Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This merry band of legalised robbers have had their position in society officially raised to legal and valid.
The man who was contesting the right they assumed to charge £85 fines for overstaying in a car park has been found to have no case to refuse to pay them. The highest court in the land has come out squarely on the rights of parking eye to charge for overstaying at any site they run. A case of you must now pay them and there is an enforceable right for them to do it.
The objector now has a massive bill to pay for the legal cost that Parking Eye have run up to enforce their right to charge.
They are laughing now as it was a test case so they can charge what they like and so can any other of these companies???? we have the legalised bandits back in town. Watch out for parking in supermarkets ie Aldi etc The charges also apply for not compyling with the white lines etc so the large motorhome overhanging the approved space or touching the lines will also be subject to FINES enforcable by law courts. This is all done by cameras and ANPR.
Have a nice Day!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The remedy is to boycott both their car parks and the stores' care parks they look after, letting said stores know the reason they are boycotted, of course.
The motoring fraternity is massive and powerful, but tends to roll over too readily.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
One has to wonder about the legal system, not just here but throughout Europe. But there again, if you don't shop at Aldi and charge the cost of a small semi detached house per hr. What tf would you know about the effects of your decision.:rolleyes::reel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
The remedy is to boycott both their car parks and the stores' care parks they look after, letting said stores know the reason they are boycotted, of course.
The people of the UK tend to roll over too readily.

Fixed that for you John.

No one will boycott any stores in any numbers
People will moan when they get a ticket, but still pay

A nation on whinging cap doffers I'm afraid

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is hardly surprising. Beavis lost at every stage and there was never any realistic chance of him winning in the Supreme Court. In effect he has just wasted the time of the court and our money.
Watch out for parking in supermarkets ie Aldi etc The charges also apply for not compyling with the white lines etc so the large motorhome overhanging the approved space or touching the lines will also be subject to FINES enforcable by law courts. This is all done by cameras and ANPR.
That is a total fallacy. Supermarkets are interested in bringing in customers, not turning them away. To that end they only have restrictions in place where there are problems caused by people abusing the facilities and are, in the main, quite happy for motorhome drivers who are genuine customers to park over several spaces. See their official responses to specific questions on that subject Here.

What the supermarkets (and their agents like Parking Eye) will crack down on are those people who deliberately flout the rules to the detriment of all of us. May of the car parks concerned would be stuffed to the gills by commuters if there were no controls and genuine customers would have nowhere to park.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On the other hand, the alternative is to make sure you don't overstay........ the case in point referred to a 2 hour period being overstayed by 52 minutes. They chose a very bad case to test in the Supreme Court - a lesser overstay may have produced a different result. Now we are stuck with it thanks to this :(

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
On the other hand, the alternative is to make sure you don't overstay........ the case in point referred to a 2 hour period being overstayed by 52 minutes. They chose a very bad case to test in the Supreme Court - a lesser overstay may have produced a different result. Now we are stuck with it thanks to this :(
So he stayed 43% longer than he should have done. I think you are right - this was the wrong incident to pursue.

After all, at 52 minutes past his parking time it is hardly them standing watching the seconds count down and slapping on the ticket bang on time.

I agree had they taken a test case where the overstay was only 5-10% there may have been a very different result.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Parking is a little bit of a passion with me. I hate people abusing systems. I agree that some parking charges are daylight robbery and that is not what particularly bothers me, it is just supply and demand.

What bothers me are the cheapskates who refuse to pay to park to save a couple of quid and park almost blocking roads etc. Leaving a site this weekend was a nightmare due to all the cars parked along the road. There was a car park (£2 per day) that was virtually empty but had toilet provision etc. I bet a lot of those people who wouldn't pay to park didn't mind using the facilities! The car park charge just pays for the upkeep.
It is the same at Delamere forest - the rangers and facilities have to be funded somehow but people still park dangerously on the road then expect to use the facilities for nothing.

Sorry - rant over!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That is a total fallacy. Supermarkets are interested in bringing in customers, not turning them away. To that end they only have restrictions in place where there are problems caused by people abusing the facilities and are, in the main, quite happy for motorhome drivers who are genuine customers to park over several spaces. See their official responses to specific questions on that subject Here.

