Spiders (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
When we were out in our MH I noticed quite a few very tiny orangey brown coloured spiders and little webs around the windscreen and dashboard. Obviously baby ones but where are the big ones that's what worries me ! The MH is used a lot so it's not standing around. What is best way to get rid of them? We have squished some and cleared the little webs but they keep appearing. I have heard that if you put a few conkers around it discourages spiders but that's not worked.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I read somewhere that peppermint oil keeps them away. But the same article said conkers too, so wouldn't put much confidence in that advice :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Had the same in my daily used car. Almost a monthly clean up of webs and spiders. Unfortunately nothing worked until I caught Ma 'n' Pa. well ma anyway unless I had 2 females.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Some spiders in the past years seems to be absolutely massive.
One in the office the other day almost the size of the diameter of a pint glass, I never recall them being that big when I was young.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Catch with a glass and card and release them away from your vehicle or home, but don't kill them!

They do a sterling job of catching and eating all the bugs and mites, that live where we live.

They are your friends not your enemies!

Live with them, they will not hurt you and are more frightened of you, than you are of them!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...-Warning-Giant-House-Spiders-Homes-Garages-UK

They recommend giving them a name and pretending they are a pet, apparently it helps you to learn to live with them!

:cooler:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
There are plenty of places OUTSIDE of our personal environments where they can make a home !!
If I find any trapped in the outside sink or containers , I assist them in their escape. And I am grateful for their occupation of the sheds and greenhouse and I leave them alone.
BUT, if they come into my living space, they go to meet their maker. !!
Simples.
Sorry.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I did "re-locate" ma 'n' pa. But did give them a quick "flying lesson" on the way. Not sure if they ever re grouped or found new partners as I threw them on separate days. Same location though

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I don't think conkers or peppermint kills them. In fact I'm sure they won't. But if they don't like the smell (it's the chestnut oil in conkers) they will move on to somewhere else.

I am quite happy with the spiders myself but the webs and poop can be a nuisance.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have Boris 1 and Boris 2 in our wing mirrors, great fun watching them rush back behind the glass as the speed increases.:LOL:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
From experience I can assure you that conkers do not work. Don't worry about Mum and Dad, Mum died shortly after producing the kids and Dad was probably eaten by Mum..........................live and let live Eh!!

The Tinca's

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sat up in bed the other night watching a film when something hit me on the head.
Jumped up to see a large spider just sliding under my top pillow.

What film were you watching i hear you ask..........

ARACHNOPHOBIA !!!!

:Eeek:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
It seems few on here are aware how people with Arachnophobia
do react to the whole subject and while it may seem funny to post pictures etc perhaps it would be kinder not to.:)(y)(y)

Any Insecticide will kill most of them
here's my solution;
Indoors sorry it's the hoover. outdoors do as they like.

There are also Electronic spider deterrents available some friends
have them.
SEE
Amazon

Reports on their efficiency vary but many people swear by them.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sat up in bed the other night watching a film when something hit me on the head.
Jumped up to see a large spider just sliding under my top pillow.

What film were you watching i hear you ask..........

ARACHNOPHOBIA !!!!

:Eeek:

O M G.

images

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Red Funnel web? anyone? Don`t sit down without checking!!. SWMBO Hates them. I spend hours catching and disposing of them. I reckon its "woman thing"?

pete

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I've had them on my wing mirrors, ok up to 50mph , any faster they disappear backwards very quickly. Amazing strength holding on at speed though.
Cheers, Dave

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi

Red Funnel web? anyone? Don`t sit down without checking!!. SWMBO Hates them. I spend hours catching and disposing of them. I reckon its "woman thing"?

pete

In our house it's the other way round. I'm the one standing in the opposite corner of the room keeping an eye on it in case it moves before SWMBO comes in with the glass and card to deal with it.

I have got better. I used to throw a wobbly with any spiders, large or small. Now its just those with big bodies or hairy legs that panic me!

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Nope sorry. Little black dots is spider poo. My pal used to get really upset when he polished his lovely 1960's WHITE Rover. He would go out to the garage after a few days and it was covered in the stuff.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, just look below any Web which was been there a while. And, goodness knows what they do with their grey waste...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Some spiders in the past years seems to be absolutely massive.
One in the office the other day almost the size of the diameter of a pint glass, I never recall them being that big when I was young.

Global warming.:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back