• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD Hymer B680 Starline 'S' 2015. (1 Viewer)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I have decided that, due to health issues, I will sell the Hymer and cease motorhoming.

I plan to offer it for sale at the beginning of December, but thought that it may be useful to make a preliminary announcement now to test the water.

I purchased the vehicle, which is right hand drive, new from Premier Motorhomes on 18th March this year. The mileage is just over 4,000.

The base vehicle is Mercedes Benz, powered by the 3-litre V6 (190hp) (Euro 6) engine with 7G Tronic automatic transmission with rear wheel drive with twin rear wheels. The maximum permitted mass is 5,300Kg and the payload is 964Kg. The length is 8 metres.

The internal layout is twin beds over a large garage, which has access doors on both sides. We chose to delete the drop-down bed in the lounge to give greatly increased headroom, more light, and additional storage cupboards. There is a washroom featuring a ceramic toilet and cool glass sink and a separate shower room. The kitchen worktop is a solid Corian-type material with a large circular bowl and domestic quality mixer tap. There is a TEC-Tower with oven/grill and a 160 litre fridge with separate freezer.

The lounge upholstery is finished in full Pebble leather and the table is extendable and multi-positional, allowing up to 7 people to dine. The cab glazing is insulated and the windscreen shutter is electricity operated.

Power is supplied by three 95Ah leisure batteries and two 150 watt solar panels.
There is a 1800W inverter and Alde water heater with heat exchanger. There are 15 convectors, heating the garage, external lockers and double floor.

Additional equipment, mostly factory-fit, includes roof rack and ladder, towbar with removable towball, 5.5 metre awning, Oyster 85cm satellite dish, Phantom Gemini alarm system, Tracker Locate, electronic floor safe, televisions in both bedroom and lounge working independently of each other, spare wheel, Double Din twin lens reversing camera and much more.

If interested, please message me for any additional information or photographs. As stated, I will formally offer the vehicle for sale in a months time. My asking price will depend on the advice of my dealer, but I would expect it to be in the region of ÂŁ90K.

Thanks for reading.

Stef.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
Thank you all for your kind comments. Please don't read too much into this as far as 'health issues' is concerned. I don't want to make it sound too dramatic.
The problem (or at least the problem I am aware of) is my eye sight. As I mentioned in a recent thread, I had eye surgery three years ago, and my sight seems to deteriorate almost by the day.
At first I was concerned that the medical which I have to pass at age 70 may be a problem. It's now got to the point where I am questioning if I should be driving at all, certainly in such a large vehicle.
It's time to put personal pride to one side. I've been driving for almost 50 years and have never had an endorsement or penalty point in that time. I now need to man up before I do someone some damage.
Facing up to reality is going to cost me an awful lot of money but is preferable to the possible alternative.
Stef.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for your kind comments. Please don't read too much into this as far as 'health issues' is concerned. I don't want to make it sound too dramatic.
The problem (or at least the problem I am aware of) is my eye sight. As I mentioned in a recent thread, I had eye surgery three years ago, and my sight seems to deteriorate almost by the day.
At first I was concerned that the medical which I have to pass at age 70 may be a problem. It's now got to the point where I am questioning if I should be driving at all, certainly in such a large vehicle.
It's time to put personal pride to one side. I've been driving for almost 50 years and have never had an endorsement or penalty point in that time. I now need to man up before I do someone some damage.
Facing up to reality is going to cost me an awful lot of money but is preferable to the possible alternative.
Stef.

What a brave and considerate attitude(y)

OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
I empathise with you on the eyesight problem although mine was only operated in one eye which arrested the problem and the other is ok. It did however lead to the loss of my C1 entitlement which was quite a loss.
Good luck with your sale and with your health .

Thanks again to you all for your kind words of support.

@Larrynwin. I found your post particularly helpful. You see, and I didn't say this before, my surgery was also on only one eye. The fact that you experienced the same as me and ended up losing your C1 entitlement reinforces my feeling that I am doing the right thing.
Stef.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Life still goes on at 3500kg believe me! I lost C1 over 20 years ago due to going on insulin due to diabetes. OK you can't drag something as big as a flat around, but you can still follow the sun and have wonderful holidays. There is a handful of lightweight A class around now that fit the bill.....

OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
@Judgemental

Good point, and that was my initial thought.
The Hymer MLI in one of its 3500Kg formats looked to be a possible replacement.
However, when I added spec to bring it up towards what we're used to it was going to cost me pretty much what my Starline is worth.
And, with respect to any Funsters who have the MLI, it wouldn't be a match for the 680.
As I confided to another Funster recently, I think our next leisure vehicle will travel very slowly, and on water!
Stef.

Edit.
Reading that back I don't like the way that it sounds as though I'm putting down folks who have smaller or less expensive vehicles than mine. That is certainly not the case. Instead of using the words "wouldn't be a match" I should have said "wouldn't be a fair comparison". Sorry for any offence which my words may have caused.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks again to you all for your kind words of support.

