beebee007

Free Member
Jul 5, 2015
Measham south Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
motorhoming for 5 years had caravans some time before.
Hi all this may have been asked befor? As any one had one of these Hydrogen devices fitted and if so dose it do as they say and improve fuel consumption any were near the 30+ %
Also were it was fitted. Cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not a chance.

Producing hydrogen onboard needs electrical power.....and lots of it.
That power is produced by your engines alternator which means more fuel is needed to overcome the extra load on the alternator.
The extra electrical power, hense extra fuel, needed will probably outstip the energy produced by the gas.

Drive more efficiently...smooth acceleration and anticipate stopping/slowing down will give better results.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes I have 4, one on each wheel..they are FANTASTIC!!!!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the energy produced by the gas..

This has been kicking around for years and years. I thought years ago that there may be a tiny chance of it working not by the tiny bit of heat burning hydrogen would produce but by the hydrogen acting as a catalyst to improve the combustion of the existing fuel. A fuel additive.

However if it's not made it big time by now it probably is not going to.

Deleted User
Lots of people have made these devices and posted films on YouTube showing their installations.

As others have said, it takes electrical power to make the hydrogen and this power has to come from somewhere - ie the alternator driven by a petrol/Diesel engine

Energy is lost in the internal combustion engine, the alternator, and the hho generator .

No such thing as "free" energy and if the system worked, every manufacturer would be using it (instead of installing dubious computer systems to "cheat" the efficiency figures)

People claiming improvements in efficiency are just driving more carefully (as are the 2 stroke oil gang!!)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I remember a system that injected a tiny amount of water on each detonation stroke.
Came out back in the 60's ( at least that was the first time I heard of it.
Rumor has it the technology was bought by one of the big oil companies and buried.. Probably an urban myth but who knows..

Certainly producing hydrogen uses more power than it delivers.. otherwise we would have that mythical and much sort after holy grail, perpetual motion

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
I have a Hydrogen dry cell, Yes it dose work and improve my MPG, Yes it dose take electric to power the unit, even with the little extra power needed to power the unit you can make savings between 25 to 40% depending on your driving style.

Negatives

1 The setup cost

2 It needs to be toped up bottle water it takes around two litres per 1100 miles

3 You have to drain clean and refill every 12 months.

Positives

1 Better MPG

2 Increase in power output

3 decrease in emissions by 80%

4 No more black smoke as all the fuel used is being burnt

5 No problem with insurance company’s

6 No problem DVLA as you are not making any changes or modifications to the manufacturers setup it’s just a fuel supplement

I’ve been using two for the last five years or so for very little effort I make good saving on my fuel costs.

Apart from using this system for tens of thousands of mile and keeping records of every trip I also made my own testing unit in my garage, I have setup a washing machine motor driving an alternator on my test rig to generate the power required to run the cell after extensive testing and readjusting the electro lights in the cell I get 6litres of Hydrogen per 9 Amps of power which give me a return of around 35% and this includes taking off 10% for negative power used to run the alternator.

If you require full fitting instructions please PM me with your email address and I’ll get a copy of to you.

Although I make my own Hydrogen cells now I’m not in any way trying to sell or promote them on this forum for myself or for any other company that makes this kind of equipment.

Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it

Hope this answers your question regarding HHO

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Steam is used to atomise heavy oil in large boilers in power stations..

Inverkip Power station where I worked in 1979 had three such steam generators.. (boilers) .

However, the soaring price of oil as a result of the 1973 oil crisis meant that by the time construction was completed generation was uneconomical. Commissioning was never completed ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverkip_power_station

internal-mix-steam-atomizer.gif

http://www.steamesteem.com/?burners

Oil and steam mix internally forming an emulsion of oil and steam at high pressure. The expansion of this mixture as it issues from the final orifice produces a spray of finely atomized oil.

and the point ?

Water injected into fuel oil makes it burn better .. so why not in a diesel engine ? ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Small quantities of water injected into a combustion chamber produces more oxygen to help fuel burn more efficiently.

It was only really used on high performance drag engines etc.

Today, a decent turbo will have more effect.

OP
OP
B

beebee007

Free Member
Jul 5, 2015
Measham south Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
motorhoming for 5 years had caravans some time before.
Thanks for all your replies. I think I will leave this on the back burner for a bit longer. Or have my engine chipped by Quantum just to improve mpg. I have heard good results about this company.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all your replies. I think I will leave this on the back burner for a bit longer. Or have my engine chipped by Quantum just to improve mpg. I have heard good results about this company.
Dont believe all you read.

Chipping increases performance.
Higher performance requires an increase in torque and horsepower.
More Torque and horsepower require more fuel.

If it gave a definate and worthwhile increase in mpg then the factory boffins would already be using the 'higher power with lower fuel consumption' trump card as a sales pitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back