Why no UK laws on vehicle emergency kits (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just wondering if anyone knows why in this highly legislated health & safety mad country. We are still not required to carry all the emergency kit the Europeans have to. Including the spare glasses etc, jackets, bulbs, fire extinguishers etc etc. All sounds really sensible, so why not ???
CarTravelKit.jpg

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I suspect largely because mostly we carry one of these, which replaces the need for any item shown above:
View attachment 81762
Not sure an iPhone can replace a warning triangle a pair of spare glasses or a fire extinguisher.....and if its an iPhone it will probably have a flat battery or one very soon :party2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Just wondering if anyone knows why in this highly legislated health & safety mad country. We are still not required to carry all the emergency kit the Europeans have to. Including the spare glasses etc, jackets, bulbs, fire extinguishers etc etc. All sounds really sensible, so why not ???
View attachment 81761
Well. The law of averages says we should get at least one right... (y)

Deleted User
View attachment 81761

Are you complaining that we are a "health and safety mad country" or asking for more legislation?

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Are you complaining that we are a "health and safety mad country" or asking for more legislation?
Just asking why the UK has not adopted the rest of the EU's sensible approach to carrying emergency kit.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Often surprise me so few people carry hi vis in case of emergencies - very few carry a triangle

All our vehicle carry the following
Hi- vis for all occupants
First aid kit - been used for others in trouble !!
Fire extinguisher - been used to help others
Warning triangles min 2
All our number plates are euro compliant with the GB bit

on my motor always carry ( I am the only one to travel over seas)
beam benders
Breathalysers
spare driving glasses (I am the only one that needs them)

Waste of time carrying spare bulbs - they are all LEDs these days

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Often surprise me so few people carry hi vis in case of emergencies - very few carry a triangle

All our vehicle carry the following
Hi- vis for all occupants
First aid kit - been used for others in trouble !!
Fire extinguisher - been used to help others
Warning triangles min 2
All our number plates are euro compliant with the GB bit

on my motor always carry ( I am the only one to travel over seas)
beam benders
Breathalysers
spare driving glasses (I am the only one that needs them)

Waste of time carrying spare bulbs - they are all LEDs these days
Yes used the hi VI's jackets and warning triangle when the car broke down on a corner on a single track country road :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just asking why the UK has not adopted the rest of the EU's sensible approach to carrying emergency kit.
Perfectly simple. Those referred to earlier on another thread as paranoid ranters would be up in arms about their freedoms being eroded :LOL:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Just to add to your list of things other countries insist you have with you when driving.

In the 1980's the UAE required you to have your Driving Licence on you and that had to show your Blood Group.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Spare bulbs? Your not exempt with led's they do fail but, have you tried changing a bulb on most modern vehicles, many require the removal of large pieces of bodywork, I had to change a drl on our Hymer this weekend, it was possible but, not exactly easy!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Spare bulbs? Your not exempt with led's they do fail but, have you tried changing a bulb on most modern vehicles, many require the removal of large pieces of bodywork, I had to change a drl on our Hymer this weekend, it was possible but, not exactly easy!

Apart from the fact that we don't have the police coverage to do it I suspect this is one of the reasons why there are so many one eyed cars about these days. Its not a 2 min fix on the side of the road any more.

Likewise with LED units they are not LED bulbs they are units and to carry around a spare set would be seen as unrealistic and for most to change them would be impossible without workshop experience.

meggie

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
milford haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8y
We are by lew have to carry a frist aid kit and fire extinguisher in our taxi but not aloud to use them just in case we get sued the world gone mad

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Having been on the continent, I had a spare bulb set in my car. So when I turned on my headlamps at my mothers house, and I noticed that there was a headlamp out, no problem I thinks.
2 Hours later, after removing the wheel, the inner arch (and all associated fittings) then removing the rear of the headlamp assembly through a hole only a gynaecologist would normally work through, I finally replaced the headlamp bulb. Interesting that it is not compulsory to carry a jack, since on my car it is not possible to replace the headlamp bulb without one!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Just because it is not legally required does not, of course, prevent the sensible motorist carrying what s/he deems to be the most useful kit - you should see the stuff I carry just in case (much of it probably comes from being a coach driver in an earlier life!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I suspect largely because mostly we carry one of these, which replaces the need for any item shown above:
View attachment 81762

