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@scotjimland what did you decide to call the first doll you made?
Love the new pair you have made.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks @big map was going to be Mary.. but changed.. she is now Mary's mum .. lol

@GJH yes.. I think we paid about £30 each for the Checkmates.. which was very reasonable..

If I were 'up to speed' probably take about four hours.. even paying yourself minimum wages noone would buy them..

It's like wood turning .. no one will pay for the time it takes to make a nice bowl..

.. it's a hobby ..I just love being creative

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder how difficult it would be to find out what Mary's mother was called? Interesting project for someone with the tools and skills. :whistle:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Jill is often asked that. When people are told the amount of hours that go into it though (and, as a result, what it would cost) the subject suddenly gets changed :D

Same with my quilts. When a friend's wife saw some of my quilts when we saw them over the summer (first time I had met his wife - she's very nice) she asked if I sold them. When I told her how much I would have to charge to make it worth my while she thought I would still be able to sell them - but then she is a journalist - and works on the London glossies. Different world - different values and expectations.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I wonder how difficult it would be to find out what Mary's mother was called? Interesting project for someone with the tools and skills. :whistle:

Possibly an hour an the Scotlandspeople website :) It would cost though :(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
thanks @big map was going to be Mary.. but changed.. she is now Mary's mum .. lol

@GJH yes.. I think we paid about £30 each for the Checkmates.. which was very reasonable..

If I were 'up to speed' probably take about four hours.. even paying yourself minimum wages noone would buy them..

It's like wood turning .. no one will pay for the time it takes to make a nice bowl..

.. it's a hobby ..I just love being creative

For the rag dolls as collectors' items, one offs and in presentation boxes you should be able to charge a minimum of £50 or £60 - especially if you sell at craft fairs or on etsy. But then do you want the hassle? I hate making quilts on commission. Having someone else dictate colours and style and not being able to change ideas or develop new ideas during the creation stifles the artistic urge.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Possibly an hour an the Scotlandspeople website :) It would cost though :(
Jan was busy on it.. narrowed it to three possible Mary Buchanan's who died in the time frame.. death certs after 1964 have to be ordered.. at £15 a pop .. as you said.. not cheap and not worth it for a 'stranger'

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For the rag dolls as collectors' items, one offs and in presentation boxes you should be able to charge a minimum of £50 or £60 - especially if you sell at craft fairs or on etsy. But then do you want the hassle? I hate making quilts on commission. Having someone else dictate colours and style and not being able to change ideas or develop new ideas during the creation stifles the artistic urge.

worth thinking about.. plenty of craft fairs around here.. over winter could make them and sell in the spring for summer holiday pocket money :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Jan was busy on it.. narrowed it to three possible Mary Buchanan's who died in the time frame.. death certs after 1964 have to be ordered.. at £15 a pop .. as you said.. not cheap and not worth it for a 'stranger'

worth thinking about.. plenty of craft fairs around here.. over winter could make them and sell in the spring for summer holiday pocket money :)

Don't make yourself a slave to it and check the cost of a table :)

You could put a "birth certificate" in with the doll - or if you make a pair of dolls a "marriage certificate"!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Same with my quilts. When a friend's wife saw some of my quilts when we saw them over the summer (first time I had met his wife - she's very nice) she asked if I sold them. When I told her how much I would have to charge to make it worth my while she thought I would still be able to sell them - but then she is a journalist - and works on the London glossies. Different world - different values and expectations.
If you only charged enough to make it worth your while in London the "luvvies" would probably reject it as too cheap :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The trouble with anything crafty is that it can be subject to the vagaries of fashion. If you are in the right place at the right time you can make money but otherwise you can be left with stock that won't shift. Not so bad if it is just excess stuff made as a hobby and doesn't take up too much storage room but could be expensive otherwise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back