What the supermarkets (and their agents like Parking Eye) will crack down on are those people who deliberately flout the rules to the detriment of all of us. May of the car parks concerned would be stuffed to the gills by commuters if there were no controls and genuine customers would have nowhere to park.
That is maybe what the supermarkets have told you but that's not what parking eye will say when they are sending you a ticket , it's no use going to aldi or whoever , they will just say it's up to parking eye, tough!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Struggling to understand what the issue is...

When you park you agree to the rules.. you enter into a contract that is clearly displayed.. Tesco near us allow 3 hours free parking.. thereafter there is a £70 charge.. not a fine, break the terms of said contract by refusing to pay the charge .. you go to court.. simple.
Even I understand that..

As Graham said.. if we didn't have time restrictions at supermarket car parks they would be overrun by commuters using them as free parking.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And your evidence consists of what?

EDIT - Perhaps this might help.
Because iv been had by parking eye before at Llandudno, year or two ago now, parked on one of their parks, in a shopping thing , anyway the machine wouldn't take my number so eventually got a ticket out of it with no number on , came off in less than the time allowed, then got a fine thingy off them , rang all the shops on the park , none of them wanted to know, as luck would have it I still had the ticket, photocopied it and sent it to p e, same response as the shops, so then I sent it to the town council, and eventually got it dropped, but no thanks to the shops.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I had a similar thing in Cleveleys Aldi they have a screen to enter your Reg on leaving. the allowed limit 1 1/2 hours We was in there for 10 min's entered the number and left the car park. a couple of weeks later a fine with photo of my car leaving the car park even though I had entered my correct number. I luckily paid by card so when my bill arrived I could prove we had shopped there that day. If we had paid cash and thrown the till reciept away I would have had to pay. The remedy was simple never been to the store again. Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Because iv been had by parking eye before at Llandudno, year or two ago now, parked on one of their parks, in a shopping thing , anyway the machine wouldn't take my number so eventually got a ticket out of it with no number on , came off in less than the time allowed, then got a fine thingy off them , rang all the shops on the park , none of them wanted to know, as luck would have it I still had the ticket, photocopied it and sent it to p e, same response as the shops, so then I sent it to the town council, and eventually got it dropped, but no thanks to the shops.
A car park serving several shops on a shopping park is different from supermarket car parks serving a single shop.
The former will be owned by a management company rather than the individual shops so it will be the management company which will have the say (and, thus, should be contacted about cancellation).
The latter is in the control of the supermarket concerned.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Struggling to understand what the issue is...

When you park you agree to the rules.. you enter into a contract that is clearly displayed.. Tesco near us allow 3 hours free parking.. thereafter there is a £70 charge.. not a fine, break the terms of said contract by refusing to pay the charge .. you go to court.. simple.
Even I understand that..

As Graham said.. if we didn't have time restrictions at supermarket car parks they would be overrun by commuters using them as free parking.
My worry would be the size issue.

We have just spent a couple of nights near Marlborough.

We wanted to visit the town yesterday and the market today. On both occasions we stayed on a designated car park and paid the requisite fee.

However, even at 7.2m we overhung all the bays. We parked reversed into a grass verge so the the rear overhang was " out of the way". Even with the rear wheels hard up against the kerb we overhung the front of the bay by about 10".

If a fine was to be levied for overhanging the bay we would be stuffed. We did all we could to alleviate any problem we might cause but still could not comply with the requirements. I have kept the parking tickets for the time being in case of any problem.

