Add two stroke oil to your diesel fuel (2 Viewers)

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
For all you oil burners out there, here is a gold plated tip.

Add about 500ml. to your fuel tank of two stroke oil when you fill up.

It then will help to clean the gunk out of the engine ports and generally improve the engine condition, but you have to continue doing it to feel the benefits.

OP
OP
goneroming

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Fact, it works, no kidding!! Its about the poor quality fuel that we now have.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wouldn't recommend it with an old engine though ... you could end up cleaning out 'gunk' that is stopping leaks! Seriously ... do NOT do it on old engines!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. I aint done the math but given a litre is about a tenner nowadays, the increase in mpg would have to be significant to make it a fiscal viability

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Ok.. I aint done the math but given a litre is about a tenner nowadays, the increase in mpg would have to be significant to make it a fiscal viability
And on that basis your better off using the higher quality diesel, costs the same extra per tank and is made for the job.

PS Camera arrived today, top man!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
These 'urban myths' pop up again and again. The manufactured spend millions on fuel research.................. I prefer to leave it to them. As @fastpat says ........... if you want better spend it on the diesel in the first place (y) (but even then I'm not entirely convinced)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Extract from Independent fuel experts
The study also included engine dynamometer testing using a modern common rail passenger car diesel engine. Engine performance and emissions were compared under laboratory conditions. Common rail injector fouling tests were also run to compare low sulphur diesel to the same fuel dosed with 2-stroke oil.

The results of the study support a view that the practice of dosing diesel with 2-stroke oil is surprisingly ineffective in terms of lubricity and cetane improvements. Engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions were also unchanged; however the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel is potentially harmful to modern diesel injection equipment. Trace amounts of zinc, an element which is found in most 2-stroke oils, are well known to cause injector nozzle fouling and the study measured high levels of injector fouling when the test engine was running on diesel dosed with 2-stroke oil. While the oil industry may not mind the additional revenue from the sale of 2-stroke oil with each tank of diesel, this study demonstrated that it is not in the best interest of the user to do so.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If I put Castol "R" in. Will it smell like my old Bultaco trials bike!!!!!!!Not bothered about the cost, just the smell would take me back to my yoooof!
;););)

No it won't! I thought it might make mine smell like my old Greeves Hawkstone - but it didn't.

I'm afraid those aromas are just distant, and very pleasant, memories. :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody stuff also gums up the works a treat !! It is like glue !!!!!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Seriously ... do NOT do it on old engines!

Well whatever you do DO NOT do it on recent common rail engines. Is you're going to try it you'd be safer with the older engine. We have had several vehicles in our workshop with problems with Common Rail engines who have admitted to putting 2 stroke oil in with their fuel because they'd read on a forum it was safe to do so.

It is often expensive to rectify on modern diesel engines.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Read numerous claims for the use of two stroke in diesel engines.. Most of them were on older engines with the rotary type pump and not the common rail with their higher operating pressures and much finer injector tolerances,so was never tempted to try it..
Another popular one that used to crop up to give increased mpg was the use of a little acetone in the tank..
Thanks for your post above @Geo ..clears it up for most who have modern common rail..
Ta Andy

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
This has been covered before on the forum. Been there seen that, done that and makes no difference.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Doesn't premium Diesel contain additives for keeping your engine clean or is that another urban myth? I have read an article that seems to support using premium over ordinary just from a mpg point of view, the increased cost of premium is outweighed by the extra economy so is actually cheaper!

OP
OP
goneroming

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
It seems that I have stirred up a rats nest!!!

For all you oil burners out there, here is a gold plated tip.

Add about 500ml. to your fuel tank of two stroke oil when you fill up.

It then will help to clean the gunk out of the engine ports and generally improve the engine condition, but you have to continue doing it to feel the benefits.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
First time I put 2-stroke oil in ours, within 10 kms. Mme.Stcyr asked if I'd 'fiddled' with the engine - she'd noticed from the passenger seat that the engine was quieter & smoother than before. That was about 5 years ago... No problems since. We add oil at virtually every fill. Another noticeable benefit was less need to change down on hills.

OP
OP
goneroming

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
2-stroke oil and diesel
To all interested:
due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material.

However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

One more information: in Germany they have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.

The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Extract from Independent fuel experts
The study also included engine dynamometer testing using a modern common rail passenger car diesel engine. Engine performance and emissions were compared under laboratory conditions. Common rail injector fouling tests were also run to compare low sulphur diesel to the same fuel dosed with 2-stroke oil.

The results of the study support a view that the practice of dosing diesel with 2-stroke oil is surprisingly ineffective in terms of lubricity and cetane improvements. Engine performance, fuel consumption and emissions were also unchanged; however the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel is potentially harmful to modern diesel injection equipment. Trace amounts of zinc, an element which is found in most 2-stroke oils, are well known to cause injector nozzle fouling and the study measured high levels of injector fouling when the test engine was running on diesel dosed with 2-stroke oil. While the oil industry may not mind the additional revenue from the sale of 2-stroke oil with each tank of diesel, this study demonstrated that it is not in the best interest of the user to do so.

2-stroke oil and diesel
To all interested:
due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material.

However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

One more information: in Germany they have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.

The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

Which one is right?????

There's only one way to find out!!!!!!

""""""""FIGHT"""""""""

:cooler:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well whatever you do DO NOT do it on recent common rail engines. Is you're going to try it you'd be safer with the older engine. We have had several vehicles in our workshop with problems with Common Rail engines who have admitted to putting 2 stroke oil in with their fuel because they'd read on a forum it was safe to do so.

It is often expensive to rectify on modern diesel engines.
Never said anyone should do it on new engines, just concerned that people with older engines might think it is 'safer' as it's not such sophisticated technology ... BIIIIIIGGGGGGGG MISTAKE!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Never said anyone should do it on new engines, just concerned that people with older engines might think it is 'safer' as it's not such sophisticated technology ... BIIIIIIGGGGGGGG MISTAKE!

I didn't suggest that you had said that, I was concerned that people reading your previous Post would think ah well if you mustn't use it on Old Engines then it'll be okay on New ones, WARNING it most definitely is NOT okay.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If VW labs are able to create a system that can cheat emmissions standards and tests, then they are clever enough to come up with a solution. They still have not done so though.

adding 2 stroke oil to a modern common rail diesel engine like the ducato 2006> is very foolish and expensive to repair. it makes more sense to fill the tank at least every 3rd fill with premium fuel including more detergents to keep the system clean

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Put petrol in works great for 5 minutes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back