May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
none.

not a lot of space on the roof of our duetto, plus the hight cost of solar units.

agree they must be very handy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

0zzy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2009
sherborne
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 months
if you want to wild camp, its a must ours is a 120w works a treat on 2 X 110 ah batteries:Smile::Smile:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
how big is yours

hi john,hope you are well and bruno and i hope your dad is continuing to improve.we have 1 x 80watt & 1 x 100watts with 2 x85ah batterys.works really well:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi John - Don't have any yet - still awaiting the delivery of MH - will be working on doing a power budget soon and expect that to indicate I need about 110 Watt.

Hope you and Bruno are well and your Dad is getting better.

By the way some of you have mention 'polycrystaline' is this the preffered technology ?????????? (What other types are there ????????)

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 x 123 watters = 369 watts.

not 100% sure about the mono/poly crystaline thingie, i just know the type i have when you shade part of the panel, it just reduces the output accordingly,

some panels a bit of shade on a part of the panel, and it stops producing power all together, not sure that's owt to do with the cell make up, or the bypass diodes.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 x 80 and 1 x 60. More than enough for me

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
4 x 225 AH 6volt batteries, 2000 watt inverter, 7.5kw generator.

3 x 125 w panels to be fitted very soon.:Smile:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
2x130watt poly plus 3x190ah batteries. Probably ok in UK summer, nowhere near enough in winter.

Olley

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi John - Don't have any yet - still awaiting the delivery of MH - will be working on doing a power budget soon and expect that to indicate I need about 110 Watt.

Hope you and Bruno are well and your Dad is getting better.

By the way some of you have mention 'polycrystaline' is this the preffered technology ?????????? (What other types are there ????????)

We have 90W (1 40W & 1 50W) coupled to 2 110 ahr batteries.

In answer to the question about different types here is recent post by Pappjohn:

there are basically three different types of electric solar panels available.
The first type of electric solar panel is called a Monocrystalline and is created from one large single crystal. This type is the best since it can generate electricity in lower light conditions and will also produce more power from the same amount of sunlight. This means you need less of these on your roof to generate your power. The downside is that because it is made from a single expensive crystal it is a more costly panel than the other choices.
The next type of electric solar panel is called a Polycrystalline and this is similar to the first, but is constructed out of several smaller crystals. While it is not as efficient as the first type it still does a great job of converting sunlight to electricity. This type of electric solar panel is the most common and is reasonably priced.
The third style of electric solar panel is called Amorphous and it is built by applying silicon directly onto stainless steel plates. It is less efficient than the other choices and will require more of these type of electric solar panels to generate the same amount of power you would get from a few of the other two types.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
solar

we have 3x110 batt`s and 1x120 solar works ok when the sun is out.:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
In answer to the question about different types here is recent post by Pappjohn: there are basically three different types of electric solar panels available.
The first type of electric solar panel is called a Monocrystalline and is created from one large single crystal. This type is the best since it can generate electricity in lower light conditions and will also produce more power from the same amount of sunlight. This means you need less of these on your roof to generate your power. The downside is that because it is made from a single expensive crystal it is a more costly panel than the other choices.
The next type of electric solar panel is called a Polycrystalline and this is similar to the first, but is constructed out of several smaller crystals. While it is not as efficient as the first type it still does a great job of converting sunlight to electricity. This type of electric solar panel is the most common and is reasonably priced.
The third style of electric solar panel is called Amorphous and it is built by applying silicon directly onto stainless steel plates. It is less efficient than the other choices and will require more of these type of electric solar panels to generate the same amount of power you would get from a few of the other two types.

Thanks for posting that piece by Papajohn, I thought there was something but couldn't find it, I'm printing it off so I can wave it in front of my solar panel supplier (When I eventually get one :ROFLMAO:)

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
1 x 85w panel 1 battery

Looking at other posts on here I am feeling somewhat inadequate:Sad::cry::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hello John, hope Bruno is better, re solar, 3 X 75watt solar, charging 3 X 110 amp Hawker UPS batteries. Never nead hookup so worth the outlay. Regards, Dave & Ans.

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 x 120w feeding 3 120 Ah batteries. Plus 1 x 60w with a home made stand and a long lead which is plugged in to a socket in the 'van which in turn is wired to the solar side of the regulator.

This is used in the winter when the sun is low as it can be pointed at it. It is surprising just how much extra you get. Also the panels on the roof have hinges so they can be tolted for winter use.

With this lot we have stayed in one place in Portugal for up to 5 weeks in February / March without needing to fire up the genny.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Custom's tell me, Too big for one What else have you got in there, Then procedes to check every thing out. I dont dare to bring back too much as I know I am going top be pulled over. :ROFLMAO:
Sorry; 130 solar panel + 2x 110 Ahr.
Dont use EH.

Don

Wheres the spellchecker gone?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
size of solar panels

hi there,
i've been lead to understand that your 3 solar panels must all be of the same power i.e.3x80 watts!???! also i am trying to obtain a sunworks regulator/controller apparently sold by a
company called "detroit solar" anyone got a contact number or
address for them please:whatthe::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi there,
i've been lead to understand that your 3 solar panels must all be of the same power i.e.3x80 watts!???! also i am trying to obtain a sunworks regulator/controller apparently sold by a
company called "detroit solar" anyone got a contact number or
address for them please:whatthe::thumb:
No you can mix and match, A good idea is to buy one, then watch evilbay and add to them as you go along,
Somtimes they come up fairly cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back