Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I am very aware that many dogs get stolen and Little Miss Phoebe is a beautiful and valuable puppy so I keep her constantly guarded. I must admit I am more used to have a do to 'guard' rather than be guarded. Must I be a constantly vigilant when on the Continent, or is stealing dogs less prevalent over there. i.e. could I leave her tied up outside a shop whilst I went in?

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I think constant vigilance over your friend is a must these days.
Sadly, with the influx of more needy people leaving their own countries to better their lot ( and I don't have a problem with that) everything no matter what its value is up for grabs by the unscrupulous, be they residents of the country you are in, or visitors like yourselves.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My dog barks when I leave him tied up outside a shop, nobody would steal him !
Anyone got training tips to stop the barking ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Bark collar? Ones that squirts air or citrus spray work. I would never leave a dog tied up outside a shop anywhere. People throw themselves on bonnets of cars at zebra crossing to try and claim money off you ( another benefit of having a dash cam). Just imagine coming out of a shop and someone claims your dog bit their child!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Bark collar? Ones that squirts air or citrus spray work. I would never leave a dog tied up outside a shop anywhere. People throw themselves on bonnets of cars at zebra crossing to try and claim money off you ( another benefit of having a dash cam). Just imagine coming out of a shop and someone claims your dog bit their child!

"collar cam" is your friend

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
"collar cam" is your friend

What is collar cam. I looked into the collars which transmit whereabouts they are, but they look pretty hit or miss :(

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Just imagine coming out of a shop and someone claims your dog bit their child![/QUOTE]
Hum, good point but they'd have to show a bite mark and he doesn't bite. He's not too bad really, I think it's just separation anxiety, hopefully he'll grow out of it.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
What is collar cam. I looked into the collars which transmit whereabouts they are, but they look pretty hit or miss :(

sorry I was being pedandtic.... just imagion a dash cam stuck on a collar....:getmecoat:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Whilst I accept that mutts do get nicked ....
For nearly ten years we've run a dog related charity. One of our major events is one of the largest of it's kind in the UK, maybe Europe. Our annual dog show is the second largest single breed show in the UK.
Whilst some do make a run for freedom (and are normally found), we don't know if a single person who's dog has been stolen.
So, when you say "I am very aware that many dogs get stolen" - how many do you actually know of first, or even second hand ?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
A collie trainer I know explained that the best way to start them to stop barking is to train them to bark on command first

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dogs do get stolen - I know of 2:

1st was next door's which was a boxer and was nicked to then extort £100 out of them to get it back, claiming that the people who had her had bought her from a chap in the pub ...

2nd was a lovely little dachy who I'd found previously laying in the middle of the road (not hurt just resting!) as she'd got out of the owner's garden, absolutely beautiful thing and enjoyed playing with my dogs whilst the owners came home from work to collect her. I later heard that she'd 'disappeared' from their garden which they had then 'dog proofed' and they never saw her again ... now whether she was really nicked or she got out again I don't know but to be honest I was glad they didn't have her anymore as I had visions of her being squished in the road!

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Well - of course it seems to be splashed all over the internet - and when one has a precious new, and of course trusting puppy it is a worry. But what you say does make me feel happier.

With my lovely old girl she would have guarded what was mine, and should anyone have tried to take her (brave person) they would have had to be exceedingly strong.
IMG_0028.JPG

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Whilst I accept that mutts do get nicked ....
For nearly ten years we've run a dog related charity. One of our major events is one of the largest of it's kind in the UK, maybe Europe. Our annual dog show is the second largest single breed show in the UK.
Whilst some do make a run for freedom (and are normally found), we don't know if a single person who's dog has been stolen.
So, when you say "I am very aware that many dogs get stolen" - how many do you actually know of first, or even second hand ?
There are a number of videos such as this showing dogs being stollen and news reports that I've read - they might not all be true but I struggle to believe that they are all false.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I am training up my own, but she is only just 5months and a bit too friendly at present :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It seems to go in spates down our way and it's usually gun dogs which are extra valuable after they are trained.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back