laika (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I have an Econvip 7r on an 01 plate have had it just over 3 years and can't fault the build and quality, mine, like I suspect most is on a Fiat base. I would recommend them. (y)

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
thats nice to know david,,im looking at a couple next week,,what about motorhomedepot? any info on them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Yes that seems to be the main warning. But they do look nice, fixed bed nice fabric pattern etc. I hope to be impressed !!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Broken Link Removed[node]=5

309 for sale here..compare?

Broken Link Removed

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We had one on a FIAT base from new for 7 years and it behaved very well. I would recommend but, as with every second hand MH, take a damp meter with you when inspecting.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
thanks judge but i have seen a couple in mansfield that are a different shape,(no high front above cab) But i am happy that i havnt had many negatives about them,,and as for damp yj that is the first thing on my list,,im sticking my nose into customers old sheds,nooks and crannies and anything else that is damp,just training the nose before i whip my meter out and offend them all !! lol

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
very please with ours . Well built . Only issue was water ingress around the roof lights caused by a poor repair some where in its history.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
prob how long is a piece of string question but what sort of payload can they take,,i have a few tools,prob about 75 kgs and then just clothes etc,?

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
i wish i could contact the sellers directly !! they would prob get a bit more and i would have to pay a bit less ! shame..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wish i could contact the sellers directly !! they would prob get a bit more and i would have to pay a bit less ! shame..
to get those details you would need to run a parking company and pay dvla not available to honest citizens

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Had one (year 2000) for 5 years, only complaint was cupboard door in kitchen fell off, screws holding hinges to small, bigger screws no problem. Would certainly be on list if buying again

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a 1998 A class 200i bought back in March and find the Laika a very well designed and versatile Motorhome. It's based on a twin rear wheel Iveco chassis and is 3800kgs so you need to have your license pre 1997 but has a big payload and a max train weight of 7 ton so can tow a race shuttle.

It's a seven berth but more importantly has 5 individual beds so when my daughter and grandchildren come over in the summer, we were able to go away with everyone having their own bed. When they left and we headed of to Tuscanny, we folded the bottom bunk up and that converted the area into a garage big enough to hold our two bikes so no worries about them getting stolen or filthy.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Likewise the lounge area is cleverly thought out with a long settee on one side, and an L shape one on the other and with the removable steering wheel, both captains seats swivel right round giving you a lounge area the seats 10! However when the two of us go away, the long settee converts into a dining table and seats but still leaves a setee for lounging in.
image.jpg

A lot of thought also went into the drop down bed. When you initially lower it you can pull it out about a foot which, although it's still a double mattress, gives the person on the inside more height and more width keeping them away from the windscreen. It can also extend out even further to convert into a superking size bed , letting you sleep lengthwise rather than side to side. The optional kit to let you do this involved straps at either side but I was going to modify the ladder to support it, there is a steel bar the length of the bed, but as my wife said 'why bother?' as the bed as standard fits us, I'm 6'1' , and it would mean an extra mattress and time to put away. As it is, the bed and bedding is out the way in 5 seconds and we can be ready to roll in 30 seconds, a bit longer if we decide to get dressed first!!

Another plus if you are a walker or skier is, in the older ones with Truma heater, it sits below the wardrobe but this has a hinged base with a wire basket shelf below so if you come in with wet boots and gear, put them in the shelf and hang your jackets up and when you put the heater on you have an instant hot press.

So our thoughts would be Laika are a brand very much overlooked, but definitely worth having.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
They are a great well put together product, as I'm sure you'll know they are part of the Hymer Group.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We went to look at a S/H Laika in 2009 when we were first looking; the window in the front of the Luton wasn't sealed properly so it leaked and there was a moat all round the bed. Yes there had been torrential rain that afternoon - but clearly by the already dried out stains on the mattress - something - or somebody! - had leaked on it a good many times before!

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I didnt know they were part of the hymer group,thats sounds like a bonus with people always saying that the hymers are great!! Pictures look good as well,,i am looking at one that is on ebay now and its already in benidorm (saves the ferry cost)lol but we will see,its lovely in the pictures and im sure its good in real life but just a bit over budget,but nevertheless a genuine buy i think,,,once again,,many thanks to all,it is a daunting prospect buying my first mh and all the help and advice is greatly appreciated,i just hope it all sinks in !! cheers,,ian..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I didnt know they were part of the hymer group,thats sounds like a bonus with people always saying that the hymers are great!! Pictures look good as well,,i am looking at one that is on ebay now and its already in benidorm (saves the ferry cost)lol but we will see,its lovely in the pictures and im sure its good in real life but just a bit over budget,but nevertheless a genuine buy i think,,,once again,,many thanks to all,it is a daunting prospect buying my first mh and all the help and advice is greatly appreciated,i just hope it all sinks in !! cheers,,ian..

how would you register it and get all your stuff there:censored:

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
well it was taken from here judge,i think they went to buy a house and now there staying,its right hand drive and with a long mot,,,now as for my gear apart from some clothes i would be stuffed,it would prob cost me a fortune to take or have them shipped,,,I did think if i had it i would bring it back,load it up and then go again,or just do the winter in the sun and then get the stuff before i went to france? but i havnt commited to anything yet,,,,but good points,it did make me wonder !!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
well it was taken from here judge,i think they went to buy a house and now there staying,its right hand drive and with a long mot,,,now as for my gear apart from some clothes i would be stuffed,it would prob cost me a fortune to take or have them shipped,,,I did think if i had it i would bring it back,load it up and then go again,or just do the winter in the sun and then get the stuff before i went to france? but i havnt commited to anything yet,,,,but good points,it did make me wonder !!

fair enough but its a long way to go to check out a van...get the reg and look at MOT history on Dvla site.thats a start:)

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

if its well priced IE cheap may be worth a look. but if MOT lapsed would not touch with a barge pole unless brought home on a low loader..Caveat emptor (buyer beware)

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
yes,,i thought about that too !!! maybe a step to far at this stage,,,still hopefully i will be in a position to purchase something in 2 weeks or so,,so im not worried judge or in a rush yet,,as long as i have got one for the beginning of dec i will be fine i think,,then i can go away and ask everyone i meet what does this button,lever,switch do !! lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back