pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, We both have no dependants apart from two dogs, we fancy living in our motorhome but worried about working, A fun member has suggested us both being wardens at a site, as long as we have enough money too feed us and the dogs this sounds good, has anyone done this? nade and steve.:cautious:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you are one of the special breed that can cope with people doing everything wrong and blaming you. If you have the patience and thick skin of a Tortoise and lack the ambition to actually drive your motorhome, then you have all the credentials needed to be a warden or am I being unfair?
Alan

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
If you are one of the special breed that can cope with people doing everything wrong and blaming you. If you have the patience and thick skin of a Tortoise and lack the ambition to actually drive your motorhome, then you have all the credentials needed to be a warden or am I being unfair?
Alan
have you been a warden? sounds ok to me as I get the blame for everything but my wife would not be ok with verbal abuse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I think most of the warden abuse is in the virtual world, most wouldn't dare say anything to cc wardens, just moan about them behind their back :D
Never done it myself but if you got a seasonal site assume could work Uk summer and head to Europe for the winter.
I'm sure there are funsters who do it so should be able to get info.
Good luck :)

Another idea I have wondered about dog walking and sitting at sites probably abroad.
Maybe get a perm pitch and negotiate a dog sitting walking services with site, something a lot of dog owners would use when they want to head out dog free on occasions?

Last edited by a moderator:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Yes, we did this in France few years ago. It was just a small site so easy really. We made some good friends and enjoyed a season. We took the attitude if we get unfair grief we can always drive away as we weren't dependent on the pay. Free pitch, EHU, use of pool, chance to improve language. We went off site on days off to stay on Aires in local towns and villages. I have worked previously on a busy campsite in the lakes for several years - doing administration so had some experience. Doesn't have to be CC or C&CC, look on UK campsites click on the "with job vacancy" link. Lots looking for next year staff. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi there,

We've done 4 summers on Camping in the forest sites (part of c&cc). On the plus side compared to a lot of independent sites you are paid an hourly wage (albeit minimum) for 40 hours a week, plus your pitch.

It can be boring at quiet times and hard work when it's busy and then there are the public ;) I have to say I enjoyed more than I didn't and 90% of the customers were lovely.

As a way to have a relatively stress free (compared to previous careers) job to supplement out travels it worked well for us.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Depends on the campsite that you get. Even in cc sites, they have had to clean cr@p off the showers.
Some have a constant flow of campers, others are horrendously busy at weekends, then much quieter in the week.
I did the fun meets in the summer but really enjoyed the job :)
Perhaps you need to try it for a season to seductive how it goes,?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We've just done 3 seasons on a privately owned campsite, only cleaning tho for 2 hours per day each. That gave us a free pitch, EHU, Gas & laundry. We could also do other jobs, ie; mowing/gardening, etc for a few pennies!
We did go to a CC recruitment day a few years ago, lots of 'stuff' to learn and role play, etc. their wardens work a full day/week, get a proper wage but you are on call 24 hrs. We didn't fancy it, working all day!
There are a lot of lower key campsite/warden jobs out there, look at UK Campsites & Caravan Jobfinder on Internet. A lot of them offer a wage as well as pitch etc.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Theres always a good selection of vacancies on uk campsite as already suggested, look on the BHHPA jobs a well. Always worth looking at the customer reviews of the site and you'll get a feel for the place. Ive been lucky to have worked on 2 sites that want to provide the best service to their customers so will allow the appropriate time to do the work. This then normally reflects the positive customer feedback (well most of the time as you can't please everyone)

Depends if you need the money to live on or just need a top up so to speak. Theres always plenty of places looking for cleaners for a couple of hours a day that will provide a pitch with electric and access to other site amenities but nothing as pay or very little, not something that would suit everyone but theres a lot of people this suits just fine.

During the winter you may find a site looking for caretakers. Most times the sites are closed and they just want someone to be on site and lookout for any problems. Again some will pay but most will provide a pitch etc.

We would normally look for a site that pays but we look at it that as the site fees are the most expensive monthly outgoing if we can save that it all helps.

Now is when you need to be looking for the best sites as they will be trying to grab the best wardens for next season. keep your eyes out for the same sites that keep advertising again and again. Think to yourself why are these people leaving.

There will be a lot of sites looking for wardens in the spring because the ones they thought they'd got get stolen by another site.

Are you happy to have loads of screaming kids around, as they do. If not look for a adults only site.

Do you both want to have the same days of each week as some want cover 7 days a week so you don't get much time together.

Ive just finished 4 years as warden on the same site in Scotland. Some of the hardest work I've done in my life, and us Motorhomes can be some of the worst customers there are so demanding and all that ha ha.

And if you do just do the summers you can head of across the channel for the winter. Thats just where we'll be heading in the next few weeks.

Cheers Shawn.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Can I hire a rhino hide suit to you for the summer. from what I see on here you might need it.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Can I hire a rhino hide suit to you for the summer. from what I see on here you might need it.
I don't need it, trouble is cos I can look after myself I wont get a job as a warden, mind you could that be discrimination in the lovely world we live in today?:rolleyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you enjoy working 12 - 15 hours a day for peanuts, no holidays, no days off, taking flak from Joe public day in day out, cleaning filthy showers, unblocking toilets, being out in the rain, being called out at midnight to reset an EHU .. then up at 8am to deal with the next batch of moaners.. .. yeah.. go for it .. (y)

sorry.. not for me.. we looked at doing it when full time until we saw the wages and conditions..

