Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Being from down south I had no idea they were building a new Forth Road Bridge, it looked spectacular in the fog with all the lights shinning, still only the support towers in place it looked a bit spooky, well worth a look of you are in the area at it is rare to see a bridge of this size being built.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Its just been mentioned on 'Coast' The wires in the suspension cable are breaking due to water ingress and rusting.
They have known about for some years and it's likely to be dangerously weakened by 2020.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The Older bridge has potentially serious defects beginning to show in the support cables, some of the strands having already failed!. Hence the need for the new bridge which is to allow the "old" bridge to be refurbished, when it eventually comes on stream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_Road_Bridge

Pete
They managed to get a Japanese company to halt the corrosion, and probably didn't need the new 'Queensferry Crossing' but the bullish Scottish government pushed on anyway.

Being built by cheap Chinese steel as well.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I was at the opening of the Forth Road Bridge as a 12 year old school girl, remember Richard Dimbleby commentary and the Queen going passed.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Why does that NOT surprise me!!!!

Pete
That's because nobody else wanred to supply it.

Transport Scotland confirmed that “no company from Scotland or the UK made a bid for the contract”.

In a statement, it said: “During the procurement for fabricated steel works, no company from Scotland or the UK made a bid for the contract. This would suggest the condition of the market in the UK did not have the capacity to take on an order of this scale.

“A further subcontract for steel fabrication was awarded to Cleveland Bridge (Darlington) – raw steel for this subcontract came from Tata Steel in both Scunthorpe and Motherwell. Contrary to misleading speculation, there were no Scottish bids for FCBC’s steel fabrication subcontracts.

“Tata Steel’s plant in Motherwell manufactures steel plate, it is not a steel fabricator. All of the steel for the south approach viaducts and the twin box sections of the north approach viaduct on the Queensferry Crossing was fabricated by Cleveland Bridge and amounts to over 7,000 tonnes of raw steel.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Some pictures of the new bridge and old from south Queensferry side.
The new bridge supports
20150821_093945.jpg

The new crossing in the background
20150821_092744.jpg

Another where you might make out all 3 crossings with the support legs for new crossing behind the present road bridge
20150820_202117.jpg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
They managed to get a Japanese company to halt the corrosion, and probably didn't need the new 'Queensferry Crossing' but the bullish Scottish government pushed on anyway.

Being built by cheap Chinese steel as well.
Maybe the Chinese will be building the bridge for wee ecks not so secret presidential castle!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the tendering costs for a project this size would be huge i would think the uk companies realised that with out goverment intervention they didnt have a cat in hells chance of competing on price so decided tendering was a waste of money

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I was at the opening of the Forth Road Bridge as a 12 year old school girl, remember Richard Dimbleby commentary and the Queen going passed.

I was also there. I remember having to wave a flag as the queen went past our school. We then we're rushed up to the bridge where we waived again as she crossed the bridge for the first time. The next day I crossed in my dad's car but th traffic on the return crossing was really bad.

Allan

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Forth Rail bridge built in 1882 still going strong. Forth road bridge built in 1964 still going strong? No, maybe its best if the Chinese do get involved, as it appears we can't build anything nowadays that lasts.

Ian

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Driving over the bridge a couple of weeks ago and seeing the new one brought back memories of been driven over the bridge just after it was opened and thinking it was so big I thought we were driving up a hill and down the other side. Also made me think I am getting old! wonder if I am still around when they build a third one?

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I was also there. I remember having to wave a flag as the queen went past our school. We then we're rushed up to the bridge where we waived again as she crossed the bridge for the first time. The next day I crossed in my dad's car but th traffic on the return crossing was really bad.

Allan
My name was pulled out of a hat to represent my class, only thing I've won.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , this reminds me of a holiday trip to Scotland back in 1982, when my son then 10, & his mate, were sat in the back of the VW Devon, playing I-spy and various other games ( before electronic games). I then pointed out "look lad's this is the Forth road bridge", only to be replied from the both of them sorry we didn't see the other three !!!
Kid's who'd have um !!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They managed to get a Japanese company to halt the corrosion
And they must have done a proper job.......
It used to be an ongoing job to paint the bridge from one end to the other then return to the other end and start again....it took a full year to paint hense the saying "its like painting the fourth road bridge" when something was taking an age to complete.
A couple of years ago it took its last coat of a new type of paint which is good for 10 years with only minor repairs.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It used to be an ongoing job to paint the bridge from one end to the other then return to the other end and start again....it took a full year to paint hense the saying "its like painting the fourth road bridge" when something was taking an age to complete.
A couple of years ago it took its last coat of a new type of paint which is good for 10 years with only minor repairs.

I think you will find that's the Forth rail bridge you are referring to papa.

Ian

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ah Yes! The rail bridge? 49 Steps comes to mind? (for the "babies" 1930`s B&W Film of John Buchnan`s Book). Or maybe even post war?.

God I AM getting old!!

Pete

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
God I AM getting old!!

Pete
Must be - I think there were only 39 Steps when he wrote it.

I keep thinking they are adding a few extra steps to the hill up to our house with every passing year. Maybe it's the same with books & films. :D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you will find that's the Forth rail bridge you are referring to papa.

Ian
Have pity on papa ... he's so bored he's been googling Google and I think its addled his brain!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Forth Rail bridge built in 1882 still going strong. Forth road bridge built in 1964 still going strong? No, maybe its best if the Chinese do get involved, as it appears we can't build anything nowadays that lasts.

Ian
It was supposed to last for 120 years!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Must be - I think there were only 39 Steps when he wrote it.

I keep thinking they are adding a few extra steps to the hill up to our house with every passing year. Maybe it's the same with books & films. :D:D

So I am sat thinking what they on about!. went back and re read? Whoops!!! Finger error again!!!. Now what was the name of the actor (without Googling it!) and the name of the character he played. (and who played the piano in Casablanca)

Pete

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your mixed up @pappajohn , it was the forth rail bridge that used to get continually painted. Big cantilever jobbie.

The road bridge road deck underside can take 10 years to paint but
Now- a- days the 'paint' lasts for 25years

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The road bridge road deck underside can take 10 years to paint but
Now- a- days the 'paint' lasts for 25years

Longer than the life of the bridge then.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back