Genoa - Palermo ferry - book in advance or just show up?? (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Oh boy oh boy!! Only a month or so to go before I down tools and take off for a gap year in the Murv, just me and my little terrier, Murph.
Firstly, I'll be visiting family in Burgundy for Christmas, then some old friends near Avignon. After that it's either the long, slow drive to Sicily, or the ferry from Genoa to Palermo. Years ago I did a similar trip but drove to the Peloponnese, taking the Patras/Venice ferry back up. There seemed to be not much difference in price booking in advance or just showing up at the port - this brings me to my question; anyone know if it'll be a financial disaster to just show up without a ticket at Genoa port? It'll be January, so lots of space on the ferry - I just don't want to tie myself to a particular day/time if I can avoid it.
Incidentally, anyone else headed to Sicily over winter??

Jacquie

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We were in Sicily this time last year and were thinking of taking the ferry back from Palermo to Genoa. In the end we drove but there wouldn't have been a problem if we wanted the ferry. We were in a much smaller vehicle though and I would have booked a couple of days before the sailing to make sure.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi Jacquie, I done the return trip last year and was a great way to get there only about 21.5 hours to Palermo, but join the MyGNV first before booking or turning up as this can give you a discount this time and your occut points for next trip as well join here for free http://www.gnv.it/en/mygnv.html
then book on line or call direct +39 010 2094591 they speak perfect English so can understand exactly what you need in terms of accommodation, you will need a pet friendly cabin and may cost about €450 in total one way I did single one way trips each way and phoned up to book 3 days before I went and booked return trip online 1 week before I returned, and don't think it makes much difference however you book as ferry on way out beginning of December was almost totally empty, only 15 vehicles on ferry that holds over 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and return on the 1st April was much the same but more lorry trailers. So overall even if you book day before saving just turning up at the port would be ok as you don't need ticket just ref number when you get to port office Where are you intending to stay in Sicily????? I can recommend a place if you need it €8 per night + ehu for long stay and great atmosphere and very friendly owners and other mh long stayers.
Good luck and enjoy your trip Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Funny I am going to the Peloponnese in a couple of weeks time and driving all the way and maybe ferry back to Venice as well,, which way did you drive down !!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi there Gary - very helpful, thanks! I think that's the way to go - join the club then book a few days in advance. I've been looking at Camping Luminoso for a start but am very open to recommendations!! I'll do a little wilding as well but I'd love to have a base for a few weeks at a time. I'll try to spend most of the winter on Sicily after which I'm launching myself and the unsuspecting dog on a long distance bicycle tour, but that's another story.
As for getting to Greece back in 2008, I made a wild zig-zagging descent through Italy, taking in everything from the Cinque Terre in the north to Matera in the south. I hopped on a ferry at Bari to Igoumenitsa and based myself in Finikounda (camping Finikes - smack on the beach). I explored a huge chunk of Greece, including the mountains in the North and a fair deal of the interior before hopping on the ferry to Venice. We sailed into Venice at dawn and watched a gondola funeral cortege make its way to the cemetery island - incredible!!
Anyway, the drive down to Greece was challenging but fab, but I think I just want to get straight to Sicily this time.
Sounds like you're as excited about your trip as I am - happy trails!!

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi there Gary - very helpful, thanks! I think that's the way to go - join the club then book a few days in advance. I've been looking at Camping Luminoso for a start but am very open to recommendations!! I'll do a little wilding as well but I'd love to have a base for a few weeks at a time. I'll try to spend most of the winter on Sicily after which I'm launching myself and the unsuspecting dog on a long distance bicycle tour, but that's another story.
As for getting to Greece back in 2008, I made a wild zig-zagging descent through Italy, taking in everything from the Cinque Terre in the north to Matera in the south. I hopped on a ferry at Bari to Igoumenitsa and based myself in Finikounda (camping Finikes - smack on the beach). I explored a huge chunk of Greece, including the mountains in the North and a fair deal of the interior before hopping on the ferry to Venice. We sailed into Venice at dawn and watched a gondola funeral cortege make its way to the cemetery island - incredible!!
Anyway, the drive down to Greece was challenging but fab, but I think I just want to get straight to Sicily this time.
Sounds like you're as excited about your trip as I am - happy trails!!
Ha Luminoso is right next door to Scarebo camping where I spent 4 months,,, Luminoso although nice sight as almost completely empty all the time I was there and Scarabeo was pretty full most of the time,as seemed to be a better ambiance there and every one as very friendly
http://www.scarabeocamping.it/ or phone Angela or Conchitta on
+39 338-9793062 or +39 349-5257009 or info@scarabeocamping.it yopu will have a great time

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Just great Gary! Thanks very much, I will defo check out Scarabeo - I'm feeling more social this year so more action would be good. Oh my goodness, if only I could just chuck the dog and a backpack in the van and start away tonight....:sneaky:
alas, only a short time to go until the work is done, and more dosh to pay for all the fun is a good thing!
Do you know where you'll be aiming for regarding a campsite on the Peloponnese?