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
sorry I will do that again, I have a alternative image which bothers folks, on our hols last week we booked a night at a place called la casa near Grimsby, after talking for a while and booking a pitch for 1 night we expected a warm welcome, How opinions can change! My wife met our host first as I was walking the dogs, she was looking for a quick escape when the dogs and I came back, I have a beard and long hair ,
If you enjoy working 12 - 15 hours a day for peanuts, no holidays, no days off, taking flak from Joe public day in day out, cleaning filthy showers, unblocking toilets, being out in the rain, being called out at midnight to reset an EHU .. then up at 8am to deal with the next batch of moaners.. .. yeah.. go for it .. (y)

sorry.. not for me.. we looked at doing it when full time until we saw the wages and conditions..

Now I can see why there is so many jobs as wardens,

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
It's a miracle any campsites have staff judging by some of these posts :whistle:

We've seen both sides working (briefly) on an independent site for peanuts where they expected the world and a bit more, then as previously stated working on a site where you're contracted and paid for your 40 hours for 4 seasons (on 2 different sites). We did not very often have to work extra hours but we got them back in the very quiet periods anyway.

Was it well paid? No, but the lack of stress most of the time compared to previous much, much better paid work and short contracts made it worth while for us. We also quite enjoyed being minions and just doing what we were told instead of being the ones doing that and making all the decisions. Of course the odd a*****e and the odd hideous discovery in the facilities is part of the job, but for us a small part of it.

We found as campsite assistants like the rest of life mostly you get back what you give out, so if you welcome people with a smile and try to be helpful and not too intrusive most campers were lovely and we had lots of laughs. Of course there's reviews that will tell you another story but it's amazing how some people think that safety doesn't matter and being loud and drunk all night is perfectly acceptable when everyone else is trying to sleep ;) Luckily these instances were few and far between for us. It really depends which site you are on as the clientele does vary somewhat :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had a stint with the CC,it was good,the worst bit was chasing away two louts who just drove onto site and were having a nosey ? We looked at it as a form of early retirement,just for the summer,then off travelling. The house prices started leaping up out of all proportion,in truth i missed going exploring in the lorry and the fun,so ,it was a ready made excuse to bail out.
It is like all jobs, some people will like it,others not ,the plus of being flexible is ,you can walk away from it if you cannot hack it,and if you enjoy it... jobs a good 'un,sorted.
Tea Bag

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I agree Teabag

We do it so we can travel in the winter and we have good days and bad days doing the job but if you are thinking about doing the job it's a good forum to read but take everything with a pinch of salt what you read .

It's no longer a semi retirement role its full on job.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I agree Teabag

We do it so we can travel in the winter and we have good days and bad days doing the job but if you are thinking about doing the job it's a good forum to read but take everything with a pinch of salt what you read .

It's no longer a semi retirement role its full on job.

Hi.
Lucky you,the worst bit was when a lady came to stay,(there were two fields of semi sited c/vans,but they had to be off for 2 weeks/28 days,i don't remember,a clause to do with the council/planning ?) booked them off site and onto the touring pitches. She was a Nurse !LOL,NO not Gadys Emmanual...Damn. and she cooked Egg and Bacon breakfast every morning... "Your BARRED!" sprang to mind while doing the early rounds .
At weekends in the summer,there where invites to any number of BBQ's,the ladies would bring home made cakes,the men beer or wine,it made Hi de Hi look tame. So what do you have to do, cut some grass on a state of the art ride on mower,book people in and out,clean the toilets.... Once they are truly clean,it is easy to keep them clean all the time. Being an early riser,i would be out 05.45,do the bins,then toilets,walk around to see all the vans/m/homes (m/h ? being PC LOL!) were all ok,take the growler then breakfast. That brings me back to the "Egg and Bacon Nurse",getting back to the unit,my saliva glands working ovetime due to the aroma of nursies egg and bacon,first wife would have my.......... Weetibangs ? ready, for me to drench them in ice cold milk and dig in heartily...NOT! LOL.
Best of luck to you,you are obviously on top of the job,power to you elbow.
Tea Bag

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We do have a good laugh and there maybe a book one day lol we get loads of cakes and chocs + wine given for helping people out but never sure what I have done for them.

This maybe our last season as we miss touring in the summer and to be honest its a business now not a club so it's time to move on .

The link I posted is a great place to find out any gossip as its posted there first by the staff the clubs don't like the forum :D:LOL:

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, We both have no dependants apart from two dogs, we fancy living in our motorhome but worried about working, A fun member has suggested us both being wardens at a site, as long as we have enough money too feed us and the dogs this sounds good, has anyone done this? nade and steve.:cautious:
I employ two wardens and have done for the 2016 season onwards. . There's lots of work, good weather, bad weather. Great customers and some not so great. On the whole very rewarding but does make you enjoy your winters, (six months off)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back