Incidentally, we carry a Blue Badge because of my wife's difficulties but disabled bays, whilst wider than standard, are never longer.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had a similar thing in Cleveleys Aldi they have a screen to enter your Reg on leaving. the allowed limit 1 1/2 hours We was in there for 10 min's entered the number and left the car park. a couple of weeks later a fine with photo of my car leaving the car park even though I had entered my correct number. I luckily paid by card so when my bill arrived I could prove we had shopped there that day. If we had paid cash and thrown the till reciept away I would have had to pay. The remedy was simple never been to the store again. Pete
But, as responses to Broken Link Removed showed at the time, Aldi are quick to cancel charges that should not have been levied.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

An example of this:

The Morrisons car park in Kettering (owned and operated by the store) used to be Pay and Display with a 3 hour (I think) limit. Buy a ticket, get a voucher to get the charge refunded if you're shopping in the store, no problem.

A couple of years ago the pay and display machines went on the blink and for some reason best known to themselves Morrisons haven't bothered fixing them.

The result... The car park is now pretty much full up every day with cars belonging to staff from Kettering General Hospital about half a mile away who park there for free instead of paying to park on site. If you want to park there to use the store or shop in the town you more often than not struggle to get a space. This is in a two storey car park.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My worry would be the size issue.

We have just spent a couple of nights near Marlborough.

We wanted to visit the town yesterday and the market today. On both occasions we stayed on a designated car park and paid the requisite fee.

However, even at 7.2m we overhung all the bays. We parked reversed into a grass verge so the the rear overhang was " out of the way". Even with the rear wheels hard up against the kerb we overhung the front of the bay by about 10".

If a fine was to be levied for overhanging the bay we would be stuffed. We did all we could to alleviate any problem we might cause but still could not comply with the requirements. I have kept the parking tickets for the time being in case of any problem.

Incidentally, we carry a Blue Badge because of my wife's difficulties but disabled bays, whilst wider than standard, are never longer.
In council car parks policies regarding overhanging bays vary so it is best to check with them if in doubt. Many councils will provide extra help for users of motorhomes with disabilities if contacted in advance.

The majority of supermarket car parks do not have parking restrictions so there is no problem with use of multiple bays. Where they do have restrictions their policies are published on the page of my web site which I referenced earlier.
If there are restrictions in place, having a word with the manager or customer services desk often results in a specific dispensation for a genuine customer (disabled or not). We have taken that approach on a number of occasions.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One in the eye for Freeloaders?
Its not unreasonable to landowners to fine people who clog up their car parks, preventing other customers from using them is it?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
In devon earlier this year, we pulled in car park with our 6.7mtr moho, parked up with 2 ft outside of white lines.
a local stopped and said the local attendants here are like little hitlers , suggested taking 2 bays & 2 tickets , that we did, no problem, now a lot more cautious.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another example of this is the 'pay to use aires' in France.. Most used to be either ''pay and display' or an attendant came around to collect the money..

But many have an aversion to paying, so would leave early.. to avoid the man.. or not buy a ticket and only pay when they saw him arrive.. . so what we now see is more and more have barriers .. get a ticket when you arrive.. pay on exit..

I know of people who spent all winter on Mimizan plage aire which also has 16A EHU .. and paid virtually nothing, they knew the Municipal police only came round every third day or so to check tickets.. so only bought a ticket when they saw them drive into the aire.. needless to say it now has barriers..

How do I know.. ? I was there.. and was shown how to 'beat the system'

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In devon earlier this year, we pulled in car park with our 6.7mtr moho, parked up with 2 ft outside of white lines.
a local stopped and said the local attendants here are like little hitlers , suggested taking 2 bays & 2 tickets , that we did, no problem, now a lot more cautious.
That was good advice though some councils don't allow use of multiple bays.

Councils tend to be hot on vehicles extending outside bays because it can result in danger for other users of the car park.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@GJH
The car park referred to is behind Safeways in Marlborough but appears to be for general use.

The Price Tariff Board clearly states that charges may be levied for certain transgressions, one of which was " parking outside the marked parking space". Hence my concern.

Where you can talk to a person face to face matters can sometimes be resolved amicably using a little bit of common sense. Where it is the all-seeing camera lens and a remote operator there is no chance to discuss it at the time, before parking.

There was also a Coach and HGV park adjacent but it clearly said no caravans or trailers allowed. There was no mention of Motorhomes either way. The lack of clarity does nothing to help.

