Advice on scooter (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are thinking of buying a scooter for the two of us to use when motorhoming. It will be kept in the motorhome garage so needs to be no more than 1120mm high to get it in. Not going on long journeys on it - just sightseeing and shops and doubt that it will ever be used in the rain or dark. Probably 100cc to 125cc engine with auto gearbox and electric start. I have a full bike licence but have not ridden for over 40 years.

Has anybody got any advice on whether it is sensible and anything I should look out for please, especially given my lack of riding experience.

Looking at Suzuki Address or Honda Vision or Sym Symply. Has anybody got any experience of these or suggestions for others to look at? The Sym looks much cheaper, but is it any good? I was hoping to buy a secondhand one, although there don't seem to many about - anything I should look for?

I guess I will be loading it into the motorhome with one of those ali folding ramps that can be bought on Ebay. Is it difficult to push the bike up into the garage? I was thinking of having wheel holders front and back and a couple of straps over handlebars and saddle to hold it down, unless there are any other ways? Is that sufficient to hold it do you think?

Has anybody got one they no longer need?

Any and all advice would be welcome.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Hi, we use a 125cc sym symphony. The rating of back axle is main issue for us, the extra load of scooter took us to the limit and necessitated an axle upgrade. As the bike is behind the axle it will add more than its own weight to rear axle and take same off front axle. The height of the door may be less than the bike, as you push up the ramp front wheel drops into garage first, ( we have a small lip), allowing bike into garage which will need to be full bike height. We take mirrors off before loading. Our ramp is 2 metres long and bike pushes up fine. Some have an issue with smell of petrol in bed that is usually over the garage, for others its not an issue. Tie down, we have straps on handle bars going forward and down, on rear we have straps from grab handles going back and down. Its firmly held.
We wouldnt be without ours now.
Good luck, Martin n Sandra

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, that is exactly the sort of info I need. We have no problem with the axle loading I think. The new Hymer we are getting can load up to 450kg in the garage.

Were you experienced bikers or coming at it after a long layoff like me?

How do you like the Symphony? It is certainly cheaper than the other two, but not many second hand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd suggest you go and have a shuftie at an actual bike shop first - you might find that you don't like them, some people don't! Also, as you've been out of the bike/scooter scene for so long it might be an idea to see if your local CBT people can help you before you take the plunge - they may have a scooter/bike you can try to see if you are still confident on them, especially since you're wanting to have a pillion passenger on which will change the handling characteristics.

Also check what weight limit your garage has as well as what capacity you have left on your rear axle as you may get a shock!

Also, check out the cost of insurance ... it isn't cheap nowadays!

There are lots of bikes/scooters out there, we've had Yamaha Vitys and Sym VS125s and whilst the Yamaha was good to manoeuvre as it was relatively light especially for needing to push it in/out of the garage etc, as it had smaller wheels/frame it was more 'bobbly' and not so easy to ride; the Sym was an absolute dream to ride due to the bigger/wider wheels and being a heavier bike was more stable, but would probably be too big for your needs and wouldn't be the easiest to push into a garage. For us the Sym was better quality and they do have a good reputation too.

Some people have gone for the Honda Innova 125 which is a modern 'grandad bike' style (remember the old Honda 50/70/90s? They have larger wheels and a comfy riding position, when needing to push them (ie to put in a MH garage) they are easy to manoeuvre as they weigh just unded 100kg! They are still quite stylish but without lots of the superfluous cosmetics to damage/scrape/get in the way/take up space.

May be worth considering.

http://www.autoevolution.com/moto/honda-anf-125-innova-2004.html#aeng_honda-anf-125-innova-2006-125

https://www.gumtree.com/motorbikes-scooters/uk/honda+innova+125

Last edited:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I like the symphony fine for what it is, but after a Honda Pan 1100cc its a bit slow, and you do notice the potholes. Returned to bikes about 10 years ago, at which time I had some training with IAM ( Institute for advanced motorists) ,my wife says it made a difference! Our Hymer has 350kg load for the garage, but with 120kg of bike, inc helmets top box and straps, plus a few other bits we were right on the rear axle limit, but well under the 350kg load for the garage! There is a calculator somewhere for working out what your rear axle load will be for a given bike weight a given distance behind the axle, perhaps a google search or a fellow funster can provide it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just one further comment ... if you DO decide you want a bike/scooter then now is a very good time to buy due to it being 'out of season' ... once the better weather arrived around spring the prices will rise.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Mel. I hadn't thought of the Innova but I will have a look at that too. But can't seem to find it in the Honda site any more. Maybe it is no longer sold here. But looking at the ads I think it iis geared and I really want a twist and go auto. Will have enough to worry about without having to change gear.

I wonder if motor bike dealers allow test rides and can loan me a helmet? As I said in previous post my garage is rated at 450kg so lots to spare.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks Mel. I hadn't thought of the Innova but I will have a look at that too. But can't seem to find it in the Honda site any more. Maybe it is no longer sold here. But looking at the ads I think it iis geared and I really want a twist and go auto. Will have enough to worry about without having to change gear.

