Thetford again (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We don't know whether we will have another chance to get away this year and there is about a litre of clean water and a blue tablet in the Thetford cassette. We know about draining all the main pipe systems down but is it likely to do any harm if we leave that small amount in the loo cassette over the winter?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would suggest no risk at all.
problems from freeze up's occur when there is nowhere for the freezing water to expand so it bursts pipes etc to get out
in a cassette there is ample room to expand, if it was full to the brim however it would proberbly burst or cause damage

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
problems from freeze up's occur when there is nowhere for the freezing water to expand so it bursts pipes etc to get out
in a cassette there is ample room to expand, if it was full to the brim however it would proberbly burst or cause damage
I agree, no risk.

Gary

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Good question as I was just thinking about the same thing. My idea was to leave it with a diluted solution of the 'blue' (2.5 ltrs) to keep it all fresh and ready to go.

Everything else is drained.

KG

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Never stop using the van, so we never drain it off. The only thing I have ever done, on the advice of an old friend who also has a motorhome, is to leave the tap levers open, halfway between hot and cold. When we lived in Yorkshire we had much harder Winters but never had any problems. Since we moved to Cornwall, the coldest it's been in three Winters was a very mild, short-lived frost. Love it!

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Occasionally I've forgotten to empty ours after the last trip of the year. It has never taken any harm in Winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I always leave the 1 -2 litres of water and Blue in the waste holding tank and the remains that cannot be drained out of the filler tank with pink. Have for the last 10 + years of having the folding camper without any snags. Leaves the tanks fresher, plus I am not sure if Blue / pink can freeze. If it can, still no worries plenty of space for the water to expand. Remember to lube the seals.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
silicon spray to lube seals they sell a thetford one
Yeah, Proprietary spray from Thetford. Never really used anything but proprietary products for anything blue for the loo, pink for the flush, green for the grey tank. Maybe why I'm broke:rolleyes: or could that be cos I've just bought a new unit arriving in 5 weeks:clap:. Seriously, I could single handedly keep all manufacturers in business. I am the salesman's dream. Spray for your shoes Sir, Hell yes. Insurance for that pice of equipment that your house policy already covers, hell yes.

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

My thoughts exactly... Whoever heard of a pipe bursting from water on the outside ? Water freezes and expands. If it has room to expand it cant do much harm.

That said I cant think of even a tiny reason to leave any water in it. Or anywhere else for that matter (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
When tugging, we had a tap in the caravan freeze and split. Didnt discover it until away, total avoidable pain in the a**e! As said, why risk it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks again to all who have responded.
Asked out of interest to know the likely risk; we hope to still have the occasional day out but David is waiting for his operation date. We may then only have a couple of days' notice and not be able to get out to Addie to sort out the cassette. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back