@Larrynwin. I found your post particularly helpful. You see, and I didn't say this before, my surgery was also on only one eye. The fact that you experienced the same as me and ended up losing your C1 entitlement reinforces my feeling that I am doing the right thing.
Stef.

@StefAndDi My op was a trabeculectomy in the left eye to relieve pressure and arrest the onset of glaucoma. The op was successful albeit a small amount of damage had been done in the centre top area of vision but that is compensated for by the fact my right eye is perfect and adequate to pass the tests had they been correctly carried out in the first place.
I have annual checkups and all still ok so if things remain as they are I will continue driving albeit with a 3500kg limit.
If you have one good eye that should cover adequately for the other one to enable you to drive .
If your consultant considered your eyesight inadequate for driving , I believe he would be obliged to notify DVLA .
Might be worth down sizing before you reach renewal if you are really concerned.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Judgemental

Good point, and that was my initial thought.
The Hymer MLI in one of its 3500Kg formats looked to be a possible replacement.
However, when I added spec to bring it up towards what we're used to it was going to cost me pretty much what my Starline is worth.
And, with respect to any Funsters who have the MLI, it wouldn't be a match for the 680.
As I confided to another Funster recently, I think our next leisure vehicle will travel very slowly, and on water!
Stef.

MIRO of single bed MIL over 3000 kg? By the time you add a few essentials (note the essentials) cant see this having a hope in hell of working as 3500

as I said earlier there are A class round with a MIRO of around 2800. so yo can add 200kg of extras and still have a practical 500 kg payload. I really think you have to adjust your expectations and get realistic or get the boat:)

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." -- Henry Miller

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely looking van - saw it when we met Stef and Di at the Truro meet in September. Very well specced to. It will be a great van for somebody else now Stef has decided he wants to quit. Must admit I was interested when Stef first told me what he was thinking of doing, but it is just a bit too big for us and no drop down beds for the grandkids when they get a bit older.

Good luck Stef in whatever you decide to do. And keep in touch with us all.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have eyesight problems and can no longer drive at all (blurred vision in right from scar tissue due to frequent corneal ulcers and central serous retinothopy in the left eye causing a major central blind spot).
I have a 5t 9m Burstner Elegance.
My solution?
My wife drives it and has driven our motorhomes for the last 6 years all over Europe and Morocco.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
What a courageous, sensible decision you are making. Hats off to you that you're thinking ahead and also putting other people first. Such a selfless decision. I do hope you find a resolution to this problem. We do take eyesight for granted and its deterioration causes countless problems that effect our general day to day living. I certainly hope you are able to continue the freedom a Motorhome gives by whatever means possible for as long as possible, if that means downsizing so be it. Whilst ever you feel capable enough to do it. The main thing is, you have accepted there's now limitations, a lot of drivers don't. Credit to you.(y)

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Sorry to hear this news Stef, sounds as if you've made the right choice but still sad to hear it. You realise that this choice of yours will mean that we will loose the beer and Cornish pasty transporter for next year food festival :-(. All the best to you both and enjoy what ever you decide to do.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
It looks better than some of the houses i have lived in !!! good luck it sounds like a good price for the quality and age of mh,but then again i wouldnt know really...

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
Sorry to here your sad news of having to sell motorhome.
I would be interested possibly but in process of selling large property in Peak District to facilitate potential retirement - so possibly a little early for me but you never know by spring -
would like some pics and details to try and work on the better half though if you don't mind.
Thanks and good luck.

Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
As a newbie I am sorry to her you are having to give up this wonderful lifestyle. I admire your honesty I support you 100% in your decision due to your health as I have been in driver safety for most of my working life.

OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
The vehicle is now being marketed for me by the dealer who supplied it, Premier Motorhomes and Leisure, Birdham, Chichester, West Sussex,
I wanted the vehicle to be 'in the shop window' and the fact that Premier are able to take another motorhome in part-exchange and offer finance if necessary is very appealing to me.
More at www.premiermotorhomes.com
Stef.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
2010 to 2016
The vehicle is now being marketed for me by the dealer who supplied it, Premier Motorhomes and Leisure, Birdham, Chichester, West Sussex,
I wanted the vehicle to be 'in the shop window' and the fact that Premier are able to take another motorhome in part-exchange and offer finance if necessary is very appealing to me.
More at www.premiermotorhomes.com
Stef.

I feel that I made a good decision here.
I took the van to Premier on Monday and within 24 hours they had arranged a viewing and secured a sale at my asking price.
This dealership has been superb throughout. My Hymer was delivered when promised, they set aside two days for the handover and the couple of minor problems with the vehicle were dealt with efficiently.
When it became necessary for me to part with the vehicle they not only offered to sell it for me but at a reduced commission.
I would recommend them to anybody looking to purchase a motorhome.
Stef.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back