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
GNV, Genoa to Palermo Jan **, 2016, Pet Cabin with sea view - €341. No too shabby! Diesel alone driving down would cost me about €200, and I'm sure I would end up detouring all over the place as is my wont...

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just great Gary! Thanks very much, I will defo check out Scarabeo - I'm feeling more social this year so more action would be good. Oh my goodness, if only I could just chuck the dog and a backpack in the van and start away tonight....:sneaky:
alas, only a short time to go until the work is done, and more dosh to pay for all the fun is a good thing!
Do you know where you'll be aiming for regarding a campsite on the Peloponnese?

Yes here it is GYTHION CAMPSITE 36.729862, 22.544931 Eparchiaki Odos Gytheiou-Areopolis Anatoliki in the next bay east of where you was,
you can see where it is by the coordinate's Hope you have a great time there, and if you go to Scarabeo seek out Sally and Nicko proberly in one of the bungalows immediately to your lefy when you park up outside reception, as she is very nice lady and has a collie dog that she takes for a walk every day and she would love to have another doggie person go on the walk with her along the beach and into the lovely pine woods, she got me walking last year LOL, and she had arrived already for the winter.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
GNV, Genoa to Palermo Jan **, 2016, Pet Cabin with sea view - €341. No too shabby! Diesel alone driving down would cost me about €200, and I'm sure I would end up detouring all over the place as is my wont...

Probably more like €250 as diesel at moment is about €1.40 and it is about 750 miles from Genoa to the ferry to Sicily + cost of ferry at about €60 so by road would not be far off the cost of the ferry and you have to drive all the way about 3/4 days driving area so ferry much better, let the ferry take the strain :) Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Ahhh, you are staying on the Mani - a really extraordinary place. Erg - diesel at €1.40!! Yes, I defo think the ferry is on the cards this time. I may head back up via Sardinia and Corsica, so there will be a lot of ferries in my future.

Thanks again for all the great info Gary - have an amazing time in Greece -

I will make sure to pass on your hellos!!

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Ahhh, you are staying on the Mani - a really extraordinary place. Erg - diesel at €1.40!! Yes, I defo think the ferry is on the cards this time. I may head back up via Sardinia and Corsica, so there will be a lot of ferries in my future.

Thanks again for all the great info Gary - have an amazing time in Greece -

I will make sure to pass on your hellos!!
Hi Jackquie
Just make sure you fill up with diesel before you enter Italy at the last place in France and you wont have to buy any diesel in Italy till you arrive at Scarabeo ok LAST DIESEL IN FRANCE 43.798374, 7.488268 MENTON, INTERMARCHE SUPERMARKET (NO OVERNIGHT PARKING) at about €1.09ppl
Also if you have a LPG fill up system fitted there is a gge in Santa Croce about 3.5 miles away from Scarabeo that sells LPG but only open for LPG from 07.30 to 12.00 Mon to Fri as attendant man fills it up for you only, otherwise normal gge times for diesel or petrol also cost is about €0.56ppl against €075ppl in France . See Sally for info on the 3 Supermarkets in Santa Croce she is very experienced now as this is her 2nd time there, and maybe give you a lift sometimes in her car, otherwise car available to hire from site at €10 for 2 hours or €40 for the day.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Gosh, it keeps on getting better Gary-you keep great records! Thanks again - yes I do have an underslung LPG tank - hope I have the right adaptors (I have a few of them left over from the last owners who got around).
Busy getting the 'van serviced and tickety-boo for winter travel. Is it December 19th yet???

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Gosh, it keeps on getting better Gary-you keep great records! Thanks again - yes I do have an underslung LPG tank - hope I have the right adaptors (I have a few of them left over from the last owners who got around).
Busy getting the 'van serviced and tickety-boo for winter travel. Is it December 19th yet???

OK good, you need the dish type of adapter for Italy, the same one as you use in France ok. anything else just ask ok.

Attachments

• lpg-nippel-schotel DISH.jpg
    lpg-nippel-schotel DISH.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread