Leaking kitchen tap in 2007 Kon-tiki (1 Viewer)

D

devondumpling

Deleted User
Hi all!

We are currently away in our Kon-tiki on our first trip!:Smile: Unfortunatley our kitchen tap has a leak so bad that even with the tap closed it still leaks!!:shout: As such we have had to switch off the water pump, so no water, no toilet!!!:cry:Thank goodness we have water right outside and the shower block 2 min walk away! My hubby says he will have a look when we can back but my main question is, is it likely to be the washer (and how do I get to it?) or do we need a complete new tap?

Kind Regards
Katie xx

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi devondumpling

We had the same problem with a mixer tap in our bathroom, water was leaking from the body of the tap as soon as the pump was turned on. We were told that the Reich taps were non repairable and so purchased a replacement which cost £50+:cry:
We then found out that you can purchase an internal cartridge for £16.99 on e-bay.:thumb:
As SWMBO did not want to trust my DIY skills we asked Mark of C.L.S. to have a look at it whilst at the Stratford show. Mark took the tap apart and fitted the new cartridge and hey presto all was well again. Just make sure you order the correct diameter cartridge and it should be a relatively easy repair.:winky:

Link Removed

Last edited:

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi Katie
Once had the same problem having forgotten to drain down after a winter weekend. I disconnected the damaged bathroom tap from it's supply pipes and put bungs in the connections (you can get them from caravan/motorhome outlets) or use dowel. This enabled the use of other taps, shower, kitchen sink, etc. Just thought if you were on the road????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

devondumpling

Deleted User
Hi, thanks everyone!
Does anyone know how to get the tap off please? Mike has tried but to no avail, please help!!!!:thumb:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, thanks everyone!
Does anyone know how to get the tap off please? Mike has tried but to no avail, please help!!!!:thumb:
If it's the same as mine, there will be a small plastic disc (possibly showing blue and red for hot and cold) on the tap. This disc can be gently prised off with a small screwdriver to reveal a screw underneath. Loosen this and the top of the tap will lift off. You then need to undo the nut on the top to get at the inner cartridge.

Phil

OP
OP
D

devondumpling

Deleted User
Hi there,
we have got the plastic disc off and there doesn't seem to have a screw in there! Not that we can see anyway! I think we may need a new tap!:cry:Link Removed

There doesn't seem to be any thread inside to indicate a screw, thought I may use an allen key but that's no good either, do you need a special tool?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Devondumpling

Our tap had an Allen headed screw, cant remember the size. Remove this screw and the top lever comes off. Next step is to unscrew the top collar. Once this is removed you will need a large spanner or wrench to undo the nut which holds the cartridge in position. Remove the cartridge and fit the new one making sure the locating lugs are in their correct position. Then put it all back together and keep fingers and everything else crossed when you turn on the pump.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi all!

We are currently away in our Kon-tiki on our first trip!:Smile: Unfortunatley our kitchen tap has a leak so bad that even with the tap closed it still leaks!!:shout: As such we have had to switch off the water pump, so no water, no toilet!!!:cry:Thank goodness we have water right outside and the shower block 2 min walk away! My hubby says he will have a look when we can back but my main question is, is it likely to be the washer (and how do I get to it?) or do we need a complete new tap?
Kind Regards
Katie xx

Hi Katie,

If you still having problems, give Glenn or Ian a ring and pick their brains:thumb:

Peter

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi there,
we have got the plastic disc off and there doesn't seem to have a screw in there! Not that we can see anyway! I think we may need a new tap!:cry:Link Removed

There doesn't seem to be any thread inside to indicate a screw, thought I may use an allen key but that's no good either, do you need a special tool?

you will only see the screw if the lever is in the correct position ie turn the lever until it lines up with the screw.

paradocs

Free Member
Feb 2, 2008
Water Stratford, Bucks.
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi there,

You may need to move the mixer lever up/down to reveal the grub screw with allen head. Once unscrewed, pull the top off and you will see a nut around the inside of the tap, this may need nipping up as sometimes this loosens and leaks through the centre of the plastic mixer control and hopefully save you ££££££££'s :thumb:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Assuming you can get the tap apart, have a look at this on eBay

Link Removed

I bought two of these recently (yes, that is why I know how to dismantle the taps - both taps in the shower room taps were leaking:Doh:) from this company and was very impressed with the speed of service. My taps aren't Reich but these inserts fitted perfectly - check the diameter and height against your existing one.

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back