French Van, retirement and insurance (1 Viewer)

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
I am taking early retirement in two years time at age 55. Our plan is to sell up here and buy in France - probably Dordogne or Quercy - and live over there full time. We have an English van which I know I cannot really use there and in any event will be looking to change it by then anyway.

So, plan is to sell our house and motorhome here before we go abroad, having sold up here and live in the van for 6 months or so until we find the right property. We intend to buy a new van in France in time but nowI am thinking of buying one before we go over there as opposed to renting somewhere whilst looking.

What I don't want to do is bring it over here and register it in England,no point, as it will be going back to France as soon as the keys are put back through the office letterbox! we may need to spend some time in it here if the house sale goes through but doubtful as the house will on the market a year before we intend going.

How do we insure it? Is it feasible

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It isn't the insurance you need to worry about but the fact that whilst still a UK resident you cannot drive a vehicle in the UK with foreign plates. Having said I personally wouldn't worry too much about it as you'll be leaving. As long as you can actually buy it & insure it in France ( you'd probably need an address) I wouldn't worry.
Just remember if you do do it, that if asked at any time whilst in the UK that you are a French resident. No doubt someone French based might be able to tell you more.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It isn't the insurance you need to worry about but the fact that whilst still a UK resident you cannot drive a vehicle in the UK with foreign plates. Having said I personally wouldn't worry too much about it as you'll be leaving. As long as you can actually buy it & insure it in France ( you'd probably need an address) I wouldn't worry.
Just remember if you do do it, that if asked at any time whilst in the UK that you are a French resident. No doubt someone French based might be able to tell you more.
Yes, I have seen that quoted in many places. The DVLA even have it on their website, however, I have sent them several emails and letters asking them to clarify where this is mentioned in the road traffic act, they refuse to answer.
There is also the tricky point, how does one establish where an EU resident resides, since we have freedom of movement!
However, to avoid issues, get a French address first :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
For this to work, you will need a French driving licence. I think you will need a French address to buy and insure a van in France too.

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Its kinda fraught as I thought. Seemed like a good idea but in reality what I expect I will do is either buy one and register here first, go, and the register as we will still have an "address" here although won't actually be living in that house.

Or, keep our van, go over there and come back and sell it when and then get a new one there.

French driving Licence - seriously - thought my UK one was sufficient?

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
best of luck to you, i retired early at 59 when i was offered a house in wales near the wifes family, i had to sell my van, as i knew we wouldn't be using it for a few years, but its a great life no stress, no commutes in traffic, and take my time doing the house up. hope you get your insurance etc sorted, because lifes to short just enjoy each day.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
You don't need to change your driving licence to a French one unless ordered to by the authorities if you get caught with a traffic offence. In France you have 12 points on your licence and have some deducted for speeding etc. The opposite way to us.
Your biggest nightmare moving to France at that age will be the cost of private health cover.:eek:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
For this to work, you will need a French driving licence. I think you will need a French address to buy and insure a van in France too.

Sorry, but this is not true. It is quite legal to drive in France on a UK licence, even though resident (with a French or British address). Just realised that others have already answered this.

Health insurance can be / is expensive, but there are various options available to reduce the cost. As a minimum, I would suggest hospitalization cover. Although the state do cover (on average) 70% of the costs (I think it is) the bill for a few nights in hospital will come out at a fair sum.

I bought a lhd Burstner from Lowdham, brought it with me to France and jumped through all the hoops to get it registered here. The registration process was quite easy - it was obtaining the certificate of conformity from Burstner which was the most difficult part.

I am quite happy to give you help and advice if you want to pm me.

J

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes, I have seen that quoted in many places. The DVLA even have it on their website, however, I have sent them several emails and letters asking them to clarify where this is mentioned in the road traffic act, they refuse to answer.
There is also the tricky point, how does one establish where an EU resident resides, since we have freedom of movement!
However, to avoid issues, get a French address first :D

Don't know why they won't tell you , then again getting anything out of them is difficult at best of times. It comes under EU rules & the actual directive dates , would you believe, from 1983.

Here is a copy of an email reply from EU solvit in 2013 as I wasn't getting a lot of sense out of the dvla.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for getting in touch with Your Europe Advice.

The question you ask relates to EU rules concerning who can and who cannot drive a foreign registered car.

You reside in Spain and you are a UK citizen. You wonder whether it is lawful for your children and their respective partners to drive your Spanish registered car in the UK.

Thus, we are led to infer that your children and their respective partners are using your car, which is registered in Spain.

We assume that the car therefore bears Spanish plates and that the car tax is paid in Spain.

The question is therefore whether the car can be used in the UK under the current registration, and where there are any time limits, how long can this use be allowed.

The short answer is that the car must not be lent to a third party in the circumstances you relate (in this case, the car is lent by you to your children (and their respective partners) whom we assume are habitually resident in the UK).

Under EU law, cars must be registered where the owner is habitually resident. In this case, the car in question appears to be properly registered in Spain. However, article 3 Directive 83/182 forbids for the car in question to be lent to a third party.