I wonder if motor bike dealers allow test rides and can loan me a helmet? As I said in previous post my garage is rated at 450kg so lots to spare.
The Innova has gears but an automatic clutch. As you push the gear lever with your foot the clutch is automatically disengaged making it almost as easy as a twist and go.

We have used the Innova all over Europe for about ten years. A cracking little bike.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If your looking at the Innova you may as look at Honda 90 Cubs too
Pretty much the same engine ( ok, so 30cc smaller but that is no biggy ) and the way it all works just a lot cheaper and a LOT lighter ! ( well over 20 kilos )

Apart from that, as Minxy suggested, I would seriously book a CBT or at the very least an hours assessment and refresher

Its a dangerous world out there on bikes.. but with a bit of a brush up you will be fine :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I may be wrong, (I often am), but I believe that the Honda 90 Cub only had three gears compared to the Innovas four. It makes a big difference.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you are interested in the Honda Innova (seems to be a good choice) watch this video... its an hour and a half long!........... but really entertaining and made me want one

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nahhhhh... maybe the third gear does in a 4 speed.. But our old 90 still did 30 in 2nd up hill :)
Just fit a rear sprocket with a extra tooth or two !

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK, and thanks for all the answers. After all your advice I have learnt a lot.

I will be arranging to go on a Back to Biking course before I make any decisions. Left a message on their answerphone and waiting a call back. And when I pick up the new motorhome I will go the nearest weighbridge and check my axle weights, to see what I have got to play with at the back. And I will consider the Honda Innova and its later form the Wave, but still worried about gear changing with my feet - I was a Mod and used to twist grip gear change.

But I still need some more advice.

I will be using straps front and rear to hold it down in the garage, but should I also use wheel holders at each end as well? Or should I just put it on its stand?

What is better for balancing (which may be my biggest problem) - smaller (scooter) or larger (Innova) wheels?

Finally I looked at the Paiggio MP3 with two wheels at the front. Looks good in case I am a bit dodgy with my balance. But, assuming I can take the weight, are there any pitfalls? And are there any other alternative makes?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you can clamp/tie the wheels down then yo will only have to secure the rest of the bike to stop it falling over. Other than that it's best to load the suspension up with straps and clamp the front brake with something.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Finally I looked at the Paiggio MP3 with two wheels at the front. Looks good in case I am a bit dodgy with my balance. But, assuming I can take the weight, are there any pitfalls? And are there any other alternative makes?
If you are a bit unsteady in the balance department even that wont help.
They still pivot and lean into corners in the same way a two wheeler does.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Or should I just put it on its stand?
NOoooooo

Never transport a bike on its stand.
Any severe road bumps could put too much pressure on the stand legs and either break them or shove them through the garage floor.
Always tie down so the suspension takes the strain and the bike can still move up and down very slightly to remove any stress.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Bigger wheels are better for balance, riding over bumps and potholes. Never strap down on centre stand, as others have said, strap the wheels to stop movement and then higher up to stop falling over.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are a bit unsteady in the balance department even that wont help.
They still pivot and lean into corners in the same way a two wheeler does.
I am thinking more when I stop at traffic lights and the like. I understand that you can lock the mechanism at a push of a button and it automatically releases in excess of 10mph.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
When the speed drops to 5mph a light flashes and you can then push a button to lock the tilt angle. That is exactly what it does, locks the tilt angle, so whatever angle the scooter is leaning at when you press the button, that is where it will be locked. I consider myself a reasonably experienced after 50+ years of riding but I still don't find it easy to stop perfectly upright and practically impossible with a pillion passenger moving round on the back.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not worried about perfectly upright, as long as I don't fall off because I forgot to put my foot down or couldn't hold the weight of the two of us when I did. I am sure that does not happen with you because you are an experienced biker, as is shown by your avatar. I am not though.

Just wondered if any other inexperienced riders have used these 3 wheel bikes

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The above comments were relating to trying to stop without putting your feet down. You could of course stop first, straighten the scooter up and then lock the tilt angle.
Edit: There is more danger of stopping at a junction and forgetting to press the lock button and falling over than stopping and forgetting to put your foot down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Edit: There is more danger of stopping at a junction and forgetting to press the lock button and falling over than stopping and forgetting to put your foot down.
Good point :). But I would still be interested to hear from inexperienced riders on it. And they are a lot heavier to hold up I guess than the lighter Innova or Wave.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh ...... decisions ...... decisions

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not worried about perfectly upright, as long as I don't fall off because I forgot to put my foot down or couldn't hold the weight of the two of us when I did. I am sure that does not happen with you because you are an experienced biker, as is shown by your avatar. I am not though.

Just wondered if any other inexperienced riders have used these 3 wheel bikes
To be perfectly honest if you need something to 'help' you stay upright on a bike then maybe it's not for you, inexperienced or not, being able to support a stationary bike yourself without assistance is a MAJOR requirement ... sometimes it isn't easy but it is a necessity. I have a full bike licence which I've had for yonks but I can't hold the weight of a bike when I have a pillion on so I don't take one ... not everyone can.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think I will take my proposed pillion passenger
Sounds like Angela has yet to learn about your new mode of transport

If she won't ride on the back you could always get a side car

image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!