Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Like many my travelling options are restricted to school holidays, we were considering Ireland for a week in May but reading up on it and comments on here it is probably not the best place to take 9 and 11 year olds as it is mostly scenery and driving. I will tackle France one day but with only one week to play with we don't know if we would get far, again it could be all driving. Have you got any ideas where I could go and keep the little ones happy. France; Belgium; northern Spain?? it needs to be a good mix of scenery and things for the kids to see and do. I know England has it all but there is less sense of adventure, plus we have plenty of short breaks that fill our UK appetite.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
drive down to pottiers and take them to futurescope or paris for dysney? If its beaches you want they strech from ostende in belgium to dieppe in france virtually unbroken easy to do for a week

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you're based in Crawley (Sussex), France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg are all closer than Ireland !

To keep the kids happy www.duinrell.nl is a sure fire winner and a mere four hours from Calais.
You've got entertainments, swimming, woodland, it's close to the beach, great cycling, great public transport if you wanted day trips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We are in Breskens NL at the moment
DroomPark Schoneveld
Many safe cycle routes,swimming pool indoors.
No theam park but plenty of children here enjoying themselves.

Mel

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Le littoral Yelloh site in the Vendee you can drive down in a day comfortable nice site and cheap out of season, google it.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Le littoral Yelloh site in the Vendee you can drive down in a day comfortable nice site and cheap out of season, google it.
We only spent a couple of night here - my kids are very keen to go back, so it must be good !
Puy-du-Fou also nearby and I'd love to go again !!

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Thank's all for your input I will look into your suggestions. As for Khizzie, love the country (Wales) from the industrial south to the picturesque west up to the dramatic north and all the surprises in-between, so much in such a small country, problem is we have done that, both by tugger and hired motorhome. We will go back, been to the snowdon railway twice and let down both times by the weather but one day I will get up there. Absolutely love the drive through the Elan valley problem is wifey likes to see new places each trip, Norfolk is one we have never done but that is not all that far away and Cornwall just too busy during school holidays. Just done Scotland so that leaves countries near to us. I would also love to do the Dutch bulb fields, if the holidays fall at the right time perhaps that could be my option. Anyway, thanks again people of funsterland :cheers:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The D-Day beaches in Normandy are easy to do in a week. About 3 1/2 hours from Calais to Ouistreham, then short hops when you move on. Don't know about campsites but there are plenty of aires.

There's plenty to see, and if you go at the right time of year nice beaches although saying that we went in February and the weather was fantastic.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It depends on the ages of your children and how far they can travel before the "Are we there yet?" creeps into their conversation. A short trip to France and Wissant (8 miles from Calais) could be a pleasant surprise for all but the west coast of France has much to offer with its beaches and cycle tracks and the chance of warmer (drier) weather. Alan

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have spent two May half term holidays in Brittany.

Great weather the first time, lousy the next.

Nice place to visit though and lovely beaches.

Next year we have a couple of inset days around that half term holiday and might bomb it down to the Costa Brava for 6 nights or so.

Trouble is with all the driving you need a holiday when you get home.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Last half-term we went back to the Somme valley, short drive from Calais. Plenty of campsites, Aires etc around Le Crotoy or St Valery.

Great for cycling, trains etc

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
It depends on the ages of your children and how far they can travel before the "Are we there yet?" creeps into their conversation. A short trip to France and Wissant (8 miles from Calais) could be a pleasant surprise for all but the west coast of France has much to offer with its beaches and cycle tracks and the chance of warmer (drier) weather. Alan

Wissant is nice but don't know if it would hold kids attention very long if they couldn't get in the sea, not a lot for kids to do.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Don't waste your money on Disneyland Parc Asterix,Futurescope or Puy De Fou are vastly superior. Or in Holland De Efterling.
If in the Vendee for the Puy the squirrels is a great site (Broken Link Removed a nearby velorail.http://www.velorail-vendee.fr/
Or stay on the aire at Le Puy de Fou

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You don't have to go far into France..
We travel through every summer with grandkids aged 8 and 10 on route for a month in Spain. We have a couple of regular stops and free overnight Aires, next to play parks, one is a lake where they swim. If we had more time and their bikes we could easily do a week and keep them occupied.
Normandy ww2 beaches / museums may appeal. The 10 year old has asked me several times about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back