Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
No doubt this has been covered before but I want some advice on the best recovery service for motorhomes. I am with the RAC but have no idea if that also covers me for my MH. The van logbook states 3500kg and the actual clean weight is just over 3000kg so am I covered?
Who are you with and what does it cover you for.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are with safeguard the insurance has full European breakdown as well as at home and covers us with a 4250 GVW and trailer

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At 3500kg you should be covered depending on length and age...unless they moved the goalposts.
You will only be recovered if you bought that option.

I have RAC Arrival.....recovery and roadside assistance.
ANY vehicle whether i own it or not, driving or not. (Sign written work vehicles excluded)
No size or weight restrictions.....even 11 plus ton american rvs are covered.
If you break down enroute to a pre booked campsite they will, if you want, take you to the site then recover you home after your break.

Only drawback is you MUST have C&CC membership (£40 ish)
Breakdown cover cost seems to be variable for some reason.
I last paid around £82.....but worth it as its ME covered, not the vehicle.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
BIG BUS. If your RAC cover is on your car and you think it may cover your motorhome I understand it only covers vehicles up to 5.5 meters.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I asked this at a show when i saw an RAC Rep, as im in the RAC.

He seemed to think there would be an additional cost if the vehicle to be covered was around 7.5m

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We've cover provided via a bank account. We're covered over 3.5 t up to 8m. Not used it (luckily) so we don't know how good it is yet. Can't remember who it's underwritten by.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
On
At 3500kg you should be covered depending on length and age...unless they moved the goalposts.
You will only be recovered if you bought that option.

I have RAC Arrival.....recovery and roadside assistance.
ANY vehicle whether i own it or not, driving or not. (Sign written work vehicles excluded)
No size or weight restrictions.....even 11 plus ton american rvs are covered.
If you break down enroute to a pre booked campsite they will, if you want, take you to the site then recover you home after your break.

Only drawback is you MUST have C&CC membership (£40 ish)
Breakdown cover cost seems to be variable for some reason.
I last paid around £82.....but worth it as its ME covered, not the vehicle.

Only in the UK They will only cover you for 3 months in Europe if over 3.5 ton

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We had just got off the ferry at Roscoff and 20 odd miles later the engine in our car lost power, so tel. Breakdown they sent a local breakdown lorry and took the car away, we had to get a relative to collect our van and take us to the campsite which was 69 miles away, we heard nothing so rang them on the third day, because we didn't know where the car was, it took ten days before the car was ready and then we were told they did not redeliver breakdown vehicles, anyway after a few words !! They sent a taxi for us as the car was 128 miles away, we collected the car and was told nothing was wrong with it just a connection thing, which was nonsense, the car was OK from then on.
We wrote to the company complaining , their reply was that they don't sort out breakdowns if the car is not attached to the caravan, which was rubbish as we were on the side of the road and I had detached it for the breakdown lorry.
The car was a Lexus which we had bought new and the caravan was a new Eriba.
The breakdown company was one of the major ones employed by Lexus, so watch out if you think you are properly covered, because a lot of people think they are mainly because they haven't used their cover yet.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
BIG BUS. If your RAC cover is on your car and you think it may cover your motorhome I understand it only covers vehicles up to 5.5 meters.
Definitely look into the length. It's the reason I am not with the RAC.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ADAC is or rather was the best option. they are however currently renegotiating their uk cover with their agent the AA

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got cover via our MH insurance. It's with RAC and we're 4.5 tonnes and just over 7m. They use RAC Commercial for recovery. We've had to use it once in the UK and was pleased with the service.

Not had to use in Europe and hope we don't need to.

Denise

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure about standard RAC cover but AA has a width limit that rules out most Motorhomes. Ours is with RAC via Comfort insurance £58 full European cover no size or weight restrictions.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Recovery6.jpg

RAC via Comfort 4.6 Tonnes.