Deleted User
I've never paid a penny to park whilst shopping in France, often used multiple bays - come to think of it I've never paid to park at the beach, or any tourist attraction either (except for an overnight stay)

Makes you wonder how they survive over there.

Rip off Britain I'm afraid and we've put up with it for so long that some of you are even arguing "their" point of view.

My parents (motorhomers) parked their van in a car park on the edge of Newquay (near the fire station) in a council carpark. it was out of season and there were probably a doz vehicles in the carpark (which probably holds 200 vehicles), they parked out of the way and paid the fee. When they got back to the vehicle, they had a ticket which they paid without question.

"well fair play, we were over the line a bit" - that is the attitude we have accepted and that is why these rules have been allowed to creep into this country.

Its not "alright" its unreasonable profiteering and we just accept it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH
The car park referred to is behind Safeways in Marlborough but appears to be for general use.

The Price Tariff Board clearly states that charges may be levied for certain transgressions, one of which was " parking outside the marked parking space". Hence my concern.

Where you can talk to a person face to face matters can sometimes be resolved amicably using a little bit of common sense. Where it is the all-seeing camera lens and a remote operator there is no chance to discuss it at the time, before parking.

There was also a Coach and HGV park adjacent but it clearly said no caravans or trailers allowed. There was no mention of Motorhomes either way. The lack of clarity does nothing to help.
I'm afraid I don't know Marlborough (incidentally I thought Safeway stores had all disappeared) but the name of the car park owner should be on the tariff board.
Wiltshire Council (if it was one of theirs) don't provide motorhome parking information on their web site (apart from the P&R) but will give advice for specific visits if contacted. It may be helpful if you were to drop them a short e-mail explaining your difficulty/dilemma and asking that they be more proactive in publishing information.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never paid a penny to park whilst shopping in France, often used multiple bays - come to think of it I've never paid to park at the beach, or any tourist attraction either (except for an overnight stay)

Rip off Britain I'm afraid and we've put up with it for so long that some of you are even arguing "their" point of view.

My parents (motorhomers) parked their van in a car park on the edge of Newquay (near the fire station) in a council carpark. it was out of season and there were probably a doz vehicles in the carpark (which probably holds 200 vehicles), they parked out of the way and paid the fee. When they got back to the vehicle, they had a ticket which they paid without question.

"well fair play, we were over the line a bit" - that is the attitude we have accepted and that is why these rules have been allowed to creep into this country.

Why is it a rip off for car park owners to make rules concerning use of their land and not a rip off if people park there willy nilly without any regard for the businesses concerned or their customers?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never paid to park at the beach, or any tourist attraction either (except for an overnight stay)

what is the parking charge at Euro Disney now ?

last I heard it was €30 .. do you consider that a fair an equitable charge for parking with no facilities ?

Is this an an example of 'rip-off' France.. ?

No.. it's not.. it's what Euro Disney have decided ' the market would support'.. ( fancy words for what the mugs will pay)

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp

By that same logic (i.e. it is unreasonable to charge for someone using more than they have paid for) if apples are listed clearly as 4 for £2 it is ok to take 5?
If not then why is it reasonable to pay for one parking space and use 2? - or to pay for 2 hours and stay for 3?
Would you get in a taxi for a journey and after you paid expect him to take you another mile?

The poster who paid for 2 tickets as they were using 2 bays employed a very valid and sensible solution in my opinion.

Space is a valuable commodity - far more so in this country than most others. If you own some why wouldn't you charge for it?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I'm afraid I don't know Marlborough (incidentally I thought Safeway stores had all disappeared) but the name of the car park owner should be on the tariff board.
Wiltshire Council (if it was one of theirs) don't provide motorhome parking information on their web site (apart from the P&R) but will give advice for specific visits if contacted. It may be helpful if you were to drop them a short e-mail explaining your difficulty/dilemma and asking that they be more proactive in publishing information.
Sorry. It was a Waitrose Supermarket, not Safeways.

Can only plead senility in my defence.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Marlborough parking is a bu**er the wardens have even booked marked police vehicles in the high street.the car park in question is Wiltshire Council.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back