If I ever cut an artery in a roadside incident I will try using my IPhone as a plaster to stem the blood......:D:D

There will likely be instructions in the far King useless app ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If I ever cut an artery in a roadside incident I will try using my IPhone as a plaster to stem the blood......:D:D

There will likely be instructions in the far King useless app ?
You could always dial 999, much more useful if one has severed an artery than a plaster! :D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You could always dial 999, much more useful if one has severed an artery than a plaster! :D

And sit there in the knowledge I'm going to bleed to death long before the medics arrive ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You see this is why I hate poor legislation.

Having appropriate safety equipment in your vehicle (and knowing how to use it) is common sense.
Having a law to say you must have said gear is pointless without the sense of how & when to use it. Benefits those who sell it and encourages the blame culture when it doesn't prevent damage or injury... then the insurance to cover that...

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Considering the lack of police and ambulance cover due to cutbacks, it could be a long game of candy crush....

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Having appropriate safety equipment in your vehicle (and knowing how to use it) is common sense.
Having a law to say you must have said gear is pointless without the sense of how & when to use it. Benefits those who sell it and encourages the blame culture when it doesn't prevent damage or injury... then the insurance to cover that...
So how do most of the EU manage ? Are they more intelligent drivers ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Does the "rest of the EU" have better "results" because of their laws - however that might be measured.
Are there less accidents or injuries because of this compulsory kit?
I don't know.
If yes then there might be a case but I'd still prefer the ' best advice' or public education route before rushing out nto yet more legislation.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi viz and warning triangle is sensible, the rest is pointless.

Bulbs- are there any on a car that need replacing so urgently that you would do it at the side of the road in the dark? Nope thought not.

Fire extinguisher- if my car catches fire it can burn, I won't be going near it with a piddly little extinguisher, I'll be up wind calling the fire brigade.

Don't understand the point of DIY breathalysers, if you are the sort of person to drive after drinking then you won't use them and even if you did you would ignore the result.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
It could undoubtedly be an advantage to you, I or another in the event of a mishap on the road to have some, if not most, of the gear listed Campacola you are right.

If government makes it a requirement, next thing you know all cars sold have it in the boot. That's what has happened in many countries.

Have a commercial lobby anxious to keep costs down and a political climate given to the Laissez-faire and you have our empty boots.

As to the nonsense that it is somehow because of the paranoid defender's of freedom?:LOL: why would they care if it cost a few extra quid to put a car on the forecourt?

Dick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

(and knowing how to use it) is common sense.

that'd rule out about 20 million drivers.:LOL:

So how do most of the EU manage ? Are they more intelligent drivers ?
No we have fines.:LOL:
Driving van & no fire ext.= fine
driving car & no fire ext = ok
driving car & towing & having no fire ext= fine
No 2 warning triangles = fine
not placing warning triangles in road at the requisite distance ( which vary according to the roads speed limit ) =fine
No reflective vests = fine
Get out without wearing one, & that includes yer dog = fine.
First aid kit in van obligatory but not car unless towing.
fire ext in van obligatory
Best money maker they used to have was the " failure to stop " when there was an accident & "failure to offer assistance"
etc;etc.
Are there less accidents or injuries because of this compulsory kit?
I don't know.
Not here there isn't
At major public holidays, Easter; Christmas, Summer getaway ( July-August) or "Operation Straits" , that's the annual exodus of Arabs across To Morocco & runs from June until September there are 000's of additional Trafico units on the road . Doesn't make the slightest difference. We even get daily & /or weekend casualty/death rates - No one takes the slightest notice unless they know someone who it has affected. Just becomes like the weather or news.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Because no one in his or her right mind wishes to go mincing off down a duel carriageway to bu**er about with a blow over triangle! It breaks down, I want out, with everyone else, and well out of the way of any half asleep Polish trucker. Wearing high viz dosent stop you being run over, however, it does help when their searching for your corpse. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back