Free Member
Nov 30, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 580PR
Exp
Since 1996
Anyone have a itinerary for the south of England. Would like to start when the National Trust places and gardens open. Anything of interest old industries ,rspb + a rough idea of time allocation.Tall order I know but just don't have time to do it myself

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I cannot offer any suggestions as to where to go, but can suggest a place not to !

We visited the lost gardens of heligan.. For what it actually is the cost of entry is extremely high.
Believe me, you will miss virtually nothing by giving it a swerve !

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Seaton East Devon Tramway and Jurassic coast, Seaton river Axe wetlands , Beer East Devon fishing village, Branscombe (with narrow van)East Devon one of the longest streets in the UK. Colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Brighton can be interesting for visitors, the pier is free, a walk through the lanes you come to the Royal Pavilion and some museums or walk higher up to the main shopping area, it has a huge gay population but if you embrace the atmosphere it is a great city. About 5 miles north is Jack & Jill windmills, although one is privately owned you can get some great pictures of them from the carpark, so long as it is not a busy time of day you can drive a van up to the carpark. It is on the top of the South Downs so wonderful views of the sussex weald from here too. Arundel is a great town, huge castle dominates the landscape together with a cathedral. The River Arun running through the town has ample on road parking for free, even motorhomes, further along this road is the Arundel wetlands trust. another full day if you include the castle, and the Littlehampton CC site is about 3 miles away. Heading west you come to Chichester, a walled city which you may find interesting but for me it is missing something, as a photographer it held little interest for me however, nearby is Tangmere military museum or my personal favourite Bosham, you can park in the village carpark, this is small picturesque village set on estuary, great for bird watching and take a walk round the water you get some stunning views of Bosham, this is probably only a couple of hours so ideal after a day at Arundel but a fantastic place to watch sunsets as the glow on the wet mud can be spectacular. I little north of Chichester is the Singleton open air museum, not been there yet but I believe it is well worth a visit if the weather is good, half day here I would imagine, you could spend the other half at West Dean gardens if it is open. A lovely area, home to Goodwood racecourse, historic racing circuit and where Rolls Royce make their cars. moving on Portsmouth historic dockyard coupled with the outlet shopping of Gunwharf quays, a full day required here and it is all free unless you want to go on the dockyard ships. That covers a small part of my area, hope it helps.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Living where I do we have a few NT gardens around, this time of year without doubt you should visit Sheffield park, spectacular colours. About a mile away is the sheffield park end of the Bluebell railway, this is the end with the engine sheds, probably only an hour or so needed here though. Lewes is good, some historic properties here, if you head a few miles east you come to Seaford, if you study a map you can take your van to a carpark behind the golf coarse from where you will see a stunning highly photographed view of the Seven Sisters chalk cliffs, great for walking down to the beach. You can also drive onto those cliffs by using the Beachy Head road, no problem for a motorhome and some good stopping points.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We did a "south coast tour" last September, started at Sennen and ended up at Deal, then back again (we live less than 30 miles from Sennen); but we had no itinerary and find it more fun to make it up as we go along. We have all the books, local maps, a laptop and a phone. We were about a month travelling east.
It helps that we rarely have a date by which we have to be home.

OP
OP
brightsparkretired

brightsparkretired

Free Member
Nov 30, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 580PR
Exp
Since 1996
Well thank you all for your suggestions, I obviously need to re-assess my time scale!!! & thanks again for posting

Reactions: f6c

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
We did a "south coast tour" last September, started at Sennen and ended up at Deal, then back again (we live less than 30 miles from Sennen); but we had no itinerary and find it more fun to make it up as we go along. We have all the books, local maps, a laptop and a phone. We were about a month travelling east.
It helps that we rarely have a date by which we have to be home.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Sunny Deal

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I hope you enjoyed your stay in Sunny Deal
We did, thankyou @Eve . We stayed on a lovely little CL at Great Mongeham for a few days & walked into Deal from there a couple of times. We enjoyed the seafront; it's so different from our own at home!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I can recommend Exbury Gardens in the New Forest - Particularly early May - this is from our last visit in May 4 years ago :)

Exbury gardens 9th May 2008 022.jpg

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
We did, thankyou @Eve . We stayed on a lovely little CL at Great Mongeham for a few days & walked into Deal from there a couple of times. We enjoyed the seafront; it's so different from our own at home!

If you come again contact me,I can recommend much nicer cl than mongeham,or even wild camping spots.
There's a Brits Stop,in a village,plus another pub stop in another,big car parks in walmer ,I often take my van down to the beach just for the day..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back