Different rules apply for vehicles destined for business use; this is not your case or that of your children, given that the use of the car in question is for a private use.

If you google the article 3 Directive 83/182 you can download te pdf in english & bore yourself to death.:LOL:

the above I'd asked of the dvla but it took them 6 or 7 emails to get to the point that the EU lot managed in one.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
You definitely do not need to change your licence to a French one when residing in France. If fact if you try to swap it for a French one you will be told it is not required unless you have been caught for a traffic offence and as a French resident the authorities want to start deducting points from it. You will however need a French address to buy, register and insure a vehicle even if it's just a holiday home. We have homes and vehicles in France and the UK and regularly drive in both countries with vehicles from the other country. Technically illegal but we share our time between the UK, France and travelling, but if anything happened in the UK with our French vehicle we would give our French address and we would be on our French insurance and the opposite if in France with a UK vehicle. Apparently the UK authorities are OK with you keeping your UK licence so long as it is registered to a UK address you can be contacted through.
Paul

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@gus-lopez In the circumstance listed, I would agree, however, a private vehicle wholly owned and registered by a member of another EU state, article 3 Directive 83/182 does not apply. For example, I happen to own a vehicle in Portugal, it is mine, registered by me, insured and taxed by me in Portugal. If I drive it here, it is still taxed and insured by the company in Portugal. There is no provision either under article 3 Directive 83/182 or the RTA that says that I cannot drive my car in this country. In fact, article 3 Directive 83/182 specifically states that I can under the temporary import exemption.
By the way, DVLA directed me to that EU provision, and I pointed out their folly, that is why they are unable to reply. They state it is illegal to drive a foreign plated vehicle in your home country, whereas in fact no such law exists, or has been shown to me.

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Seems easier to keep the current van until you have a new property in France to me.

Think that's right. its two years off yet but now that we have decided to go the planning and research starts.

We are going to buy a house with 2/3 Gites so my wife can do that. That means we have a business in France for tax and healthcare purposes. I will not be drawing a pension for some years and will rely on other income.

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Sorry, but this is not true. It is quite legal to drive in France on a UK licence, even though resident (with a French or British address). Just realised that others have already answered this.

Health insurance can be / is expensive, but there are various options available to reduce the cost. As a minimum, I would suggest hospitalization cover. Although the state do cover (on average) 70% of the costs (I think it is) the bill for a few nights in hospital will come out at a fair sum.

I bought a lhd Burstner from Lowdham, brought it with me to France and jumped through all the hoops to get it registered here. The registration process was quite easy - it was obtaining the certificate of conformity from Burstner which was the most difficult part.

I am quite happy to give you help and advice if you want to pm me.

J

Thank you - i will later

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
@gus-lopez In the circumstance listed, I would agree, however, a private vehicle wholly owned and registered by a member of another EU state, article 3 Directive 83/182 does not apply. For example, I happen to own a vehicle in Portugal, it is mine, registered by me, insured and taxed by me in Portugal. If I drive it here, it is still taxed and insured by the company in Portugal. There is no provision either under article 3 Directive 83/182 or the RTA that says that I cannot drive my car in this country. In fact, article 3 Directive 83/182 specifically states that I can under the temporary import exemption.
By the way, DVLA directed me to that EU provision, and I pointed out their folly, that is why they are unable to reply. They state it is illegal to drive a foreign plated vehicle in your home country, whereas in fact no such law exists, or has been shown to me.

No that is not correct . It is specifically for importation , whether temporary or permanent , of vehicles, boats ,plane, bikes ,trikes & even saddle-horses.

If you read page 2; Article 3; (a); (aa) it states quite simply the following.

Article 3
Temporary importation of certain means of transport
for private Use
Where a private vehicle, caravan, pleasure boat, private
aircraft, tricycle or bicycle is imported temporarily, the
item imported shall be exempt from the taxes specified
in Article 1 for a period, continuous or otherwise, of
not more than six months in any 12 months, provided
that:

(a) the individual importing such goods:

(aa) has his normal residence in a Member State
other than the Member State of temporary
importation;

(bb) employs the means of transport in question for
his private use;

Therefore (aa) means that as I assume that you hold UK residency then you can drive the Portugese vehicle in any EU state except the one in which you are resident , the UK.

Why the DVLA never told you that as they eventually told me when I found the walking & taking one. It is in the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 .
Below the email reply;

Dear Mr López

Thank you for your email received on 7/10/13. Your email reference number is 1570140.

The Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 stipulates that UK residents are not permitted to use a non-UK-registered vehicle on UK roads. In the circumstances that you have explained, your daughters or your daughter’s partners will not be permitted to use a non-UK registered vehicle as they are residents within the UK.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks the best bet to keep some property in the uk rent it out but keep it in your name get ehic card for medical cover and keep vehicle etc uk registered. The medical insurance costs alone would contribute a fair bit to a mortgage!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back