Closed people on 1939 Register- a question (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Has anyone bought vouchers to view the details of a household on the 1939 register ?

Are the " closed people" in the Search shown in detail when you actually buy the household details ? Some of mine would be well over 100 years old so should not be " closed".

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
They are not shown in the details. I find the site to be full of errors. As an example, my grandfather who would have been around 120 years old if he were still alive today, is featured as a 'closed' person, whereas my father, who was a 12 year-old schoolboy in 1939, is shown. My in-laws, who would both have been over 100 now, are not shown at all and, because they would have been the only people living in the household in 1939, I am unable to locate them at all. Also, there is a transcription error in the occupations of my other grandfather and his sister. She is shown as a 'Master Tailor' and he as a 'Weaver,' whereas it should be the other way round. All these errors and I have only searched a handful of households. Be aware before buying vouchers!

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Many thanks. I'm finding it frustrating as well. So many people that I KNOW where they were but can't find them or, as you say, I know they have to be dead but still " closed". Shame they couldn't cross reference it with the BMD registers and allow anyone who is dead to appear.

I was so looking forward to it but I don't think it's added anything to my research. Expensive too for a lot of maps, newspapers etc that you could get elsewhere or don't want.

I shall not buy any vouchers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've been off and on, when I feel like it, following my mothers line.

"Yeh! lets see who is in the woodwork today"

Found "David" a Mason, several weeks ago, well more like months ago, this sort of sorts out the 1700s. A Great Nephew lecturing in Edinburgh has nailed the old fella.

But! I keep getting these Emails saying "HEY Johnno! This weekend is on US! Free!
So do I use the FREE w/ends, or buy some more credits ?

I'm not sort of into this thing wholesale MUST FIND MY ANCESTORS!!! MUST! MUST!
No! If I feel like it;) I'll give it a go, Not interested in following anything except the direct line, I find it relaxing chasing the old girls relos, when I feel like it. no hurry !

The old fella? still a lot to know! His Granddad Emigrated to NZ He was born in NZ.
He sold Chocolate! He was a hard rock Miner! He had 2 Hackney Carriage licences, He mined in South Africa, Tin in Venezuala, he had a Pop/fizzy drink factory, and! he went to War!

Still a Lot to learn!

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
But! I keep getting these Emails saying "HEY Johnno! This weekend is on US! Free!
So do I use the FREE w/ends, or buy some more credits ?

Still a Lot to learn!

If you're not addicted to it then I'd stick with the free weekends and buying credits as and when. A subscription to something like Ancestry, Find My Past or Genesreunited is better for addicts like me.

There are a lot of free sites ( Free BMD, FreeCen, Family Search, local family history societies who've transcribed parish records, Roots Gen etc etc) and you can get quite a long way with them but if you want actual documents you have to spend money.

The 1939 Register was only published on Monday and is the closest thing to a census we' re likely to get after the 1911 one. Unfortunately to get anything other than the briefest outline even those of us who are members have to pay extra....quite a lot extra.

Good luck with your research.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sorry should have made it clear it's the "Ancestry" and "Find My past!" sites that keep bombarding me with free offers. Should also say I have never taken them up on it! Why hurry hurry hurry get it done this w/end, I'm not into that, I get more enjoyment doing it when I feel like it ! If I feel like it I wander up to Menhiniet Graveyard, or Duloe, Sandbach, Plynt, have a wander around. Easee Peesee! innet. the buggers have been dead for a hundred years of so, they ain't going anywhere are they? No there is no hurry, if I turn me toes up it's all there if the family want to carry on!

And they will! as they age, it's natural, One of them! is going to say,
"Jeez that bloody G/dad ,G/Uncle of mine had one hell of a life , here! there! everywhere!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back